Thread: Red Lipstick

Elite Member

Default Red Lipstick

Okay, what red lipstick do you prefer? I'm on the hunt for a red lipstick. The one I have now is called Cherries Jubilee and I believe it's from Elizabeth Arden. I've had it for years. I want a new one for the fall. Any one you'd reccomend? What's hot right now, anyone know? What brand, what color? I don't buy fashion magazines, so I have nooooo idea.

A*O

There's another red lippy thread somewhere but it's OLD so rather than ressurect it let's start again. I can't wear it myself - my lips are too thin dammit - but I think the trick is to decide if a 'blue red' or a 'yellow red' suits you better. Go to a big dept store with lots of snooty beauty bitches in the cosmetics dept and ask them. They'll try to sell you their brand of course, but they'll tell you what shade suits you.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Elite Member

LMAO at snooty bitches...haha!

I actually prefer blue-reds. I have olive skin so orangy reds don't look good on me. I should look up that red lipstick thread...thanks!

I like reds that have brown in them, Elizabeth Arden's Autumn lipstick, for example. Sometimes I mix a couple of lipsticks together, to get the right red-brown shade, because I don't like the look of full-on red.

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    There's another red lippy thread somewhere but it's OLD so rather than ressurect it let's start again. I can't wear it myself - my lips are too thin dammit - but I think the trick is to decide if a 'blue red' or a 'yellow red' suits you better. Go to a big dept store with lots of snooty beauty bitches in the cosmetics dept and ask them. They'll try to sell you their brand of course, but they'll tell you what shade suits you.
    i was about to say that, but A*O said it funnier
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

I'm on a quest for the perfect red lipstick as well (I have very fair, cool-toned skin). I plan to just head on down to Holt Renfrew one of these days for a consultation with the nice Chanel girls. I reckon I could probably search in vain forever on my own.
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

Quote Originally Posted by PrettyGirl View Post
    LMAO at snooty bitches...haha!

I actually prefer blue-reds. I have olive skin so orangy reds don't look good on me. I should look up that red lipstick thread...thanks!
    Generally people with olive-toned skin (like mine) look better in orangey or browny reds. Blue red is more for fair-skinned people. The ones I like are Mac's Viva Glam or Russian Red, Bobbi Brown's Redwood, Dior's Tres Tres Rouge (Indian Red is gorgeous, but the wrong shade for me) and I'm sure there are lots more out there I haven't had time to try yet. Oh, Mac's Moroccan red is gorgeous and subtle with hints of gold.

I love Mac too and Lancome. I find them moist and they stay on. If you want to try a softer red, but still a real red, try Angel Red by Clinique. You can put it on as a semi sheer or build it up. Creamy with a little shine.

I find that Clinique and and Lancome lipsticks don't stay on very long, although I like some of the colours.

Elite Member

Thank you Pacific Breeze...those suggestions sound great. I'm going to check out the M.A.C. counter...even the names of these red lipsticks sound exotic and rich.

I wonder what lipsticks people like Gwen Stefani and Christina Aguilera use...they're so red and so matte. It looks like they have to scrub that color off...lol

Gold Member

ooohhh, Russian Red used to be my lipcolor for years....I miss that color. I might have to visit the MAC counter this weekend. Right now I'm using up Vincent Longo's rede, it's a sheer red gloss. It's ok, it gives a nice daytime look without being too dark.
    If you can't be a good example -- then you'll just have to be a horrible warning

Thread Information