Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Shampoo that promotes hair growth

Default Shampoo that promotes hair growth

My youngest daughter wants to let her hair grow out. It is between her chin and shoulders. She called me at work yesterday and asked if I thought she should buy some shampoo at Sally's to help her hair grow. I told her I didn't really think it would work...I had been told the best thing to help your hair grow is scalp stimulation...
    Thoughts? Anyone ever used such a shampoo? Did it work?
    THE EASIEST WAY OUT IS THROUGH....

You're lucky, because coincidentally, I'm an expert on this.

Most shampoos that promise hair growth are a waste of money.

Scalp stimulation is indeed helpful, which I found surprising. On a trip to Sri Lanka someone told me an old ayuverda secret: massage your scalp with a lotion of some very rich oil (coconut, olive, sheabutter) and freshly ground black pepper. I did that and it was super effective. It makes you're scalp tingle very pleasantly. If possible, leave it in over night. But make sure you don't ruin your sheets.

Another thing that's effective are food supplements. Take lots of zinc and panthenol for about four weeks, you'll see the results quickly. be careful with the zinc though, one shouldn't take too much of that over a longer period of time.

I did both things combined and people actually asked me if I had gotten extensions, because my hair started growing like crazy all of a sudden.

Really? Black pepper? Wow.
    My hair is real short (about an inch $ 1/2 long) and grows like a weed. The stylist says it's because it is so short and my scalp gets stimulated when I wash it...will let her know about the suggestions-thanks
    THE EASIEST WAY OUT IS THROUGH....

Quote Originally Posted by Chilly Willy View Post
    You're lucky, because coincidentally, I'm an expert on this.

Most shampoos that promise hair growth are a waste of money.

Scalp stimulation is indeed helpful, which I found surprising. On a trip to Sri Lanka someone told me an old ayuverda secret: massage your scalp with a lotion of some very rich oil (coconut, olive, sheabutter) and freshly ground black pepper. I did that and it was super effective. It makes you're scalp tingle very pleasantly. If possible, leave it in over night. But make sure you don't ruin your sheets.

Another thing that's effective are food supplements. Take lots of zinc and panthenol for about four weeks, you'll see the results quickly. be careful with the zinc though, one shouldn't take too much of that over a longer period of time.

I did both things combined and people actually asked me if I had gotten extensions, because my hair started growing like crazy all of a sudden.
    Wow, get the hell outta here!! I might try this myself!! I have already been putting olive oil on my hair as often as I can remember (overnight) but maybe I'll try this instead! So, use a LOTION made of oil and fresh ground pepper?? A lot of pepper or just a hint?? And do you use enough lotion to saturate your hair?

Where's Alice?? She needs to get in on this too!!

Thanks Chilly!

pretending to be a lurker but I'm not quiet enough

I'm gonna try this pepper massage! My head hair grows super slow...like 1 cm a month...other kinds of my body hair seem to grow faster though, damn it.

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

^ I am too! Its funny b/c the Curetage set of hair products I got have those ingrediants (all natural btw) but to hear first hand experience from someone who has no reason to lie is very assuring! Since you said it worked for you Chilly; I'm totally gonna try! OUt of curiousity what was your hair like before? And did you take photos?

Some good ideas ChillyWilly. I hope they work as I want to grow my hair even longer atm!

Silver Member

Wow! This sounds great!
    But I'd like to know if the oil and black pepper do any damage to coloured hair? I just coloured my hair from blond to brunette and I'd like to protect the colour...

Quote Originally Posted by LynnieD View Post
    So, use a LOTION made of oil and fresh ground pepper?? A lot of pepper or just a hint?? And do you use enough lotion to saturate your hair?
    Not too much, it might be a little strong on your scalp. But enough that it actually smells like pepper. Also don't mix it fresh every night, but mix a bottle and let it sit.

I don't saturate my hair, just the scalp. And a little olive oil for the tips. Or coconut oil, both have the same effect, only coconut smells better. I think saturating your hair is very good for it, but a hell of a mess, especially if you leave it in over night.

Quote Originally Posted by AliceInWonderland View Post
    Since you said it worked for you Chilly; I'm totally gonna try! OUt of curiousity what was your hair like before? And did you take photos?
    At times I thought, my hair does not grow at all. It has alway been a little longer than shoulder length and the growth just seemed to stagnate. Maybe it was even worse, because it's very curly, so you can't really tell.

But in 2004 I started using that pepper stuff and my hair was growing like crazy. At first I realized that, because I had to dye my roots every other week. A couple of months later people started asking me about extensions. Then I knew there was finally some progress.

Now my hair is about 30 cm (12 inches) longer than two and a half years ago, it's down to my hips now. And I cut the tips regularly. It's crazy! I didn't believe in it At ALL, but now I know better. Besides, it looks very healthy.

Quote Originally Posted by Martirio View Post
    Wow! This sounds great!
    But I'd like to know if the oil and black pepper do any damage to coloured hair? I just coloured my hair from blond to brunette and I'd like to protect the colour...
    I don't know about that. I dye my hair blond and it had no effect on that at all.
    Last edited by Chilly Willy; October 24th, 2006 at 08:35 AM.

Hi Chilly Willy,

I just read your posts on oiling the hair. Do you have to do this every night to see results?

How often did you do it?

SVZ

Take MSM, makes your hair (and eyelashes) grow like crazy. 2000 g a day. It's methylsulfurmetoishefoaie-whatever..

How long do you have to take MSM to see results?

SVZ

Depends on the person, but a week won't cut it, I'd say 3 months since your hair grows in cycles. It makes your nails stronger too

pretending to be a lurker but I'm not quiet enough

Quote Originally Posted by SVZ View Post
    Take MSM, makes your hair (and eyelashes) grow like crazy. 2000 g a day. It's methylsulfurmetoishefoaie-whatever..
    I have a bottle of MSM capsules, too. The consultant person at this vitamin store I went to told me it's good for skin and nails.

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

i have a whole countertop of prescriptions and natural remedies and pills and potions but i have to say that something's working my cousin thought i had gotten extensions when she saw me last I also been trying my hardest to eat right, get enough water and sleep enough...somewhat. And Im Italian so i'll never have a problem growing eyelashes anyway - but one thing thats also positive is b/c of all the stuff i do for my hair; my nails are growing nicely as well!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information