Thread: iPLEDGE My Allegiance to…Accutane?

Default iPLEDGE My Allegiance to…Accutane?

iPLEDGE My Allegiance to…Accutane?

For those suffering with acne, Accutane can be a miracle drug, potentially curing the problem, or at the very least greatly reducing it to a manageable level that can be handled with traditional treatments. Where the miracle abruptly stops is at the point where Accutane poses serious risks to women who get pregnant while taking it because severe damage to the developing fetus is to be expected. Despite ongoing efforts over the past 20 years to help physicians warn their female patients about the dangers of getting pregnant while taking Accutane, more than 120 pregnancies still occur among those patients almost every year. In response to this alarming statistic, the FDA created a system called iPLEDGE for female patients, which requires a combination of comprehensive preventive measures such as mandatory pregnancy testing, and, for both physicians and pharmacies, extensive documentation responsibility.

Some of the new mandatory stipulations, effective as of March 1, 2006, are as follows: Accutane must be distributed only by iPLEDGE-registered wholesalers, dispensed only by iPLEDGE-registered and -activated pharmacies, prescribed only by iPLEDGE-registered and -activated prescribers, and prescribed/dispensed only for iPLEDGE-registered and -activated patients.

For females of childbearing potential, Accutane must be prescribed initially on confirmation of two negative pregnancy tests (one screening test conducted when the decision is made to pursue qualification of the patient for Accutane, and a second confirmation test conducted at a certified laboratory within seven days of the office visit). Subsequent prescriptions are contingent on confirmation of a monthly negative pregnancy test conducted at a certified laboratory. Every month, documentation must include a signed statement from the patient indicating the two chosen forms of contraception that will be used. Further, all Accutane users must now enroll by telephone at (866) 495-0654 or through the Internet at http://www.ipledgeprogram.com in order to receive the drug.

These precautions, though cumbersome, will save many women the ordeal and torment of having a malformed baby. I still want to emphasize that for those with severe acne who can comply with these requirements, the end of the road can be smooth, unblemished skin. There are serious side effects associated with Accutane, but the potential for having normal skin can be worth it—I know it was for me.

Source: Paula Begoun

SVZ

Default Re: iPLEDGE My Allegiance to…Accutane?

Good, Accutane is not a drug to be taken lightly or at a whim - and unfortunately it's treated as such in the name of vanity.

KD
    Elite Member

Accutane can be VERY harmful emotionally and mentally as well. There have been documented cases of suicides due to it. Also if someone has a history of depression, even in their family DO NOT TAKE IT! I never had a problem with depression at all and since being on Accutane over 4 years ago, I have suffered with it. It came on while using Accutane. Horrible, horrible depression. When I said something to my Dermatologist, he said that it can be a horrible side effect from the drug. I completely believe that there have been people who have commited suicide while taking Accutane. I would never let my child go on this. I was in my late 20's (29/30) when I started using this. Also, it worked for me while I was *on* the drug, but not after.

It can help, many satisfied customers, I just wish that I hadn't.

*In the "handbook" you get before you take the drug, it does talk about depression, I just figured since I had never had a problem with depression, it wouldn't affect *me.*

DO NOT TAKE IT!! It does cause depression (extreme depresssion that I know from experience as well), and while it will clear up your skin, you will not be able to go out in the sun as it makes your skin more sensitive, and your lips will be severely chapped all the time (buy the strongest lip balm you can, and stock in it, because you will use tons). Plus you can have disformed babies (most doctors will make you take a blood pregnancy test each month), and like KD says - it works while you are on it, but once you get off, you are going to get acne again (even in my late 20's).

Acne is depressing and stressful, but I would not recommend trading your health for this drug.

Accutane also helped many people who had confidence problems because of their skin, I know a few of them - they didn't have depression at all, were rather euphoric as it changed their life --Of course it can create malformations in foetuses, but it's not hard to understand you shouldn't get pregnant when your doc ask you to prove you are taking a contraceptive and you have to sign a document saying you understand you shouldn't get pregnant --same thing about avoiding sun exposure, it's easy to do -- Too bad for those who got depressed but you can't know in advance if you will get that side effect, it's not as if a majority of patients get that way

As for the results stopping when you quit the drug, some people need two or three courses (your derm should have the statistics) it's well worth trying again if the first time isn't enough

I find it hard to believe that the drug itself is a direct cause of depression. I mean, think about it, it is mostly taken by teenagers with very bad acne...so you don't think that the very bad acne, and the redness, and the peeling, and the self-esteem issues associated with that can make them a little depressed, on top of all the other teenage-type woes? I think it's more coincidence than anything.

