Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Scientists have discovered what causes Resting Bitch Face

Default Scientists have discovered what causes Resting Bitch Face

Scientists have discovered what causes Resting Bitch Face

By Caitlin Gibson February 2 at 10:00 AM

Actress Anna Kendrick, a self-described lifelong RBF sufferer. (Jason Merritt/Getty Images)

Queen Elizabeth has it. So does fashion designer Victoria Beckham. And actress Kristen Stewart — poor thing, she’s practically the poster girl.
    Among the slew of pop culture icons said to be afflicted with so-called Resting Bitch Face (alternatively known as Bitchy Resting Face), the vast majority are women, though Kanye West is among the male examples. All of them have been mocked by Internet commenters for having a certain unintentional expression when their faces are not in motion — a look best described as vaguely annoyed, maybe a little judgy, perhaps slightly bored.
    Since the RBF meme took over the Internet in 2013, fueled by a viral mock-PSA about “Bitchy Resting Face,” legions of people have identified the dreaded phenomenon in celebrity listicles, in their own social circles, even in the mirror.

Kristen Stewart of “Twilight” fame, often considered the poster girl for RBF.

So Jason Rogers and Abbe Macbeth, behavioral researchers with international research and innovation firm Noldus Information Technology, decided to investigate: Why are some faces seen as truly expressionless, but others are inexplicably off-putting? What, exactly, makes us register a seemingly neutral expression as RBF?

“We wanted this to be fun and kind of tongue-in-cheek, but also to have legitimate scientific data backing it up,” Macbeth said.

The researchers enlisted Noldus’s FaceReader, a sophisticated tool engineered to identify specific expressions based on a catalogue of more than 10,000 images of human faces. The software, which can examine faces through a live camera, a photograph or a video clip, maps 500 points on the human face, then analyzes the image and assigns an expression based on eight basic human emotions: happiness, sadness, anger, fear, surprise, disgust, contempt, and “neutral.”
    To establish a baseline, Rogers and Macbeth first had FaceReader assess a series of genuinely expressionless faces. Those expressions registered about 97 percent neutrality, Macbeth said; the remaining three percent included “little blips of emotion” — a touch of sadness here, a hint of surprise there, but nothing significant.

The FaceReader software analyzes Kanye, one of the few men commonly associated with RBF. (Courtesy Noldus Information Technology)

Then they plugged in photos of RBF all-stars Kanye West, Kristen Stewart and Queen Elizabeth. Suddenly, the level of emotion detected by the software doubled to six percent.
    One particular emotion was responsible for the jump: “The big change in percentage came from ‘contempt,’” Macbeth said.

And how exactly does a piece of software measure contempt in a face?

It’s in subtle signals, like “one side of the lip pulled back slightly, the eyes squinting a little,” Rogers explained.

Or: “It’s kind of a tightening around the eyes, and a little bit of raising of the corners of the lips — but not into a smile,” Macbeth suggested.
    The cues are understated, yet the machine detects and interprets them the same way our human brains do, she said. “Something in the neutral expression of the face is relaying contempt, both to the software and to us.”

Queen Elizabeth II, also considered a prime example of RBF (even this portrait bust of her, by the late British sculptor Oscar Nemon, looks a bit severe)

But there was one big difference, she added. FaceReader, being a piece of software and therefore immune to gender bias, proved to be the great equalizer: It detected RBF in male and female faces in equal measure. Which means that the idea of RBF as a predominantly female phenomenon has little to do with facial physiology and more to do with social norms.

Consider actress Anna Kendrick, who has publicly bemoaned the effect of RBF on her life.

“When she was younger, directors would say, ‘Why don’t you smile more, you need to smile more, you don’t seem like you’re very happy,’” Macbeth said. “That’s something that’s expected from women far more than it’s expected from men, and there’s a lot of anecdotal articles and scientific literature on that. So RBF isn’t necessarily something that occurs more in women, but we’re more attuned to notice it in women because women have more pressure on them to be happy and smiley and to get along with others.”

Worried that you might have RBF? Now you can find out for sure. After publishing their results in October, Rogers and Macbeth invited members of the public to submit their own faces for analysis. Guys and gals alike are welcome to email photos of their most “neutral” facial expressions to jason@noldus.com, and FaceReader will tell you if you’re actually expressionless — or if you and the Queen have RBF in common.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...ng-bitch-face/

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

I think the Queen looks more like she's smelled a fart, permanently. Or that's what she considers us commoners, farts.
    o0Amber0o likes this.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

My mom & I both had resting bitch face before it had a name! Both of us have mouths that slightly turn down at the corners when our faces are "neutral". I can't tell you how many times ppl ask me what's wrong when really there's nothing wrong!
    louiswinthorpe111 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by holly View Post
    My mom & I both had resting bitch face before it had a name! Both of us have mouths that slightly turn down at the corners when our faces are "neutral". I can't tell you how many times ppl ask me what's wrong when really there's nothing wrong!
    Same here, except mine is exacerbated with a scar. I hate when people ask me what is wrong. I always respond with "would you prefer I walk around with a fake shit eating grin on my face?"

I totally have resting bitch face.
    RELIGION: Treat it like it's your genitalia. Don't show it off in public, and don't shove it down your children's throats.

I do too.

I thought this article would tell me why, like maybe highly intelligent people have it or at least, it's weak face muscles from bad genes. Turns out, I'm just full of contempt (that feels uncomfortably kind of true).
    if you're so incensed that you can't fly your penis in public take it up with your state, arrange a nude protest, go and be the rosa parks of cocks or something - witchcurlgirl

I work with a lovely young woman who has RBF. When she's not smiling, she's a stunt double for Grumpy Cat.
    holly likes this.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

How do I acquire resting bitch face? I apparently have resting sweetheart face and I want it to stop.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

I have always had resting bitch face. Ever since grumpy cat became a thing, that's been my nickname.

I too need a class in resting bitch face!!!

My face is all bitch all the time. I think you just have to be well a bitch.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

Quote Originally Posted by holly View Post
    OMG, me too! I've been asked that my whole life. When I used to sing in a church choir, that was televised locally, one of the choir directors emailed me and said that I need to put on my "game" face for the cameras as I looked "upset". I said "I have resting bitch face. I'm not at church to play a game or put on a show, but whatever...." I stopped going there after that. But yeah, getting asked "What's wrong?" all the time is annoying.
    ikmccall likes this.
    Cats are really just land based sharks in fur coats. - Kittylady

Quote Originally Posted by greysfang View Post
    How do I acquire resting bitch face? I apparently have resting sweetheart face and I want it to stop.
    In other words, different than your personality.
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

Correct. It makes people think I'm approachable and I hate it.
    ikmccall, SHELLEE and palta like this.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

you just cracked me and krissy up.
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information