Thread: Fine hair product recommendations

Default Fine hair product recommendations

Hi, I have fine hair that tends to get greasy after just a day. I've been using Nexus products for the last couple of years and I really like it. However, I usually go to the gym everyday and get my hair all sweaty and must wash it everyday sometimes even twice a day (eeek!). Hence I've been substituting Tresemme or Pantene a couple of times a week to make my haircare more cost-effective.

Are there products that you guys have tried that you would suggest for fine hair? I have longish hair so I don't want something that will weigh my hair down too much and make it appear flat. (It would be nice if the product didn't cost tooooo much considering I go through shampoo/conditioner every other week, but cost is not really my topmost priority). Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated....

I wouldn't use Pantene at all, or Pert. If you really wanna go cheap, opt for Suave, because for a cheap shampoo, it at least has a low ph. But professional products are very concentrated and meant to be used sparingly. I think overwashing ones hair will cause that oily feel. Try going to everyother day, after your workouts. Stick with the professional products, skimp elsewhere

Meryl doesn't even try anymore. She just calls Lanvin and asks for curtains with a belt.~Bitter
    Can we interest you in Leann Rimes? She has a nice little cadre of fans you'd probably enjoy.~ Pecan Pie

First, I suggest you shorten your hair length and get a good cut. That will do wonders. I have very fine, thin hair and it helps a lot. Long hair is always going to look stringier and flatter.

Secondly, do NOT wash your hair every day as it will make your scalp oilier. I use Aveda and Nioxin products and alternate them with good results. If your hair feels too sweaty, comb a small amount of tacum powder through, starting at the roots. It's a great way to absorb excess oil. And use conditioner very sparingly and ONLY on the ends of your hair. I condition about once every two or three weeks -- you don't need more if you cut down on the washing and use smaller amounts of product.

I have finally given up on fancy hairdos, mousse, or sprays. I invest in good products, quality highlights (I'm blonde but need a little help) and an excellent cut. I actually get compliments on my hair now from people who tell me that it is so shiny and chic looking. Quite a change from the flat, stringy, always oily-looking hair of my past.

I would NOT shorten the length.(if you like it) I think that is a common misconception. Fine/thin hair will look fine/thin short or long. Look at all the runway models. long fine hair. You will never make fine/thin hair look thick but you can keep it from looking stringy. Nioxin shampoo is great for fine hair. Also put a leave in conditioner on the ends. This will help with breakage that people get with fine hair.
    Boom, I got your boyfriend, boom I got your man.

I have very fine hair, too, and not that much of it.

I found that once I started colouring my hair, the texture changed for the better. It felt and looked thicker.

I think Suave is a great shampoo, too. I buy it a lot.

I do use mousse once in a while, but I don't like hair gel. Maybe I don't know how to apply hair gel properly, but it seemed to weigh my hair down and make it look awful.

Gel shouldn't be used on fine hair for exactly the reasons you mentioned. Most people who have fine hair look better with a shorter cut -- the more hair you have, the more hassle you have, and hair carries its own weight, just like gel.

Runway models have great-looking hair no matter what the texture because they have people to make their hair look perfect all the time. Unless somebody can afford their own on-call hairdresser, long, thin, fine hair is not really an option.
    Last edited by pacific breeze; December 2nd, 2006 at 02:07 PM.

There is a Marc Anthony thickening product that I really like. It is around 6 US dollars at the drug store. I'm not sure of the actual name, but it's in a tube that is a pinkish/orange color.

Elite Member

i swear by henna..i have esxtremely thick hair which is nightmare sometimes but friends with fine hair who've tried it seem to find it helps..you might want to try it..

How long does Henna last? I'm having a hard time keeping a darker shade of colour on my hair. Is it damaging like other hair colours?

Meryl doesn't even try anymore. She just calls Lanvin and asks for curtains with a belt.~Bitter
    Can we interest you in Leann Rimes? She has a nice little cadre of fans you'd probably enjoy.~ Pecan Pie

Elite Member

hi sprynkles!
    henna lasts for a while, like a few months, and it is not damaging at all, in fact it conditions your hair..but i wouldn't recommend it if you have colored hair or highlights, it will mess those up pretty badly.
    it is pretty much only good for never-colored hair (that's what i have.)
    there are other natural dyes you can research online, like indigo etc.., they are made from herbs and plants and things also.
    good luck btw!!

Silver Member ChangingEventually's Avatar

Okay, so, my hair is actually already kind of full but I wanted a bit more OOMF, so I tried this conditioner called got2b 2 (sexy) Voluptuous Volume aero conditioner. Uh, it's actually made my hair incredibly thick and it looks thicker and bigger than before. I love it.

Here's a pic of the bottle:

It's kind of cheap but it worked so well for me.

Thread Information