KD
    Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by tofucheesecake
    I find it hard to believe that the drug itself is a direct cause of depression. I mean, think about it, it is mostly taken by teenagers with very bad acne...so you don't think that the very bad acne, and the redness, and the peeling, and the self-esteem issues associated with that can make them a little depressed, on top of all the other teenage-type woes? I think it's more coincidence than anything.
    I've done my research, it is KNOWN to cause severe depression. It is in the Accutane/Roche Laboratory pamphlet they give you when you decide to go on the drug. IMO, as someone who has taken the drug, I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND IT. Yes, it has worked for many, but IMO, the risks are much too severe. Again, just one person's opinion who has taken this drug. Take my advice or leave it, just sharing my experience.

Also I was in my late 20's. Not a teenager. Google Accutane and depression if you think it's a *coincidence.*

Quote Originally Posted by lalala
    Accutane also helped many people who had confidence problems because of their skin, I know a few of them - they didn't have depression at all, were rather euphoric as it changed their life --Of course it can create malformations in foetuses, but it's not hard to understand you shouldn't get pregnant when your doc ask you to prove you are taking a contraceptive and you have to sign a document saying you understand you shouldn't get pregnant --same thing about avoiding sun exposure, it's easy to do -- Too bad for those who got depressed but you can't know in advance if you will get that side effect, it's not as if a majority of patients get that way

As for the results stopping when you quit the drug, some people need two or three courses (your derm should have the statistics) it's well worth trying again if the first time isn't enough
    And not everyone who gets pregant and is on Accutane has a child that has birth defects, but a PERCENTAGE do. Just like the depression. And yes, I wish those that would have a negative reaction like depression while on this drug could somehow know before hand.

FYI, my husband went on it as a teenager for back acne and never had depression. And his back is clear. *shrugs*

Any why would I even think about doing another round of Accutane if the depression was this severe?? Not well worth trying again, IMO.

Elite Member

I was prescribed Accutane a few years ago for my face. I was required to read and sign a collection of papers stating that I understood the risks of the drug (which were outlined clearly). I had to take a preg. test on the spot monthly and declare with another signature that if I chose to be sexually active that I would use 2 forms of birth control. Blood tests were also mandatory and made routine.

Also, the packets that you pop the pill out of have warnings all over listing the possible side effects and even illustrations of the possible birth defects known to coincide with pregnancy and accutane to discourage improper use of the drug. Every packet also contains a pamphlet that further details the side effects including syptoms of depression.

It is a dangerous drug so if your doctor/dermatologist prescribed it to you without any warnings or if you aren't required to do the monthly pregnancy test then they are not doing their job.

And NO ONE that is on Accutane should be having babies. Period. There's no way of claiming ignorance to the possible side effects unless their prescriber pops each and every pill out of the packet and puts it in a separate, unmarked container. Not likely.

SVZ

Not to mention it's near impossible to actually get the pills out of the packet! I ended up popping some of the pills trying to get them out

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

^ ewwww i never popped one of those things (they're so expensive that i would never waste one), but i always wondered what was inside!

I would go back on b/c my face is an oily-Brandon-Davis type mess, but its too much trouble; liver checks, blood drawn, birth control, etc.! and I know someone who went on twice and she had to drop outta school and went psycho on me from it!

SVZ

It's this weird orange oily shit

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

and that was in my body!?! and anything that might mess w/ your liver is not cool in my book! even though your liver can re-generate itself and shizz like that; still thats a scary organ to mess with!

omg i just had deja vu of another deja vu i had some months ago whilst discussing the same thing on here; omg i'm a loser!

Zee

I always wondered what was inside. Worked wonderfully for me. But it did make my ears very dry.
    Drive a car, drive a boat, drive a plane. What does it matter? As long as I'm drunk!
    pəʇɐɔɐɯnpə ɹ ı

Thread Information