• 1 Post By Geest
  • 2 Post By *Wookie-Chick*

Thread: 11 Beautiful Women Who Are Redefining Beauty

Elite Member

Default 11 Beautiful Women Who Are Redefining Beauty

11 Beautiful Women Who Are Redefining Beauty

11 Beautiful Women Changing Beauty and Fashion Industry 2015
    11 Women Who Are Redefining Beauty

What could be more beautiful than an ever-expanding definition of what beauty really is?
    Actually, screw the idea of a definition—these amazing (and amazingly gorgeous) women are proving that we don't need one at all.

© Provided by Marie Claire

Lea T

The transgender model was discovered by Givenchy senior designer Riccardo Tisci and became the face of Givenchy in late 2010.
    After that, she appeared in many magazine editorials and strutted her stuff on runways.
    In 2014, she also became the face of Redken, making her the first openly transgender model to front a global cosmetics brand. "I love working with Redken because they appreciate all kinds of beauty," she said.
    "They believe in the individuality of the person, and I think that's really important."

Denise Bidot

The Latina was the first plus-size model to walk the runways of NYFW in 2014.
    She has also appeared in campaigns for Target, Forever 21, Macy's, and Nordstrom, and is now a spokesperson (along with model Marina Bulatkina) for "CURVES," a campaign by photographer Victoria Janahshvili to start a conversation (by releasing an art photography book) about acceptance and body positivity.
    "It's all about being comfortable in your own skin," she told Variety Latino. "There is no wrong way to be a woman."

Rain Dove

The androgynous lesbian model is not apologetic when it comes to her look, which allows her to model both menswear and womenswear, and believes her career is a type of activism.
    "I think it's a different kind of activism.
    Like, women shouldn't have to step into men's roles to be empowered. They should be able to step into themselves," she said.
    "So that's what I try to bring, that we shouldn't be thinking of it as menswear or womenswear it should be clothing for people.
    And that is geared towards anatomical values but isn't exclusive."

Winnie Harlow

Winnie Harlow, AKA Chantelle Brown-Young, is a 19-year-old model with vitiligo, which is a chronic skin disease that causes loss of skin color in blotches.
    After being bullied and teased for most of her life, she posted a YouTube video in 2011 where she spoke candidly about the disease—leading to a stint on America's Next Top Model.

Now, she just landed a new spring campaign with Diesel and is walking on runways around the world.
    "The only person that can make you feel that you aren't beautiful is you," she told Today.
    "You can't let someone else lower your self-esteem because that's what it is—self-esteem, you need to first love yourself before you have anybody else love you.

Jillian Mercado

Mercado has muscular dystrophy and uses a wheelchair, but that doesn't define the striking beauty, who can be seen in campaigns for Diesel and Nordstrom.
    "There was a time where I compared myself to people around me...Too soon I realized that I was living a lie," Mercado told i-D this year.
    "We must stop looking for guidance on how to be beautiful because we can be our own compasses."

Andreja Pejic

Born Andrej Pejic, the Australian model was, up until 2014, billed as an "androgynous" male model, who described himself as living "in between genders."
    Now, Pejic is a transgender woman—going by the name Andreja.
    The model broke new ground by appearing on multiple runways for the same designer, such as Jean-Paul Gaultier, where she walked in both the men's and women's shows.

Jamie Brewer

The 30-year-old actress, who is best known for her role on American Horror Story, recently achieved another milestone—she was the first model with Down syndrome to ever walk in NYFW.

Although not aiming to be a runway regular, the actress stated that her part in Carrie Hammer's "Role Models Not Runway Models" campaign was a step forward for the industry. "Young women...[see me] and say 'hey, if she can do it so can I,'" she told Today.
    "It's a true inspiration being a role model for any young women to [encourage them] in being who they are and showing who they are."

Elliott Sailors

The female model—a former beauty pageant contestant who once used to only model women's clothing—now models as male and female in order to have a longer career.
    "Men don't need to look as young as possible, so I have a lot of time," she told the New York Post.

But unlike Andreja or Lea, for her, it's not about expressing a gender that's inherently hers.
    "As far as my body, I never felt like I was born in the wrong body, that's just not something that I've dealt with," she told Elle.

Robyn Lawley

The Australian model, who is 6'2 and a size 12, has booked covers and been the first "plus-size" model to be shot for a number of magazines, but Lawley doesn't consider herself a plus-size model at all—"I just consider myself a model because I'm trying to help women in general accept their bodies," the 25-year-old model told Time.

The model also designs swimwear for all body types, and has called on designers to change their samples to larger sizes—hoping this would effect positive diversity in ads and on runways. "Designers need to not be so fearful of using a few models that are a different size on the catwalk," she told The Cut. "They expect you just to fit into these sample sizes.

They say, 'Yeah, you don't look like a size 12.' I've got a 42-inch hip, my friend; this is not going to fit. I can't get clothes for events.
    I'm very excluded from a lot of that, and it sucks. If designers had more sample sizes, they would make the magazines shoot size 8 on a size 8... I don't really understand why.
    I used to think sample sizes were made into a 0. But as a designer myself, I make the sample sizes whatever I want.
    Why are we so focused on having the girl fit the clothes rather than the clothes fit the girls?"

Carmen Dell'Orefice

There's no stopping this model, who—at the age of 83—appeared on the cover of Harper's Bazaar Thailand.
    Considered the "oldest working model", she first appeared on the cover of Vogue at the age of 15, and has been working ever since, with a short stint of retirement after her second marriage in 1958.
    Now, you can see her in campaigns for Target and Rolex, and in the pages of Vogue, W, and Harper's Bazaar.

I had to look at Robyn Lawley's pics on google - she is plus size!? WTF?
    dowcat likes this.

Elite Member

Default Missed the beautiful Jade Willoughby!

Jade Willoughby

Jade Willoughby

An Ontario native, Willoughby is one of the only First Nation (AKA Native Canadian) models out there.

The Canadian indigenous model and Whitesand First Nation member, who recently walked in her first NYFW, has found that being unable to easily identify has left some questions about her place in the industry.
    "The biggest thing that I found so far is the fact that there are so few First Nation models that the majority of the time, for clients, I'm not sure if they know how to handle where I'm coming from as a person.
    I don't fall under the category of being booked as a black model or any other ethnic models, so it's sort of—I'm in a category all my own and that can be tough at times," the model told Indian Country Today Media Network.
    BITTER and ConstanceSpry like this.

Nice to see! My jaded side thinks some are for the 'edge' factor...publicity alone. My open side is smiling and nodding!

Elite Member

Models of diversity

Models of diversity

9 hrs ago

Madeline Stuart, a model with Down syndrome, and Leslie Irby, a wheelchair model, appeared on the New York Fashion Week runway this year. However, this is not the first time that fashion industry has stood up for a positive change. There have been several ventures across the world that aim to promote diversity and inclusiveness in fashion. We take a look at some of those catwalk appearances around the world.

© Chance Yeh/Getty Images

Madeline Stuart, an Australian model with Down syndrome, presents a creation from Hendrik Vermeulen Couture at the New York Fashion Week on Sept. 13, 2015.

© REUTERS/Andrew Kelly

Shaholly Ayers, a congenital amputee, removes her prosthetic limb while presenting a creation from Alexandra Frida at the New York Fashion Week on Sept. 13, 2015.

© Andrew Kelly/Reuters

Rebekah Marine, a model with a bionic arm, presents a creation from Archana Korchhar at the New York Fashion Week on Sept. 13, 2015.

© REUTERS/Andrew Kelly

Paralytic model Leslie Irby presents a creation from Archana Kochhar at New York Fashion Week on Sept. 13, 2015.

© Vittorio Zunino Celotto/Getty Images

RJ Mitte, the "Breaking Bad" actor with mild cerebral palsy, walks the runway during a Vivienne Westwood fashion show at Milan Men's Fashion Week on June 21, 2015.

© YOSHIKAZU TSUNO/AFP/Getty Images

Japanese model Ami Sano, who was born without limbs, on the catwalk during rehearsals for the Tenbo brand by designer Takafumi Tsuruta, during the Tokyo Fashion Week on March 18, 2015.

© Daniel Ochoa de Olza/AP Photo

Chantelle Brown-Young, who has a chronic skin condition called vitiligo, presents a creation from the Desigual Spring/Summer collection during the Madrid Fashion Week on Feb. 6, 2015.

© REUTERS/Alessandro Bianchi

Bianca Balti (2nd L) joins other models — some very, very young — as they present creations from the Dolce & Gabbana Autumn/Winter 2015/16 collection during the Milan Fashion Week on March 1, 2015.

© Pascal Le Segretain/Getty Images

LGBT activist and Eurovision Song Contest winner Conchita Wurst (L) presents a creation by Jean Paul Gaultier (R) as part of his Haute Couture Fall/Winter 2014-2015 fashion show in Paris on July 9, 2014.

© REUTERS/Sergei Karpukhin

A model with dwarfism presents a creation during the "Fashion Without Borders" show at the Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week in Moscow, Russia, on March 31, 2014.

© REUTERS/Sergei Karpukhin

Models with physical disabilities present creations in wheelchairs during the "Fashion Without Borders" show at the Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week in Moscow, Russia, on March 31, 2014.

© WireImage/Getty Images; AFP/Getty Images

A pregnant model walks the runway during the Julien Fournie Spring/Summer 2013 Haute-Couture show in Paris on Jan. 22, 2013.

© RANCOIS GUILLOT/AFP/Getty Images

Transgender model Andrej Pejic, who until 2014 walked the runway as an androgynous male model, presents Yohji Yamamoto's creation during men's fashion week in Paris on Jan. 17, 2013. Now called Andreja, she underwent a gender reassignment surgery in 2015.

© REUTERS/Andrew Burton

Carmen Dell'Orefice (81), famous as the world's oldest working model, presents a creation from the Norisol Ferrari during the New York Fashion Week on Sept. 10, 2012.

© Europa Press/Getty Images; Pascal Le Segretain/amfAR15/WireImage

Plus-size models Candice Huffine (L) and Tara Lynn walk the ramp at different fashion shows in 2015. The models also became the first plus-sized women to be featured on the cover of Vogue magazine in 2011.

© AP

Yulexi Chevez is assisted as she sashays down the catwalk using her prosthetic leg during the Bionic Fashion Show in Quito, Ecuador, on Feb. 5, 2013.

© Frazer Harrison/Getty Images for Mercedes-Benz

Shaun Ross, the first professional albino model, walks the runway during the Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week in New York City on Sept. 11, 2014.

© Brian Ach/Getty Images

Jamie Brewer, an American TV actress with Down syndrome, walks the runway during the "Role Models Not Runway Models" for Carrie Hammer at the Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week Fall 2015 in New York City on Feb. 12.

© REUTERS/Tobias Schwarz

An elderly model presents a creation by Japanese fashion designer Yohji Yamamoto during his show "Cutting Age" in Berlin, Germany, on April 25, 2013.

© REUTERS/Kena Betancur

Plus-size models present creations from the Curvy Fall/Winter 2012 collection show during the New York Fashion Week on Feb.10, 2012.

Good to know that with my out of shape body and facial pores the size of moon craters I'm actually the new Beautiful!
    Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

***** celeb

Thread Information