Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Aging/changing hair

Default Aging/changing hair

I am 50 and I have always had pin straight hair. Now that I am about 50% gray the texture haas changed dramatically. Unfortunately, it means my hair is naturally doing these flippy, floppy swirl things and I would fit right into a 1970's episode of Charlies Angels. It also gets fuzzy. Not frizzy...fuzzy. Like a freaking cotton ball. Not exactly the modern look I would prefer.

So without wanting to fry my hair are there any tools besides a flat iron that smooth hair? My stylist works wonders with a round brush, I just can't do it. I have a large barrel curling iron which also works well but I don't want to use it daily. And I color my hair.

I don't know how long your hair is, but a Brazilian Blowout treatment at a salon can make it straight and glossy for up to a few months at a time, from what I understand.
    JazzyGirl likes this.
    Santa is an elitist mother fucker -- giving expensive shit to rich kids and nothing to poor kids.

Quote Originally Posted by JazzyGirl View Post
    I am 50 and I have always had pin straight hair.
    I'm getting close to that age and I've always had pin straight hair too, so I guess this is what I have to look forward to. Not very helpful, I know.
    JazzyGirl likes this.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

I'm 61 and my hair has more body than it had when I was younger. (Probably not what you were looking for...)
    JazzyGirl likes this.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

My hair sounds very similar too yours, and the fuzz drives me nuts and most products make it look greasy and using a flat iron takes a toll so I try not to use it very often.

I know different things work for different people so it can be an expensive search to find the right products. I googled hair products for months and came up with the Paul Mitchell Awapuhi line (black packaging) it has a type of protein in it that helps with the fuzz and helps damaged hair. (from colouring and hot ironing)

There is a protein treatment pack you can buy on ebay it comes with moisturising shampoo, 2x keratriplex shots, and keratin intensive treatment. The shots should only be used once a month as a treatment and I use the shampoo and treatment conditioner all the time. It works wonderful taming my hair, and makes it very easy to blow dry straight without the fuzz, the pack was about $20 usd. The line also has a blow out spray that is fantastic on my fine hair and it doesn't weigh it down.

I don't know if it will work for you of course, but it is an amazing line of hair products that might be worth a try. I hope you find something that works, I really know how you feel.

PS: I should have said the pack I bought is like a sample pack with 100ml of shampoo/treatment conditioner and 2 x treatment shots it was a good place to start for me money wise to try them out before buying the full size products.

https://www.paulmitchell.com/our-pro...i-wild-ginger/
    Last edited by Jazzy; October 30th, 2014 at 06:29 PM. Reason: added info
    JazzyGirl and dexter7 like this.

^ from one Jazzy to another...thank you! And Manx...I'll look into that too.

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

I don't know how good they actually are but I keep seeing articles raving about Ionic hairbrushes and hair dryers being great at taming fluffy/frizzy hair. If it's really bothering you it might be worth doing some googling and checking out prices and reviews.
    JazzyGirl likes this.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

My hair has changed over the years, going from stick straight and super smooth to coarse and wavy, with one area that is so frizzy I can barely comb it when it's wet. I've recently started doing coconut oil treatments, just putting coconut oil in wet hair and letting it sit for about 30 minutes, then washing it out. I put a little bit more coconut oil in my hair after I wash and condition it. I've noticed that it's been much less fuzzy and although it's still coarse, it feels more silky. The out of control area is now more in control. I don't blow dry my hair, and only heat style about once a week. I think I'm done with all the products I used to try. I'm going to stick with coconut oil.
    palta, JazzyGirl and Belt Up like this.

Almond oil works for me. I'm using it once a week on dry hair, cover with a warm towel while I clean the house, then rinse and shampoo it like usual. You can leave it overnight too.
    JazzyGirl likes this.

I have an ionic hair dryer. It was about $50 and it's a Conair. I can not tell any difference at all when it's on the ionic setting or not. There are $200 dryers out there. I don't know if they are any better.
    The only thing that works for me is a lot of heat and work. Hot rollers, or straightening. I really hope one of you out there knows a secret.

"A massive penis means never having to say you're sorry". Mo

Elite Member

I second the Brazilian Blowout. My hair has always been hard to manage and a few years ago my bangs when absolutely apeshit crazy, with hair going every which way. My hairdresser said that some of it was down to hormones and just the crazy-ass way that grey hair can behave. The Brazilian Blowout changed my life and I wish I had started having them years ago. Pricey, yes, but how nice to finally have great hair.
    JazzyGirl likes this.
    Minutus cantorum, minutus balorum, minutus carborata descendum pantorum

Good to know BB. I had heard they cause super bad breakage. So I've been afraid of trying it.

I have heard great things about the L'oreal Steampod.

I don't want to wash and dry my hair everyday and I've been wanting to try the InStyler rolling brush thing. I found a thread here at GR that had mixed reviews, and at around $100 I am looking for someone locally who will let me borrow it before I buy it.

My hairdresser is not currently working in a salon, (cuts and colors me at her house) but she tries to keep up. Maybe I'll be her guinea pig for a Brazilian Blowout. Hmmmm.

Inigo...I just looked that up, I have not had good luck with flat irons, ALWAYS get ridges, and it seems that one night of sleeping (plus night sweats) just negates all that work.

My flat iron has rounded edges. I really love it. It is super easy to use and I can even curl the ends with it. I love the feel of my hair afterwords. I only do it maybe 3 times a month. It's so drying to my hair.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information