Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Have you ever had braces?

Default Have you ever had braces?

I just turned 27. I got my braces on in January. So far it has been a major improvement. I for sure will wear my retainer for the time my orthodontis tells me to. I get them off in about 2 years.
    If you've had braces, and wore your retainer for the amount time told to, has your teeth moved to be less perfect? How long did you wear them for? I know every case is different.
    I'm just curious.

When I wore braces I think we wore them for 15 years. Just kidding, but it felt like a lifetime. Probably 3 years. For some reason I was never given a retainer. My front teeth never quite moved all the way together. I got veneers when I was 28.

Keep up the good work!

I wore them for about 18 months when i was 13 or 14. My lazy ass orthodontist never finished the job and took them off while there was still a gap between my 2 front teeth and my bottom teeth are still slightly crooked. I wore my retainer on top for a really long time and they haven't shifted, I have a permanent retainer behind my bottom teeth. My orthodontist finally agreed that he screwed up and didn't finish so he'd fix it at his cost, but he would only put the metal ones on and I was 20 years old when he said he would do it. I had already been through regular braces, it set me really far back musically, and I wasn't about to go through that again at 20. If he gives me invisalign or "behind the teeth braces" I'll do it, but I refuse to go through real braces again.

Unfortunately we didn't learn our lesson with that orthodontist and allowed him to do my sister's braces as well. He missed the fact that she still had 1 baby tooth when he put the braces on. We didn't catch it until after the braces came off and our dentist pointed it out. So, she got the baby tooth pulled, let the adult tooth come in, and then he had to put braces back on her (once again at his cost) to fix the alignment from having the extra tooth being fitted its way in.

That's awful, Noday. Two of my kids have had braces, and the orthodontist was great. He & his staff were incredibly conscientious. My daughter's teeth, especially, look incredible. She got her braces off 3 years ago, and still look perfect.
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

I had braces. What they didn't tell you back then is that is cause bone loss. And that you really should get some major cleans at least once a year when the wires are off. I mean scalings done. I had them for 3 years. I had always had major issues with my gums after I got the braces off. Finally after years of bleeding, I went to a periodontist who told me I had lost a lot of bone. That it all started with those fucking braces and that my ortho never told me the things I should have done. Like the major scalings. ALWAYS use mouth wash. Get regular cleanings twice a year. I tell everyone so no one has to suffer like I have.

Oh and yes, I had a retainer. I still have the fucking thing. They told me I would have to wear indefinately. What kind of shit is that? Cheap ass orthodontist. I hope your retirement is hell. HELL.

I’m 33 and I’m sporting a "tin grin" as mom calls it . I have had them on for two years, and have about a year to go. I will also wear my retainer as long as my ortho tells me.
    ><((((º>·. ¸¸. ·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>><((((º>`·.¸¸.··´¯`·...¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º> `·.¸¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>

yup i got mine off 2 months ago, im proud happy and thrilled i had shocking teeth my top row is perfect but i apparantly only have 3 wisdom teeth one is missing in action so my bottom row has a gap on either side because there was nothing there to help close the gap, considering what i started with i love my results, i try my braces on once a week just to check to see if there still all good. For me it was a huge confidence boost i havent stopped smiling next on my agenda is teeth whitening and a professional clean (when i can afford it)

A*O

I sucked my thumb as a kid and so developed an overbite. Plus I had too many teeth in a small jaw (YES! I actually have a SMALL mouth!!!). I wore braces for about 3 years from about age 11-14 and it did the trick. My daughter had the same problem and she's now at the end of the braces and process and wears a retainer at night and has a wire fixed behind her top teeth to keep them in position until they 'set'. I'm sure it was worth the $5K
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

My parents paid for my braces when I was 13, and they looked perfect after 2 years. Then my brother stepped on my upper retainer and broke it...and the top teeth have shifted a bit. They are no longer perfect on top, but they look way better than the snaggle grin I used to wear.

My bottom teeth are more beligerent. I stopped wearing my removable retainer because I got lazy, and within a few months they were horribly crooked again. I was 18 at that point and paid to have the bottom in braces again. I now wear a permanent retainer behind the bottom teeth and probably always will. Get it replaced about every 5 or 6 years.

I am so grateful that my parents gave me braces, and now I'm going to be passing on the favor...my first son's teeth are REALLY bad. He went in for a cleaning last month (he is 7) and the dentist told me I really should get in for a consultation and get the ball rolling. I was like..."I knew he'd need them...but he is SEVEN! I was thinking in a few years, at least!" If I don't go ahead and get him braces within the next year the dentist wants to pull some teeth to make some temporary room. His mouth is such a mess, poor kid. Hopefully my second son won't have the same issues...he has a much bigger mouth and space between his teeth.
    Value the future on a timescale longer than your own. -Richard Dawkins

I had an open bite. and a tongue thrust. I never sucked my thumb. When I went to bite down on a piece of cheese, or pasta, anything thin, the food would slip right through. I hid it well though. When I smiled in pictures I'd only show my top teeth. Even though I still have my braces on, I smile different. I am so exited to have them off...in 2 years.
    I was also told by my orthodontist that I have to wear a perminient retainer on the bottom inside teeth.
    They also give me a youthful look. Teehee!

Algernon-
    My son’s dentist told me the same thing (He is also 7), so I took him to see my Ortho and he told me he is way to young to do anything and his teeth are still doing their baby thing. You might want to take your son to another dentist and ask his opinion. If you pull teeth before they are ready then it can screw up his mouth even more.
    ><((((º>·. ¸¸. ·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>><((((º>`·.¸¸.··´¯`·...¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º> `·.¸¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>

NoDayButToday, Thats really sad. He should go back and take some dental classes! I hope all that was bought to his attention.

DarkBunny, does it cause bone loss on all people, or certain cases? I just thought when braces move your teeth, it also moves the roots as well and thats it. Thats so sad. I bet you have a nice smile though Bones regrow.

Butterfly, thanks for the heads-up! I really want to get in and talk to someone, but I don't know who to call. There are so many orthos around here I wouldn't begin to know who is good or who to trust. My orthodontist is retired.

I need to start talking to people about who they go to and their experiences.
    Value the future on a timescale longer than your own. -Richard Dawkins

I'm 19 and have had clear braces since November 2004. Get them off soon, but really, with the clear, I dont really notice them, and they dont hurt me anymore at all. I absolutely love my teeth now as well. My orthodontist is my fucking hero!

I have to have a wire in my mouth under my 2 front teeth for life when i get them off apparently, so the gap between my two front teeth doesn't re-open. And I knew a guy who had braces at 15, never wore the retainer, or looked after his teeth, and by 18, his teeth were screwed up again, a waste of 5 grand.

I had extremely crooked teeth and wore braces for around 3 years. Never had any problems with them and when they came off, I had a retainer cemented behind my front bottom teeth. It's been there for close to 15 years. I had a top retainer made and wore it for a few years, but don't wear it at all anymore.

My teeth are still straight, though I still have all my wisdom teeth and every now and again, they hurt. I'm worried they might try and push some of my other teeth out of the way.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information