Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How many hairs do you lose a day?

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

Unhappy How many hairs do you lose a day?

Can some of you actually count them and post the amount here please?

b/c maybe i'm paranoid (b/c of my previous hair disaster) but I swear I've lost a lot lately especially right after my showers; and I treat my hair w/ kid gloves (cold showers, gentle proper shampoo in light amounts, barely any blowdrying or straightening and not too much brushing/combing) its so depressing; i'm going to have to go back to the dermatologist (which i don't want to b/c its about $40.00 outta pocket for a crappy 5 min. visit) but I don't want to and my hair looks ok as a whole from afar, but when you look closely you can see right through it I swear its like so thin and yeah its dark on a white scalp but i don't know if its normal...

IIRC, about 100 per day is normal. How are your blood levels? I was diagnosed with anemia a while back, and my hair was falling out big time, way over 100 per day. One day, I stopped counting after 150. I've since started taking iron supplements and I am losing much less hair, though it's still really thin and will take a while to get thicker (according to my doc). Thyroid problems and hormonal imbalances can also cause hair loss, and so can birth control pills.

Hormones can just wreck your hair.....
    Since I am pregnant, my hair is not falling out nearly as much as before. However, if it's anything like last time, a few months after the bambino is born it'll fall out in clumps. Its horrifying. So, I can relate to being somewhat alarmed.
    I think it has to do w/genetics and imbalances; both hormonal and vitamin related. Though, I could be wrong.
    Try not to worry, but I know its a lot easier said than done.

I have noticed at certain times of the year i lose more hair. it seems to come in cycles. Sometimes the drain is full and others barely a hair there!

But just imagine the hot, stylish wigs you can wear!
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Or....

thnx for the smile Grimm & Mac; i needed that cause I ain't gettin' my blood checked anytime soon; i'm too scared of what they'll find! If my paranoia continues I might go back to the doc, but it'll prob. be a pschyo-analyst, even my teenage cousin offered to pay for my therapy guess i'm pretty nutz!

I have really thick hair and I lose quite alot in the shower, i thought it was a realy big problem, but apparently its totally normal. I dont have bald patches, it just keeps coming out.

I seem to have ridiculous amounts of hair - enough for three people probably. I lose tons of hair everyday, way more than 100 strands. I have to unclog my drains every week, pulling out gobs of hair. My floors are always covered in hair as well. It's always been like that. I guess I'm a big shedder.

WOULD going on birth-control w/ the estrogen and everything help me grow hair on my head?

I'll do it if it does!!

Avoid stress. If you figure out how, let me know! I always seem to have three to five times as many hairs falling out when I am under stress.

"The howling backwoods that is IMDB is where film criticism goes to die (and then have its corpse gang-raped, called a racist, and accused of supporting Al-Qaeda)" ----Sean O'Neal, The Onion AV Club

Quote Originally Posted by missbazilb View Post
    I seem to have ridiculous amounts of hair - enough for three people probably. I lose tons of hair everyday, way more than 100 strands. I have to unclog my drains every week, pulling out gobs of hair. My floors are always covered in hair as well. It's always been like that. I guess I'm a big shedder.
    Same here. My hair is really thick, so I see a lot of hair everywhere, but don't notice anything lacking on my head.
    Did you know that an anagram for "Conscious Uncoupling" is "Iconic Uncool Pus Guns"? - MohandasKGanja

^ yeah i really think stress gets to me and my health. I'm trying to pear down my life and getting rid of the toxic ppl in my life who make me sick/feel bad about myself. Hard when thats everyone i kno

Bronze Member

The SAME thing is happening to me! I have lost what seems half my hair in the span of 2 months. I have no unusual stress, medical condition, new medications, etc. My blood and thyroid check out fine, as well.

My GP bascially told me to "deal with it, and work on my inner beauty instead". After I beat him mercilessly, I made an appointment with a derm (for end of the month); in the interim I am trying ALL of the following (I never realized how truly vain I am until this hair loss fiasco):

*Better diet to include LESS CANDY and more protien complex carbs, good fats, fruits, etc.
    *BIOTIN supplement (can get over-the-counter)
    *Minoxydil (I was taking 2% but derm recommended 5% as I am not pregnant).

I guess what bugs me most of all is why my hair is falling out; perhaps I could be more accepting if there was a tangible reason gfor it. Anyhoo, although I am thankful for my overall health, this really bums me out.

*Better diet to include LESS CANDY and more protien complex carbs, good fats, fruits, etc.
    *BIOTIN supplement (can get over-the-counter)
    im doing this too and yes you don't realize how tramatic it is to not have hair and how much you depend on it for your looks till you lose it...I could never pull off short hair or baldness; i am one of the ppl who really needs their hair for attractiveness and its been hard let me tell u, but i kno the biotin works and so does a healthy diet and excercise and less booze and enough sleep! I kno those things work b/c i was doing them for a while, but then i got lax and my problems started to happen again, but i've started back up again and a plus side to all the leafy green veggies i've been eating is the multiple trips to the bathroom i've taken which = more excercise and lost weight

keep me posted on your progress edie jay!

-im gonna start massaging my scalp everyday too if i can remember b/c i think that'll help the bloodflow and such!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information