Thread: Coles, Woolworths pledge to remove products containing plastic microbeads

Elite Member

Default Coles, Woolworths pledge to remove products containing plastic microbeads

Australian Supermarkets Coles, Woolworths pledge to remove products containing plastic microbeads

Coles, Woolworths pledge to remove products containing plastic microbeads

ABC News
    Sarah Whyte, Amy Sherden 1 hour ago

ABC News Various cosmetic cleansers and products containing microbeads, microplastics, polyethylene.

Supermarket giants Woolworths and Coles have pledged to remove products containing tiny plastic particles called microbeads in Australia as global momentum grows to eliminate them.

Microbeads or microplastics can be found in common scrubs, face washes, soaps and toothpastes.

Billions of the tiny particles are being washed into waterways with little knowledge of product users, and causing havoc in Australia's water systems.

Scientists estimate there are about 300,000 microbeads in an average bottle of face scrub, usually labelled as polyethylene in the product ingredients or HDPE (high-density polyethylene), or even PEHD.

Sometimes they're added as an abrasive for deep cleaning, but often serve no purpose other than for decoration.

Environmental activist Jon Dee is leading a campaign to ban the production of microbeads in Australia.

"Most people you talk to have no idea that the personal care products they are using contain plastic microbeads," he said.

"People think they contain exfoliants like apricot kernels and walnut shells and other natural ingredients but the reality is that these products contain microbeads that are so small that they get through the waste water treatment plants and end up in our waterways and harbors."

Environment Minister Greg Hunt told 7.30 the Government was committed to voluntarily phasing out microbeads.

"I have to confess, it's one of those issues which emerged later than it should have," Mr Hunt said.

"We want to work with industry to do this. Already Coles and Woolworths have responded and committed to banning microbeads from their shelves by the end of 2017.

"But we want to see a full national phase out."

But environmentalists say that is not good enough, arguing the Government should mirror the US Government's recent commitment to legislate a formal ban of microbead production by 2018.

"We are not leading the world with ending microbeads," Mr Dee said. "But we are starting on the right path."

"We have seven companies who have publicly pledged to phase out microbeads."

Manufacturers such as Unilever, Johnson & Johnson and The Body Shop have been working to find alternative materials to use in their products.

Scientists find microbeads in Sydney fish

Professor Emma Johnston from the University of New South Wales has found 'big' microplastics in fish from Sydney Harbour.

Researchers from UNSW have previously found microplastics in sediment samples from 27 different sites around Sydney Harbour.

At one site, the concentration of microplastics was greater than that found outside a former plastics factory in Sweden.

"The problem with microplastics is that once they are in the waterway and in the sediments, we can't get them out," Professor Johnston said.

"There is no way of filtering all the sediments of every harbor in Australia to remove those plastics."

Professor Johnston says microbeads had been found from the Arctic to the deep sea in hundreds of organisms.

"I think it's time that we removed them from all non-essential products," she said.

"The full extent of their toxicity is still unknown."

*My gawd this is horrifying.. the human race is such a menace to the world

Woolworth's is still around???

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    Woolworth's is still around???
    It's huge in Australia, but I don't think they exist anymore here in Canada. I remember the old "Woolworth's building" in my town, which became a roller rink and then a fabric store, and always had kind of a weird smell...
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

I loved Woolworths. We used to go to them all the time when I was a kid. Don't think there are anymore in the Baltimore area anymore. They had a lunch counter!

When I first moved to Miami Beach, there was one near Lincoln Road. Probably not there anymore.

"Woolies" and Coles are the two major supermarket chains who for decades have basically had a monopoly here but are starting to lose market share to Aldi and independents. I hate them both and won't shop at either unless I absolutely can't find a product elsewhere.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

A*O

The Aussie Woolworths is a grocery supermarket, formerly known as Safeway. The UK/US Woolworths as cheap kinda department store is no more as far as I know.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    The Aussie Woolworths is a grocery supermarket, formerly known as Safeway.
    Only in Victoria I think, or at least not in NSW. We always had Woolies supermarkets.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

good for them.
    "I would have gladly held my nose and did the right thing all damn day long to keep Trump out of the fucking White House and it wouldn't have butt hurt me at all."...gas_chick

Thanks for the explanation. In the US, at least when I was young, Woolworths was a five-and-dime store. Like a micro Wal-mart, but no groceries. Similar stores were Kresge's and GC Murphy. I was just looking up Kresge's and had no idea that they became Kmart in 1977.

I just looked it up and the US Woolworth has no historical relationship with the Australian version. And they basically became Foot Locker (shoe store) in 1999.

Thread Information