Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Makeup issues

Silver Member ChangingEventually's Avatar

Default Makeup issues

Okay, I have a really big problem. I can't find ANY makeup that is my real color. So, I usually mix some. But even that isn't working. My face is somehow always the tiniest bit paler or darker than my neck.

Also, I have oily oily oily skin. When I wear makeup, I look shiny around my nose and on my chin. If I blot it out, the makeup comes off too. I have a bunch of pimples on my chin this week too (like, six in a row, it's scary, I've never had this much before), so I'm depending on makeup.

Any recommendations?

Recommendations? No. But sign me up if you find solutions. You're describing my face!

"The howling backwoods that is IMDB is where film criticism goes to die (and then have its corpse gang-raped, called a racist, and accused of supporting Al-Qaeda)" ----Sean O'Neal, The Onion AV Club

Quote Originally Posted by ChangingEventually View Post
    Okay, I have a really big problem. I can't find ANY makeup that is my real color. So, I usually mix some. But even that isn't working. My face is somehow always the tiniest bit paler or darker than my neck.
    I know there are some make-up lines out there that will custom match and mix your foundation for you. I think Philosophy is one. I've never had it done, so I can't vouch for any of them, but I know they're out there and some people swear by them.

Also, I have oily oily oily skin. When I wear makeup, I look shiny around my nose and on my chin. If I blot it out, the makeup comes off too. I have a bunch of pimples on my chin this week too (like, six in a row, it's scary, I've never had this much before), so I'm depending on makeup.

Any recommendations?
    Maybe try using loose powder and a brush or if you use pressed, pat it on instead of rubbing. And make sure you're using oil free foundation & powder, otherwise you've got an oil slick an hour after you put it on. I have oily skin, too, and I don't even bother with foundation any more. It just makes matters worse for me. If I have a pimple, I dab concealer only on the pimple and dust powder over it. The rest of my face I use pressed powder only.
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

A*O

If you live near a large department store, go and whore yourself around all the makeup counters and get those snooty bitches to get off their superior asses and give you some advice. Also, if you are slapping on a heavy foundation you are never going to get a perfect match, especially if you don't blend, blend, blend around the jaw/neck area. I have the oily T-zone too and I use a pressed, matt powder that covers most blemishes and evens out the skintone. Most makeup brands do them now. I happen to use Clinique because it's the right colour for me but I'm sure if you shop around you will find one that's as near perfect as you're going to get.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

I don't have good advice regarding foundation, but I have super oily & blemish-prone skin, and I swear by Proactiv. I resisted it for years, because I was determined not to get sucked in by the hype, but the stuff WORKS. I have a pimple, like, once a year now. If I do have problems, it's on my chin, due to putting my chin in my hands, and from telephones.

Proactiv has this stuff that they say will control the oil on your face, but it doesn't. It's similar to a Lancome product I tried a while back. So far, I just haven't found a product that controls the production of oil on my face during the day. I just blot.

I am currently using the L'Oreal version of Bare Esscentuals (?).... what is it, Bare Naturale or something. I still have to blot, but it's better than most liquid products. Also, I find that, with this product, I can compensate for fluctuations in my skin color with whatever powder I use.
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

I'm prone to pimples, too, and the only thing that has ever worked for me is Clinique's acne foam wash, night gel, & day shield. I'm very allergic to benzoyl peroxide or I'd have tried Proactiv - I know several people who had very bad skin and it was like a magic potion for them. Clinique's has salicylic acid in a concentration that's a lot stronger than what I found in drug store brands, so I tried that and it works for me.

pretending to be a lurker but I'm not quiet enough

Lobes, do you have to keep on using Proactive or can you stop once your skin gets better?

I have an oily skin, too. MAC's matte pressed poweder is the best I've ever tried but the colour the makeup person there picked for me didn't quite match. I think it's all trial and error, cuz the lighting at the cosmetic counter is going to be different from home or your work so you may not get the right shade.

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

I dunno, because I've always kept using it. I would suppose that it's best to keep using it, because if I miss a day, I can tell the following day. I originally bought it for my daughter, because the dermatologist wasn't helping her. (Turned out that the Proactiv helped far more than the doctor.) I tried it, and started getting it for myself. Now I have my 12 yr old son use it, too.
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

To get a great colour match, try Prescriptives. It's a bit pricey, but it's definitely worth it. I have T-zone skin and I find keeping my skin clean at night -- if I ever leave my makeup on, I break out instantly -- and keeping my hands off my face works well. I use MAC blotting powder and it works.

Clean and Clear will clear up pimples fairly quickly, and so does toothpaste if you're broke.

A*O

Yay for MAC blotting powder! MAC/Estee Lauder/Clinique are all the same company anyway. I always used the Clinique 3-step cleansing system and it worked really well. As I got older I was told it wouldn't suit 'mature' skin, but I keep going back to it. Clinique Visible Difference Moisturising Lotion is fantastic - it does exactly what it says on the bottle.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

I've always found Clinique to be harsh on my skin, but I know people who swear by it.
    Last edited by pacific breeze; November 12th, 2006 at 05:05 PM.

Clinique Super Fit foundation. I haven't used this since my 20's but I remember it being a light, oil free foundation to even out the skin.

Clinique also used to make a foundation called Work Out Makeup but I didn't see it on their site.

You might do well with an oil free tint - Lancome and Bobbi Brown.

For my skin (dry cheeks, semi oily t-zone) I still like Lancome and Estee Lauder foundations. They also color match.

If you feel you have to use foundation to look ok in everyday life I think you should go see a derm - sometimes minor skin problems are overlooked but prove to be as much of a hassel as severe ones if you have to conceal them everyday - I know lots of people are opposed to the Accutane treatment but I'm really happy to have done it just to get rid of a shiny skin problem and a very occasional pimple - It's perfect now

I thought Accutane was sort of a last resort? I always heard it was for severe acne problems and might cause some serious side effects.

try this...

it doesnt have much color but covers well, so you dont have to try as hard to match the color

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information