Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dental bonding

Default Dental bonding

So I am thinking of getting some minor bonding done on my top teeth. Problem you ask, the first ones beside each of my front teeth are set back a bit, and I would like to have them more aligned. All my other teeth are in a row except those darn canines.

Veneers seem to fake to me, and bonding seems to be like a less harsh solution, and I would like it to look somewhat natural.

Anyone ever had it done ????

Hit By Ban Bus!

Default Re: Dental Bonding

I've never had it done, but I plan to very soon. My braces caused little spaces to appear at the gumline between some of my teeth after they straightened out. I'm getting bonding to fill in those spaces. I'm going to go to a cosmetic dentist, even though they're usually a bit pricier, because I don't want my teeth to look like they were shaped with Playdoh. Most dentists are capable of doing a good job, depending on the extent of the bonding. Be careful with asking for too much done, or you WILL look like you have Playdoh teeth. Btw, I think veneers can look very natural and nice, especially if you're trying to get your teeth into better alignment. Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Elite Member

When I was 16 I had my two front teeth bonded to fill in a large gap. My parents never paid for braces because my teeth were straight otherwise, I just had this big gap. It was big enough to stick my tongue in.

Well, the gap is filled, but the teeth look a lot fatter than my other teeth, so I am still somewhat embarrasssd by my smile, even though it is way better than the gap. I am actually thinking about doing braces now. The problem is that the bonding discolors after a while and it doesn't whiten when you try to whiten your other teeth. So I got whitening trays and bleach, and now I have a slight mismatch between my two front teeth and the rest. I could get the bonding touched up, but then I still have the two fat teeth.

I want to see if they can remove the bonding, get down to my original tooth, and how long it would take to fill in the gap with braces. I *think* I could deal with anything under 18 months. They have ceramic tooth colored braces now so it helps with the appearance for adults with braces.

In your case, I would definitely look into bonding before veneers. Veneers would be a quick fix for me, but they are expensive ($1000/tooth I've heard) and I've heard they file down your original tooth AND the veneers may have to be replaced after 10 years.

Im wondering if bonding is the way to go for chipped/damaged teeth.. due to a medical issue when i was first born, i had antibiotics shoved into me that ruined the development of mine.

Right now they're jagged, crumbling, chipped, worn flat.. you name it. Is bonding usually done for that, or some other procedure? If so, is it purely cosmetic or (in my case, im guessing) would it be classified under structural..

We seem to have lots of lawyers in here.. where the fuck are the dentists!
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Lots of good opinions in here. I made a consultation appointment for next wednesday so I will see. He uses computer generated models you get a good idea of what it will look like before it is done.

I am fine with the idea of having to have them touched up every couple years. I would just really like to avoid the veneers for such a small thing. And braces are out. I just can't devote 18 months to fix a problems that could be fixed instantly for a slightly higher price.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    Im wondering if bonding is the way to go for chipped/damaged teeth.. due to a medical issue when i was first born, i had antibiotics shoved into me that ruined the development of mine.

Right now they're jagged, crumbling, chipped, worn flat.. you name it. Is bonding usually done for that, or some other procedure? If so, is it purely cosmetic or (in my case, im guessing) would it be classified under structural..

We seem to have lots of lawyers in here.. where the fuck are the dentists!
    Bonding is usually done for localized areas or an individual tooth here or there. It CAN be done throughout the whole mouth, but honestly, it starts to look like patchwork if it's done everywhere. If you happen to smoke or drink alot of coffee/tea, things like bonding or any composite material starts to look bad because of the staining around the margins. And like someone said earlier, if you want to whiten your teeth, you'll most likely have to replace the bonding to match the new shade.

Grimm, you sound like you have generalized issues and are probably a candidate for a full mouth reconstruction with either crowns or veneers. Doesn't that sound like fun? If you have tetracycline staining, that usually doesn't respond well to bleaching either. I'm not a dentist but I'm a non-practicing dental hygienist.

I have veneers. I got them in 1988 when they were still fairly new. My dentist told me each year the bonding materials get better and better. I got them because I had a space, I got 4 on the top teeth. I can't tell you what it did for my smile and self esteem when it came to being photographed.

They don't look fake because they were the exact color of my teeth. They aren't thick. Now remember, I got them in 1988, so today's materials must be far superior.

I'd go for the veneer because bonding alone can chip after a while. They say the veneers are supposed to last 15 years, so, so far so good for me.

Back then they were 450 per tooth. They must be over 1000 dollars by now. I suffered through taking in a nymphomaniac roommate in order to save up the money.

I have four veneers on my front teeth. One tooth was chipped, one was discoloured from an unfortunate meeting with a sink, and two overlapped slightly. Mine were done about 5 years ago. Expensive, but I got the highest quality ones available at the time. I constantly get complimented on my smile, so I guess it was worth it. I don't know if I'd do it again, though. I'm hoping mine last as long as possible, so I don't have to replace them.

I thought about getting a couple of veneers but the thought of having my teeth ground down scars the crap out of me !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by tictac View Post
    Bonding is usually done for localized areas or an individual tooth here or there. It CAN be done throughout the whole mouth, but honestly, it starts to look like patchwork if it's done everywhere. If you happen to smoke or drink alot of coffee/tea, things like bonding or any composite material starts to look bad because of the staining around the margins. And like someone said earlier, if you want to whiten your teeth, you'll most likely have to replace the bonding to match the new shade.

Grimm, you sound like you have generalized issues and are probably a candidate for a full mouth reconstruction with either crowns or veneers. Doesn't that sound like fun? If you have tetracycline staining, that usually doesn't respond well to bleaching either. I'm not a dentist but I'm a non-practicing dental hygienist.
    Truthfully, my mouth is a mess. My upper teeth are reasonably straight thanks to years of braces, but the bottom ones at the front need to be straightened out again.. hard to do when your teeth are crumbling.

My plan covers 100% of structural (i believe) so im wondering if in my case veneers, bonding or crowns would be classified as such so i dont have to fucking pay for it

As for the tetracycline.. whatever they shoved into me didnt stain my teeth, they just made them incredibly brittle weak and lame. They're also quite painful if i dont use Sensodyne toothpaste or whatever..

If i have to get them ground down, i know i'll be shrieking. Can they knock me out for that or do i have to suffer through it awake?
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Ooooooooo, Grimmy! Go for it! Be sure to take before and afters for us?

My teeth were once nearly perfect but they've shifted some and slightly chipped. Eventually I might do some work.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post

If i have to get them ground down, i know i'll be shrieking. Can they knock me out for that or do i have to suffer through it awake?
    I think it depends on your dentist, some are more generous with the drugs than others

I'm going to request to be as fucked up or as unconscious as possible.

i got a good dentist recommended to me (works on saturdays too) and my friend says she's always trying to push nitrous on her patients, and expresses surprise when people don't want it.

"But it's FUN!" she says

I love nitrous.

Who told you the teeth get ground down? Mine certainly didn't. They do need to make them a bit shorter, otherwise you'll have Bugs Bunny teeth, but you still have the entire tooth in tact, they just take off a minimal amount with a tiny sander.

I hate pain and had no pain. Omg, I remember so clearly looking in the mirror when they were done. All I did was practice smiling and stare. It's still the best thing I've ever done.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information