Elite Member

Default Haircuts That Take Off 10 Years

Haircuts That Take Off 10 Years

Haircuts That Take Off 10 Years

Redbook
    17 hrs ago

© Provided by Redbook

The Power of Good Cut

There's no denying it: Your hair and face change as you get older. And so should your cut, because falling into a hair rut (quick test: have you changed your style in the past five years?) will age you faster than you can say, "I'll take a Dorothy Hamill."

Finding the right cut and color can give a huge boost to your overall appearance, says New York City stylist Mark Garrison, who did the amazing makeovers shown here.

Nervous about radical change? Think smaller, says Garrison: "You can stick with your favorite style, but update it in little ways." The trick is to work with a stylist who focuses on three key factors: your bone structure, hair texture, and preferred maintenance level (how much time you're willing to spend on daily styling). Cover those bases and you're on your way to "Wow!"

© Jennifer Livingston

BEFORE: Maryellen Hays, 60

"Maryellen's hairstyle was too severe," Garrison says. A long bob with bangs can be flattering, but her particular cut lacked shape and movement. She opted to cover her gray, but the dark, one-dimensional brown that she chose framed her face too starkly, as did her too-thick bangs. In her words: "I looked like a mushroom!"

© Jennifer Livingston

AFTER: Maryellen Hays, 60

Why This Cut Works
    "Softer bangs combined with length at the nape and fullness at the crown flatter her oval face and really bring out her cheekbones," Garrison says. "We also gave her warm, caramel-colored highlights around the face, being careful not to go too light, which can wash some women out."

What You Can Do
    Remember that flat-against-the-head rarely means pretty, unless you're 16. We all need a little lift around our faces — from layers, styling, or color — to get that extra zing.

© Jennifer Livingston

BEFORE: Malena Aleyanez, 49

Malena isn't too mature for long hair, "but over-processing had left her locks straw-dry and unmanageable," says Garrison. "And the color was way too light, making her look pale."

© Jennifer Livingston

AFTER: Malena Aleyanez, 49

Why This Cut Works
    Garrison snipped off the frazzled ends and gave Malena a sexy bob that brings out her gorgeous bone structure. As for color, "the beauty is in the contrast," says Garrison, whose colorist combined a light brown base with golden highlights in front.

What You Can Do
    Take a good look in the mirror. Does your hair color mimic your skin tone? If so, you may look washed out, especially in the winter. Choose a base color that's at least two shades darker than your skin tone, even if your hair is blond. If you crave a lighter look, go for highlights.

© Jennifer Livingston

BEFORE: Morgan Littlefield, 35

Morgan has naturally thick, wavy hair, "but she wasn't taking advantage of it," said Garrison. And by leaving it long and unshaped, she wasn't doing anything to show off her pretty, youthful features. Lastly, this natural blonde (who didn't previously color her hair) needed a little brightness.

© Jennifer Livingston

AFTER: Morgan Littlefield, 35

Why This Cut Works
    Face-framing layers retain the look of longer hair without the limpness. The side-swept bangs minimize Morgan's high forehead while playing up her baby blues. Streaks of buttery blond add extra oomph.

What You Can Do
    If you don't have a specific cut in mind, tell the stylist what you don't want and let her make suggestions. Just don't be pressured into trying anything that doesn't sound right.

© Plush Studios/Chris Gramly/Getty Images

Your Perfect Cut Starts Here

Every hair dilemma has a solution — all you have to do is figure out the results you want so you can determine the best course of action. Here's how to pick the style that's right for you.

© Provided by Redbook

Goal: Firm up the jawline.

You want at least nape-length layers that are shorter in back. Adding some swing this way helps minimize flaws in general, and longer pieces in front will give the illusion of angles where they're needed.

© Provided by Redbook

Goal: Emphasize good features.

Cutting layers that "point" toward the area by ending at the same level. If you have a great smile, for example, ask for chin-length pieces in front that will hit at lip level.

© Provided by Redbook

Goal: Hide forehead wrinkles.

Try eyebrow-skimming bangs. They'll cover lines and play up your eyes.

© Provided by Redbook

Goal: Sculpt cheekbones.

Create volume at the crown by asking for layers on top. Then, when styling, take a few strokes with a teasing comb (easy — we're not talking Marge Simpson) five inches from the hairline.

© Provided by Redbook

Goal: Downplay neck wrinkles.

Add a few wispy, longer strands in the back, even if the cut is short.

© Provided by Redbook

Goal: Brighten a dull complexion.

Highlights concentrated around the face "add dimension and give your skin glow," says Ronald Braso of New York's Frιdιric Fekkai Salon.

© Provided by Redbook

How to Get the Style You Want

Tip #1: Request a 15-minute consultation before they begin cutting. Patrick Melville, owner of New York City's Patrick Melville Salon, encourages clients to come in before the appointment and ask lots of questions.

Tip #2: Don't just ask for a trim and assume you and your stylist are on the same page. Instead, ask them to show you what it will look like before they cut and discuss how much should be taken off, and from where.

Tip #3: Avoid the 'dos of the day — and the stylists who give them. Instead, ask for a cut that's right for you, and not the trendy look of the day.

Tip #4: Don't leave room for interpretation by just asking for a bob. Instead, be more specific and say something like, "I'd like a choppy, nape-length bob with long layers framing my face." Learn enough "hair lingo" to make yourself clear.

