Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Temporary freckle tattoos make for a surprisingly controversial beauty trend

Default Temporary freckle tattoos make for a surprisingly controversial beauty trend

Temporary freckle tattoos make for a surprisingly controversial beauty trend

Temporary face tattoos are turning freckles into a fashion statement – and some online aren't happy about it.

By Lauren O'Neil, CBC News
    Posted: Nov 18, 2015 2:43 PM ET Last Updated: Nov 18, 2015 3:12 PM ET

A Los Angeles-based called is trying to mass-produce what it calls "first semipermanent freckle cosmetic" – a product that's proving rather controversial, for a make-up kit. (Kickstarter/Freck Yourself)

A new beauty product designed to sprinkle semi-permanent freckles across anyone's face has the internet buzzing this week at levels not seen since the dawn of the man bun.
    Called "Freck Yourself," the cosmetic kit is essentially a set of stencils accompanied by a skin-pigmenting formula.
    Users place a stencil where they want freckles to appear, roll the formula over it and voilą: the look of sun-kissed skin for two days (or up to six weeks with everyday use, according to the product's website.)
    One "Freck Kit" comes with 72 self-adhesive stencils and "a rollerball of formula that is similar in formulation to sunless tanner," according to the company's website. (Freck Yourself/Kickstarter)

While the product is not even officially on the market yet, a Kickstarter campaign for the Los Angeles-based company is inspiring news headlines all over the globe right now as people simultaneously swoon over and scoff at the idea.
    Fair-faced freckle-seekers seem stoked on the company's promise of "realistic, semi-permanent freckles" that "don't smudge and last for days," and select L.A.-area women who've tested the product early have been raving about it on Twitter, Instagram, and in testimonials.
    Women who were born with freckles, on the other hand... not so much.
    Sure, some are happy to see their natural-born complexions being held up in a positive light, but most of the product's critics online seem annoyed by the fact that freckles have been deemed "trendy" by the beauty gods.
    "Growing up, the kids in my school that had freckles used to get teased endlessly," wrote Sydney Gore for Nylon. "If only those freckled kids knew that their condition would become the latest 'fashion' trend now... They would probably still be livid."
    Yup.
    The Kickstarter campaign is also facing criticism for failing to offer products for darker skin tones, and for playing into the glorification of "fake" beauty.
    Freck Yourself still needs to raise more than $200,000 in order to meet its Kickstarter goal and fund round one of its mass-produced "Freck Kits."
    Nearly 250 people have donated to recieve a kit of their own, but with just 21 days until the campaign ends, this trend could die before it even really takes off.
    Those who really want to live the life of a bespeckled beauty can still get permanent freckle tattoos, of course, which have been around for years.
    Temporary freckle tattoos make for a surprisingly controversial beauty trend - Trending - CBC News
    As Canadian as possible under the circumstances

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What's traitors, precious?" -- President Gollum

You can't understand a ginger's oppression just by wearing some fake tattoos for a day.
    panic, Tati, Beeyotch and 2 others like this.

OrangeSlice, dolem, Fran2 and 4 others like this.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm totally in style without spending a penny.....

I was in high school and a girl said to me 'you have like, these spots on your face'....... 'yeah asshole, they re called freckles'
    msdeb likes this.
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Yeah, I tan. Just in little wee patches.

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

Quote Originally Posted by twitchy2.0 View Post
    Story of my summer. Every damn summer.
    louiswinthorpe111 likes this.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

That is seriously stupid but I guess that means I'm finally fashion forward.
    Alicia Silverstone: "I think that the film Clueless was very deep. I think it was deep in the way that it was very light. I think lightness has to come from a very deep place if it's true lightness."

Quote Originally Posted by Kittylady View Post
    Story of my summer. Every damn summer.
    Same here. Even in my lifeguard days, I never could manage to tan. I was either burned and peeling or pasty white.

I don't have a problem with people having fake freckles. My whole life, though, I've tried to find something that covers them up and nothing works.
    Kittylady likes this.

I like freckles. I have no desire to get fake ones, but I definitely think real ones can enhance a person's beauty.

I believe this is on trend because freckles also allude to youth.
    holly likes this.

I don't understand the eyebrow situation up there.
    I'mNotBitter and holly like this.
    if you're so incensed that you can't fly your penis in public take it up with your state, arrange a nude protest, go and be the rosa parks of cocks or something - witchcurlgirl

TCA chemical peel will remove them and consistent sunscreen use thereafter keeps the complexion clear. I'm a former freckle face and happy about it. Don't mind them on others though!
    Why do people say, "Grow some balls?" Balls are weak and sensitive. If you really want to get tough, grow a vagina. Those things take a pounding! ~ Betty White

Elite Member

i absolutely LOVE freckles (and red hair).

But just couldn't go the faux route with the freckles and will just admire them from afar on others (and try not to appear too creepy whilst doing it.. haha.. yikes!)

This is odd for sure, but then I definitely remember envying my girlfriends' freckles when we were kids. Of course they hated them, ungrateful betches.
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

I am grateful for my freckles because I have a few but not enough to make me look blotchy, as some other redheads can. I am also grateful that I don't have a dark freckle on the bridge of my nose like my mother does. She has had years of people saying "You have a smudge" and trying to wipe it off.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information