Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Help for bad skin

  1. #1
    Elite Member Brah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    8,293

    Default Help for bad skin

    I wanted to post this in the skincare thread, but I can't seem to find it.

    A little over a month ago, before my period, I got a decently bad breakout on my back. It's just gotten worse over the past month, I even have a random pimple smack dab in the middle of my upper arm. It's just spreading, and I don't understand it. I made an appointment with my dermatologist, but the appointment isn't until the end of the month.

    Has anyone had this problem?? Ive never had this before, usually a random pimple could be taken care of with astringent, but not even that is working (though I'm using a witch hazel toner, maybe its not strong enough?).

    It's so embarrassing!! And keeps spreading!! Does anyone have any tips?? I'm desperate.

  2. #2
    Elite Member *Kat*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    2,311

    Default

    Could it be bacterial or fungal folliculitis? Google the symptoms of those and see if it matches yours. Nizoral shampoo (ketoconazole 2%) is an OTC option you could try.

  3. #3
    Elite Member Brah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    8,293

    Default

    ^I googled it and god... I hope that's not what I have!! I will mention it to my dermatologist but the symptoms fit (I always have bumps on my t zone, etc). What I read said that that is stubborn and won't disappear easily... God I hope that's not it!

  4. #4
    Elite Member pinkbunnyslippers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    3,950 miles from NYC
    Posts
    6,591

    Default

    Maybe it's hormonal? You know our bodies change over time. The same thing is happening to a friend. She just had the same symptoms. She's in her mid 40's. She also talked about going to the dermatologist, but I suggested she should wait. But of course it will make her feel better, and it's good to know exactly what it is.
    I'm wondering if y'all are the same person. Wouldn't it be awesome if two people on here were good friends in real life, and never knew it on here?
    "Fashion is an art, but individuality is the key"

  5. #5
    Elite Member *Kat*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    2,311

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brah View Post
    ^I googled it and god... I hope that's not what I have!! I will mention it to my dermatologist but the symptoms fit (I always have bumps on my t zone, etc). What I read said that that is stubborn and won't disappear easily... God I hope that's not it!
    Yeah I've read that too I found out about it when I had something similar, but only on my cheeks and chin. I still don't know what it was and it went away when I got on Tazorac. I think your derm will probably take cultures to test for folliculitis, that's very helpful for ruling it out.

  6. #6
    Elite Member dolem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    4,139

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brah View Post
    I wanted to post this in the skincare thread, but I can't seem to find it.

    A little over a month ago, before my period, I got a decently bad breakout on my back. It's just gotten worse over the past month, I even have a random pimple smack dab in the middle of my upper arm. It's just spreading, and I don't understand it. I made an appointment with my dermatologist, but the appointment isn't until the end of the month.

    Has anyone had this problem?? Ive never had this before, usually a random pimple could be taken care of with astringent, but not even that is working (though I'm using a witch hazel toner, maybe its not strong enough?).

    It's so embarrassing!! And keeps spreading!! Does anyone have any tips?? I'm desperate.
    Are we the same person!? The skin on my face as totally improved in the past year (lucky me, adult acne, though not terrible is annoying bc I feel like it should be gone by now). But, what I lost on my face seems to have cropped up on my back. I was blaming it on wearing sports more often, as it's mostly shown up where the straps are. Witch Hazel toner doesn't seem to be working all that well. I've never had back acne before.

  7. #7
    Elite Member choozen1ne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    MICHIGAN
    Posts
    4,308

    Default

    Have you switched hair products lately? and do you have long hair? I get acne on my upper back and arms because of the stuff I use in my hair
    If you can get it try Differin Gel, it just was made OTC in the US and it supposed to work wonders, I am currently on EpiDou from my Dr and it has helped a lot and try the body wash with benzo peroxide in it too
    I don't think witch hazel does much , it's the skin on your back use something stronger

  8. #8
    Elite Member Brah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    8,293

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pinkbunnyslippers View Post
    Maybe it's hormonal? You know our bodies change over time. The same thing is happening to a friend. She just had the same symptoms. She's in her mid 40's. She also talked about going to the dermatologist, but I suggested she should wait. But of course it will make her feel better, and it's good to know exactly what it is.
    I'm wondering if y'all are the same person. Wouldn't it be awesome if two people on here were good friends in real life, and never knew it on here?
    It would be weird! But I'm not near my 40s yet, even though I'm still too old for this skin shit. My skin used to be so clear and nice, this last year I've seen it go to shit.

    Quote Originally Posted by *Kat* View Post
    Yeah I've read that too I found out about it when I had something similar, but only on my cheeks and chin. I still don't know what it was and it went away when I got on Tazorac. I think your derm will probably take cultures to test for folliculitis, that's very helpful for ruling it out.
    I'll ask my dermatologist about that! I'm happy to hear its cleared up! I have hope then. I'm worried that I do have that though, because I always, always have little dots on my t zone. I thought I just had permanent little pimples but maybe it's been that?

    Quote Originally Posted by dolem View Post
    Are we the same person!? The skin on my face as totally improved in the past year (lucky me, adult acne, though not terrible is annoying bc I feel like it should be gone by now). But, what I lost on my face seems to have cropped up on my back. I was blaming it on wearing sports more often, as it's mostly shown up where the straps are. Witch Hazel toner doesn't seem to be working all that well. I've never had back acne before.
    Ive noticed I get it where my bra strap is, and where my sports bra sits. But its also on my shoulders and upper arms now, and ive been sure to shower daily, exfoliate, and never wear something more than once... And yet it's getting worse.

    I would get little pimples on my back but only during the summer, and a strong astringent tool care of it. At least bacne can be hidden :/

    Quote Originally Posted by choozen1ne View Post
    Have you switched hair products lately? and do you have long hair? I get acne on my upper back and arms because of the stuff I use in my hair
    If you can get it try Differin Gel, it just was made OTC in the US and it supposed to work wonders, I am currently on EpiDou from my Dr and it has helped a lot and try the body wash with benzo peroxide in it too
    I don't think witch hazel does much , it's the skin on your back use something stronger
    I do have long hair but ive been using the same products I have all summer. But thanks for the product tip! Ill look into that

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Combination Skin
    By AquariusMoon in forum Beauty and Skincare
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: April 17th, 2013, 10:54 AM
  2. Eat Cocoa for Better Skin!
    By SVZ in forum Beauty and Skincare
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: July 28th, 2010, 09:58 PM
  3. Replies: 16
    Last Post: July 3rd, 2006, 10:19 AM
  4. Appropriate Skin Care Products for African-American Skin
    By NoDayButToday in forum Beauty and Skincare
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: March 16th, 2006, 01:39 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •