Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Thinking about going grey

Default Thinking about going grey

I have/had brown hair, and some years ago it developed a dead white patch right in the front, just like a skunk. I didn't want to look like a skunk so I started to color it.

Now it has been colored for many years, which requires a lot of maintenance, and I'm not sure I want to keep it up anymore so I've left it alone for a couple of months to see what is its real color. Kind of a mangy brindle brown/grey/patchwork blah. In my 20's I had such beautiful hair..... I got used to seeing brown hair, I envision myself as a person with brown hair. I don't know what I look like without brown hair.

Anybody else stop coloring their hair after such a long time and gone to natural brindle - some grey, some brown, some white, and just let it go? My hair is long and I keep it put up.

I can't decide.

A*O

I sometimes think about doing the same thing but so far I only have a touch of grey at the temples. The rest is pure mouse so I have blonde/caramel/chocolate highlights to make it more interesting. That "skunk stripe" is genetic and I wish I had one! If you're considering a change of colour why not get a whole new style too? I'd consult a professional colourist and a good cutter who can suggest some ideas. A good colour/cut can take YEARS off. Very liberating.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Hit By Ban Bus!

I haven't colored my hair since 2/2014, and I only have a strand here and there of grey. I have more grey hairs on my legs and armpits, than I do on my head. I only color my hair, because I hate my natural color (light ash brown), so I go a medium chocolate brown.

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    the not get a whole new style too? I'd consult a professional colourist and a good cutter who can suggest some ideas. A good colour/cut can take YEARS off. Very liberating.
    I know you're right about this, and it IS what I should do.

I have a terrific aversion to salons, and cosmetic counters, and spas, and the beauty industry in general. They're so brutal, there is always some smug pretty 22 year old girl who rolls out of bed in the morning looking great, eyeing me up and down and I know she's thinking "yeah, you're really beyond the limits of anything we can help." Women in the beauty services are dreadful, so condescending. I haven't even cut my hair in 2 years, I just haven't been able to make myself face them.

I don't think I have the courage for a makeover. But I do think you're right.
    ConstanceSpry likes this.

i started turning gray in my early 20's I just box colored it forever. Then came chemo. When my hair grew back in, it was all gray!
    hub did not like it so i colored again. I do wish that it was gray again. I know it would be less work.
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

You would have to cut off all the colored hair to make it look okay, right? Otherwise, what a mess. Or get it highlighted at a salon. Do they do silver highlights? That could look cool.
    kasippu and msdeb like this.

"A massive penis means never having to say you're sorry". Mo

Quote Originally Posted by sprynkles View Post
    You would have to cut off all the colored hair to make it look okay, right? Otherwise, what a mess. Or get it highlighted at a salon. Do they do silver highlights? That could look cool.

I agree with Sprynkles. It will look a lot better without the colored ends.

Grey can be superchic, especially if it has some white highlights as most natural greys already have and it sounds like yours has this as well, but you need to take good care of it or it ages you. So special shampoos and good conditioning treatments.

There are very few people who look good in grey and it's a lot of work too to get a pleasing silver grey, cut and look chic etc. I hope you can make friends with a good salon. They are not all like that.
    I have some famous friends and I have mostly not famous friends.

A*O

Agree. Don't let some 22ur old clueless bimboid intimidate you! A good salon has skilful staff without an Attitude. They are there to do a great job. Embrace them.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

I really like grey hair, but only when it's on the shorter side. It can be very chic that way. When it's long it has a tendency to look unkempt and witch-like.
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

I really dont know how my real hair look now.I have a short cut ,a dark blond base with lighter mixed highlights.I need to do the roots every 40 days and though it is not so much i am tired of my hair and need a change.So,i thought turning a platinum color and then let the roots grow out and see..I love silver gray,it is so classy and special,but not on long hair,it is too much and it ages the face.The saying*the older you are the shorter and lighter the hair*is a good advice.So,yes,go for a change if you wish.But in my experience a big change needs small side changes to be effective..like bolder colors in dressing,or a special shade of lipstick or glasses if you were them..
    "Effie is all kinds of awesome." - Some internet moderator

Quote Originally Posted by azoria View Post
    I know you're right about this, and it IS what I should do.

I have a terrific aversion to salons, and cosmetic counters, and spas, and the beauty industry in general. They're so brutal, there is always some smug pretty 22 year old girl who rolls out of bed in the morning looking great, eyeing me up and down and I know she's thinking "yeah, you're really beyond the limits of anything we can help." Women in the beauty services are dreadful, so condescending. I haven't even cut my hair in 2 years, I just haven't been able to make myself face them.

I don't think I have the courage for a makeover. But I do think you're right.
    going grey is a big change so you can't just half ass it or do it yourself. shop around, if you see a woman in the street with beautiful grey hair, ask her where she has it cut. you might also have to still get some colour done, even if it's just a few highlights, to blend all the different colours in your hair, but that's hard to tell since i don't know what your hair looks like.
    also, what colour is your skin? do you have cool or warm undertones? if you have very marked warm or olive undertones, it could be a little trickier and you might have to consider a light toner to bring the grey more in line with your skin.
    but these are all things you need to talk about with a good colourist and/or hair stylist, one with experience with grey hair.

and yeah, you have to cut it to get rid of all the coloured parts and get down to your natural base.

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    I really like grey hair, but only when it's on the shorter side. It can be very chic that way. When it's long it has a tendency to look unkempt and witch-like.
    that's true. the only women i've seen pull off long grey hair are women who are naturally blessed with thick, beautiful hair and whose grey is quite even and silvery.

i also agree with effie about clothes or make up glasses. this is a big change and you might have to make smaller changes in wardrobe, make up, etc. to make the transition.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

I remember the most beautiful gray hair I ever saw was on this airline attendant--she was Native American and had long, white/silver/gray hair. Of course it was pulled back and very neat, sort of a half-up do with the long part tied in the back. And I stared at her the whole flight, it was a thing of beauty.

Quote Originally Posted by azoria View Post
    I have/had brown hair, and some years ago it developed a dead white patch right in the front, just like a skunk. I didn't want to look like a skunk so I started to color it.

Now it has been colored for many years, which requires a lot of maintenance, and I'm not sure I want to keep it up anymore so I've left it alone for a couple of months to see what is its real color. Kind of a mangy brindle brown/grey/patchwork blah. In my 20's I had such beautiful hair..... I got used to seeing brown hair, I envision myself as a person with brown hair. I don't know what I look like without brown hair.

Anybody else stop coloring their hair after such a long time and gone to natural brindle - some grey, some brown, some white, and just let it go? My hair is long and I keep it put up.

I can't decide.
    I never started coloring. I love grey hair and wish mine would grey faster, but I still have just the skunk in the same spot my grandmother did
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

My hair is longish (shoulder blades) and layered and so far I have a few strands of grey with a bit of a Lily Munster streak at the front. The colour is still good and my hair is very healthy because I haven't coloured it or used products or too much heat, but when it inevitably starts to fade and lose its texture I'll definitely be going to a short style. When I was in my 20s and 30s I had stylists begging me to put highlights through it but now I'm going grey they all tell me to leave it alone and stay natural, which suits me because I'm too lazy to maintain it coloured. Moral of the story: look after your hair when you're young, and it will repay you when you're an old bag like me (but genetics plays a small part too).
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information