Thread: Foundation Dos and Don'ts for a Flawless Finish

Default Foundation Dos and Don'ts for a Flawless Finish

Dear Paula,
    What is the trick to applying foundation in such a manner that you get a “flawless” complexion? Any hints or suggestions on how I can get the same results as you have in your photographs? I have actually done this a few times, but it has been nothing more than a fluke, as I have NO idea how I managed it, but loved the result and hated to take my makeup off at the end of the day.

Susan, via email

Dear Susan,
    I wish you had given me more information because without knowing how you typically apply your makeup, what type of foundation you're using, what skin-care products you're using, and even the condition of your skin, there is no way for me to know what step or steps along the way are going awry for you. Many factors can affect the way your foundation will end up looking. I wish it weren't so complicated, but it is. For example, if you have dry skin and your cleansing/moisturizing routine is leaving the surface of your skin flaky, foundation can make the problem more noticeable. Alternatively, if you have oily skin and are using a moisturizer or a foundation that is too emollient (even an oil-free one can be too emollient or not oil-absorbing or matte enough), the foundation can slide right off. Even on oily skin, drying skin-care products can also cause flaking, so you could have two problems working against you even before you put on your makeup.

In terms of applying foundation, the right foundation for your skin type (appropriately matte or appropriately smoothing) and the right color for your skin tone are paramount. If you had told me your skin type, I could make some recommendations, I just need more information. But I don't want to leave you without any suggestions, so following are a few ideas about some typical mistakes women make when applying foundation.
    • If you have dry skin, use a moisturizer that reduces flaking, but not one so emollient that it leaves the skin greasy.

• If you have oily skin, do not use a moisturizer. Rather, use a toner loaded with state-of-the-art ingredients. That way you give the skin what it needs to look healthy and smooth without adding emollients.

• Don't be afraid to put on enough foundation. A lot of women put on too little, wiping away more than they blend on. Not enough foundation means poor, uneven coverage, and unless you have flawless skin that won't fulfill the goal of applying foundation.

• Some women are really good at applying foundation with their fingers, but that is the exception rather than the rule. It is rare for professional makeup artists to ever use their fingers to apply foundation. A smooth, flat sponge can apply foundation evenly over the skin. Think of how finger-painting looks on a paper or canvas, and you'll realize that won't get you the results you're looking for.

• Be sure to apply foundation over the entire eye area. For foundation to look even, it needs to be applied all over the central area of the face and then blended out to almost nothing along the jaw.

• When you are done applying foundation, apply a concealer under the eye area that is only one or two shades lighter than your foundation. This is basic for creating a brightness around the eye. Be sure to blend the edges of the concealer into the foundation.

• The last step is to lightly apply a sheer pressed or loose powder using a brush. This should only be a dusting. Dip the brush into the loose powder or sweep it across the pressed powder and knock off the excess, as that reduces the risk of applying too much powder.

Source: Paula Begoun

Default Re: Foundation Dos and Don'ts for a Flawless Finish

I have been using "Bare Escentuals" mineral makeup since May. It took me awhile to get it right, but I love love love it. I have very red cheeks and this product covers quite nicely . I also have a lovely buttery cream foundation from Adrian Arpel I love which I apply with a big blush brush. This is an awesome way to apply foundation and I think you use alot less and get better coverage.

Meryl doesn't even try anymore. She just calls Lanvin and asks for curtains with a belt.~Bitter
    Can we interest you in Leann Rimes? She has a nice little cadre of fans you'd probably enjoy.~ Pecan Pie

I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

I detest foundation. I prefer powder myself.

I'll wear liquid foundation if I know there will be photos or if it's a dressy night out but otherwise, no. It's not worth it with sensitive skin and I'm not willing to spend a mint just to find the right formula that doesn't drive me crazy.

The worst thing I see people do with foundation is have that solid orange line that stops at the jaw. HOW can you not see that???
    Don't worry about what other people think. They don't do it very often.

^^^LOL I know, it's scary awful.

Meryl doesn't even try anymore. She just calls Lanvin and asks for curtains with a belt.~Bitter
    Can we interest you in Leann Rimes? She has a nice little cadre of fans you'd probably enjoy.~ Pecan Pie

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    Gotta love it!

I've stopped using foundation because I can't find one pale enough. Seriously. I used Clinique Perfectly Real in 01, but I'd always have this orange tint under any kind of light. I just use concealer and carry around blotting paper now.
    2 years...

Quote Originally Posted by NawdleZouss View Post
    Gotta love it!

I've stopped using foundation because I can't find one pale enough. Seriously. I used Clinique Perfectly Real in 01, but I'd always have this orange tint under any kind of light. I just use concealer and carry around blotting paper now.
    I have the same problem. I am very light skinned and oily skinned. I really liked Loreal Mattique but they discontinued it.

Anyone with pale oily skin, please add your two cents on recommended foundations.
    Did you know that an anagram for "Conscious Uncoupling" is "Iconic Uncool Pus Guns"? - MohandasKGanja

Lil

My very pale skinned friend uses Shiseido foundation and powder. Haven't tried it myself but she likes it.
    A big boy did it and ran away.

Quote Originally Posted by Lil View Post
    My very pale skinned friend uses Shiseido foundation and powder. Haven't tried it myself but she likes it.
    I'm pale and oily skin, and I use Shiseidos Sun Protection Liquid Foundation SPF 40. It does not budge. You have to use an oil cleanser to remove it.

When I don't feel like putting the effort into wearing liquid foundation, I use L'oreal's Bare Natural Mineral Foundation. It's very light, and it's great for those with oily skin.

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

I detest foundation. I prefer powder myself.

I'll wear liquid foundation if I know there will be photos or if it's a dressy night out but otherwise, no. It's not worth it with sensitive skin and I'm not willing to spend a mint just to find the right formula that doesn't drive me crazy.

The worst thing I see people do with foundation is have that solid orange line that stops at the jaw. HOW can you not see that???
    I'm the same way. Foundation makes my skin feel horrible, while a good powder provides a bit of coverage without looking fake. I'll use foundation once in a very great while but it has to be for something pretty important. Like, erm, I can't actually think of anything.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Thread Information