© Provided by Redbook

The Beauty Tools You Need

• Pomade.
    It adds control and tames the frizzies. If your hair is long, use on the roots only.

• Wax.
    It gives intense control, which is especially important for short to medium-length styles.

• Shine enhancers.
    They often contain silicone, which helps all hair types look smoother and shinier.

• Flexible hair sprays.
    They set your style while allowing you to brush and restyle throughout the day.

and putting on some makeup & ditching outdated glasses, wearing more current clothing styles will take off 10 years as well!
    I hate articles like this. Do a fair comparison, with the same makeup, clothing, camera angles, etc. & then I might give credence to these claims.
    Novice, *DIVA!, Kittylady and 2 others like this.

Yes, updating your general look is a part of it but the hair thing is key. Cut off your princess locks and get an actual cut. I hate it when women think they can pull off the suuuper long hair that looked good when they were 15 or in their 20s. It just ages you and looks dated and like you're clinging to the look you had when you looked your best and most youthful. Jane Seymour is a perfect example of a woman who refuses to change up her look and update it. She'd look phenomenal with a more modern, shorter cut. Jeri Hall finally chopped hers off too and looked younger and more modern for it.
    Last edited by sputnik; November 28th, 2015 at 12:23 PM.
    BelledeJour, Ravenna, A*O and 5 others like this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Goldie Hawn too,horrible hair..
    "Effie is all kinds of awesome." - Some internet moderator

Christie Brinkley is another offender. Gwyneth Paltrow really bugs me too. Why stick with the same boring crap 'style' year after year after year when you can afford a top stylist?

Most are improvements, but this style is terrible. Frump city. She had good hair, they could have done something much better.
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

^^^
    oh, I agree. I don't think they did a particularly good job on any of these, though most are still improvements. But that's on redbook and their shitty stylists. I mean, they're also touting Kate Middleton's boring hot comb princess curls as a style to emulate...
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

A*O

Women desperately cling to the misguided idea that long hair = youth. After a certain age the opposite applies. My hairdresser has a few clients who've had the same hair for years and won't let him take even half an inch off without a major drama. He also reckons that a lot of women are simply too timid to consider an updated hairstyle and prefer to stick with boring and predictable. Mind you, he's a fab cutter and I trust his opinion and skill 100%. I recently had a fairly major overhaul because I was bored with my old style and it wasn't in great condition so I let him loose and he's done a great job. It's a slightly longer Judi Dench messy crop. No pouting selfies, sorry.
    faithanne, sputnik, Novice and 2 others like this.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

I do play with my hair all the time.I get bored easily.But the rule *the older the shorter and lighter in color*is a wise one.I never thought i ll go white blonde in my life,i was always red of many different shades.Red is harsh on mature faces though.And of course short ..There are so many cuts that suit any face..it really is pathetic women around 60 wearing same hair and make up as when our kids were in daycare decades ago!
    A*O, sputnik and Novice like this.
    "Effie is all kinds of awesome." - Some internet moderator

10 years off your life or off your age?

A*O

The way some women panic about getting a decent haircut you'd think it was a a death sentence.
    effie2 likes this.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

I don't think just because you're over 40 or whatever the age is, you should not have long hair. For years since hitting a certain age I wore shoulder length hair. I liked it alright. But I noticed that practically every woman I knew was doing the same thing. Screw it. I let mine go. It's down by my bra strap now. It makes it easier to put up in a bun or french roll. I can put it in a ponytail without little whispies flying in my face while driving with the windows down. I love it. I have had short hair styles before and never liked them. I don't have a face suited for it.
    Novice, holly, Nevan and 5 others like this.

"A massive penis means never having to say you're sorry". Mo

Yes, I think it's on a case by case basis. Some people can carry long-er hair and still look youthful, some can't. It depends on your face, your hair, your overall look and style.

I also think that for some women it ties into their husband's taste too. Some men are just dead against short hair and their wives feel compelled to leave it long for them. People can get weird over hair.
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

^^^
    agree. some women definitely still pull it off no matter their age. but so many don't and still won't cut it. And yeah men can be weird about it. My aunt wore hers super long and wore it with combs on the side in quite a dated style. She has beautiful hair, thick and wavy. Coloured it dark. Her hair was thick and healthy enough that she could pull it off long but she needed to update her style and get a good cut with shape and stop it with the tortoiseshell combs on each side. Then at age 76 she had to have brain surgery (nothing too serious luckily) and had to shave a whole piece so she just shaved her whole head. It grew back a beautiful silver, and still thick and with a wave and everyone, including her very old fashioned husband, loved it. Now she wears it in a very modern judi dench style pixie that is the last cut she ever would have chosen for herself because she's usually so classic and hates change.
    I think there's that stereotype that short hair is unfeminine, especially on older women. And that once you're a certain age and cut your hair it's like you're announcing to the world you're a sexless matron.

I went to beauty school in the early 90's. In order to graduate, we had to do like 200 shampoo sets on the little old ladies. Sometimes they liked a little tint. Sometimes brown or blue. Even one who loved purple. I was always like, wth? All these old ladies look the same. Helmet heads. They only shampooed once a week. Their heads smelled. I just didn't get it. I know it was the style like in the 40's and 50's. These broads never gave it up.

sputnik, holly and I'mNotBitter like this.

"A massive penis means never having to say you're sorry". Mo

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread Information