Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flat irons: Wet or dry? It doesn't matter!

Default Flat irons: Wet or dry? It doesn't matter!

Flat Irons: Wet or Dry? It Doesn't Matter!

Without a question, styling your hair causes damage. In studies evaluating the different methods of styling hair, the only one that doesn't hurt hair is just letting it air dry (Sources: Journal of Cosmetic Dermatology, July 2003, page 180; and Global Cosmetic Industry, January 2002, pages 30–32).

Unfortunately, the only way to get your hair to do what you want it to do (instead of what it wants to do naturally) is with styling tools that produce high heat. Flat irons, in particular, deliver intense heat directly to the hair shaft. One way to prevent damage when using a flat iron on your hair is to always be sure the hair is 100% dry before you start ironing it, as I've often advised. Otherwise, any excess moisture left in the hair could literally boil. Water boils at 212°F, and most flat irons get far hotter than that—over 350°F is typical. What happens when that kind of heat comes in direct contact with the hair, especially if you leave it in one place for too long, is that the water inside the hair shaft boils and turns to steam, which causes the hair to break or rupture at every boiling point. But all that has changed with a new generation of flat irons that can be used on hair whether it is wet or dry. A special venting system built into the plates of the flat iron allows the steam to escape instead of remaining in the hair shaft, thus eliminating the damage and creating straight smooth hair as the hair dries.

We tested two different flat irons with a TV station here in my hometown of Seattle (KOMO-TV, Northwest Afternoon). We compared the Remington Wet 2 Straight ($29.99) with the T3 Tourmaline Wet-to-Dry Flat Iron ($150). Both of them worked great for drying and smoothing the hair perfectly straight. The Remington came out ahead for making the hair feel smoother and working slightly faster! Either way, this new way to straighten hair is definitely a styling advantage, and you don't have to spend a lot of money to get superlative results.

You will find that these wet/dry flat irons work best on damp hair, as opposed to hair that is soaking wet. Dripping wet hair can take a long time to dry and smooth. Removing some of the moisture first with a blow dryer will make things go a lot faster. Wet/dry flat irons are also great for touch-ups on mornings when you aren't going to wash your hair. A stubborn area can be sprayed with water and easily and quickly restyled. As a reminder, all high-heat styling tools work better if you use light tension—that is, don't pull too hard. For best results, use minimal tension while keeping the implement moving over the hair instead of resting it in one spot for too long

Source: Paula Begoun

Default Re: Flat Irons: Wet or Dry? It Doesn't Matter!

Still wouldn't do it
    He who knows does not speak.
    He who speaks does not know.
    Lao-tzu

I love my hair iron. But I have not tried those wet to straight ones yet.

pretending to be a lurker but I'm not quiet enough

I think the steam or ceramic flat irons are better...not that I use it often...

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

I own the Remmington wet dry version. I have never used any other type of flat iron, so I have nothing to compare it to. I like the fact it has many settings, it tells you what settings to use for wet hair. It heats up in under a minute. It works very well for me.

"A massive penis means never having to say you're sorry". Mo

it'll fry your hair just like the metal round brushes do. it's the same idea, but with the heat built right in.

like those brushes... AVOID.

my flat iron says it can be used on wet or dry hair... I use it when my hair is semi dry... I also use protective products and it looks prettyful each time.
    if it comes in pink... I'll take it!!

Gold Member

my mom and sisters use one, i don't. i just leave my waves, curls

I have a Remington Wet 2 Straight, and use it frequently, but not everyday. It has several settings depending on hair type and whether hair is wet or dry. I love it. I have noticed no damage to my hair. In fact, my hair is healthy and shiny.

^^ It should, be even if you do it often...and you take care of your hair it really shouldn't be damaged by it! I have gotten a stupid ceramic flat iron from qvc which is horrible had to turn it all the way up literally..and I have thin fine hair! And it only lasts a day or two!

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

I would never use any kind of iron on even semi damp hair I don't care what they say; it is essential to keep the blow dryer moving too... when high heat is applied to damp or wet hair the water will actually boil in the hair shaft creating prime areas for breakage and fucking up the strands texture.

^Yeah honestly, it just isn't a good idea to flat iron wet area period...Especially if it's close to the roots..I can completely see it breaking off then...if it is wet.

I would never do it. In fact, i don't even see the appeal in it. How the heck could you get volume in your hair if you are flat-ironing it damp? I'll stick to my hairdryer to get volume and flatiron to smooth and style after my hair is completely dry.

id never do it to wet hair and im just thinking of heat travelling up the hair shaft and burning my scalp..
    Alicia Silverstone: "I think that the film Clueless was very deep. I think it was deep in the way that it was very light. I think lightness has to come from a very deep place if it's true lightness."

Elite Member DoveFeatheredRaven's Avatar

I think the idea of the wet-dry versions are they sort of steam the moisture out and does that instead of pulling out the natural moisture in your hair. Of course, any flat iron is supposed to be used with some sort of product to help eliminate the drying out of the hair.

I have always used the regular Chi flat iron. I bought a Tourmaline and hated it. You can get the Chi ceramic for about $80-100 on Amazon. Mine always last years. I have short hair so I blow dry for volume and then flat iron it.

I think the wet-dry are ideally suited for people going for that really straight flat look.
    Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?” George Carlin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information