Thread: Celebrity Perfumes Reviewed

Default Celebrity Perfumes Reviewed

Celebs have a nose for popular scents
    By Hillary Atkin, Special for USA TODAY

More celebrities are realizing they can make dollars with scents. Britney Spears' new Fantasy fragrance made its debut a day after baby Sean Preston was born and a year after her first perfume, Curious, went on the market. But how does "the juice," as they call it in the perfume trade, stack up to a star's image? Two expert noses, Maurice Roucel, creator of the new Guess fragrance, and Laurice Rahmé, creator of Bond No. 9 perfumes, provide an olfactory analysis of celebrity fragrances.

Roucel's review Rahmé's review

Britney Spears
    Fantasy
    1.7 fl. oz., $45 Red lychee, kiwi, cupcake, jasmine, white chocolate orchid, creamy musk
    "This is a very sweet fragrance which makes you think of a delicious pastry, such as a red fruit pie. It is slightly caramelized, thus enticing your appetite, and reflecting that aspect of her stage persona. Teenagers will love it."
    "She has a lot of character, but this is much lighter. It's not a powerful scent. This is much more discreet, which really doesn't go with her. But perhaps it reflects a temporary stage with her ...motherhood, and a calmer, quieter life."

Jennifer Lopez
    Live
    1.7 fl. oz., $39.50 Sicilian lemon, Italian orange, pineapple, peony, violet, sandalwood
    "It's juvenile and playful. The dominance of fruit notes with the sugary sweetness of candy is too girly, too singular for the multi-faceted, sophisticated Jennifer of today."
    "I'm surprised it was so discreet. It's definitely announcing a different Jennifer, a lighter version of her. It's sparkling, with a very edible, fruity note, but the sexiness is not here."

Sarah Jessica Parker
    Lovely
    1.7 fl. oz., $48 Mandarin, bergamot, rosewood, lavender, patchouli, orchid, white ambers
    "Its flowery, spicy and wooded scent gives energy, dynamism and elegance to this fragrance. Its classical style and allure fits perfectly with her character."
    "She's refreshing, with a big smile, very girly, and so is the fragrance. It has a very sparkling top note that is effervescent like she is. It's a little seductive, but mostly playful, so it's really her personality."

Celine Dion
    Parfums Belong
    1.7 fl. oz., $35 Red pepper berries, bergamot, pineapple, orchid, peony, cotton flower, Hinoki wood
    "The soft sensuality given through vanilla and woods represents the richness of her voice and elegance. The fresh, fruity notes and peppery citrus bring a 'star' energy which sparkles."
    "It's a nicely balanced real floral, appealing to a more mature crowd. It fits with her conventional, straightforward, yet commercial image. It's like a bouquet of flowers everyone's going to love."

Donald Trump,
    The Fragrance
    3.4 fl. oz., $60 Citrus, cucumber, mint, black basil, pepper, "luxurious, exotic woods"
    "The first color that comes to mind is green. This fragrance corresponds to his classical character, but there is a lack of daring nature and insolence that we can find in Donald Trump's temperament."
    "It's very nice, powerful, very masculine — a great men's scent. It's very traditional and not progressive. He's a classic businessman, and it's good with his wardrobe. It's safe and secure, not risky. Bankers and lawyers will like it."

Paris Hilton
    1.7 fl. oz., $39 Fuji apple, peach nectar, tuberose, night blooming jasmine, pheromones
    "This fragrance represents the ideal young blond girl who has a slender and elegant figure. It has a flowery scent and inspires kindness. It really fits the image of a candy-pink and sheer California girl."
    "It's playful, very fresh and young. It looks like her. It's also a contradiction, by being not risky, and very safe. It's not like her fashions, or her sometimes very audacious behavior. It's pretty, but young and not womanly."

I've heard that the Britney one smells good, but it sounds too sweet to me. i don't want to smell like a cupcake or a pie.

I want to try Lovely. It sounds like something I'd like.

i heard that it is better to smell like sweets and other food, so when other people smell that food they think of you.

pretending to be a lurker but I'm not quiet enough

The Brit perfume smelled like celery to me...

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

brits perfume smells like cupcakes for real. not for me.
    http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/8910/congo36xq.jpg
    la maison est où le sang est
    avatar credit http://www.livejournal.com/users/teh_indy/

A*O

They all lack the most important thing in a perfume - 'sophistication' - but I guess none of the slappers who put their names to it would know what the word means.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

The Paris one isn't too bad, I smelled it in a department store. I'd still never buy it though. SJP's is good too.

Fantasy really does have a main scent of cupcake. The first layer is a bit of sweet floral, but when that does it's disappearing act you are left smelling like a cupcake all day (no, I didn't make the mistake of putting it on-I sprayed it on a fragrance strip b/c I was curious).

I don't like smelling like baked goods. J-Lo's sounds good, but I'd never ever give that bitch a dime.

Bronze Member

I just stated this in another thread, but Britney Spears perfumes are rip off's of others.

Curious = Nanette Lepore by Nanette Lepore

Fantasy = Pink Sugar by Aqualina

Go to Sephora and check it out.

haven't smelled SJP's or trump's, but all the others are too sweet, and fruity or sweet scents give me a headache.

Bronze Member

Donald Trump Has A Perfume?

ReinaBikipatra

SJP's was NASTY. I was a bit tipsy but I tossed my sample up in the air and it landed on the floor.

Thread Information