Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Smoky Eyes

Question Smoky Eyes

I wanted to do a nice, very dramatic smoky eye for Halloween, but have never attempted it before. Any tips/directions?

Practice

I get good results from some el cheapo Cover Girl eyeshadow. It's a trio called Curtain Call. I use the sparkly white color as my base color and then use the dark gray color heavily on my lids and blend it up into my creases.

Also use the gray in place of eyeliner by my lower lashes. Finish up with several coats of mascara.

Getting the blending part perfected was hard for me. I spend entirely too much time playing with makeup, though, so I got lots of good practice in.

The best advice I ever got regarding eyeshadow is to apply it with a good make-up brush and not the sponge applicators that come with the shadow. It makes it much easier to blend using a brush.

Quote Originally Posted by lalaland
    I had a "professional" do my makeup in Saks Fifth Ave a few years ago. He supposedly worked with celebrities. I was so excited! Made an appointment for late Saturday afternoon because I had plans with hubby that night. Jesus, this guy took a fucking hour - kept applying more and more and more - told me it was hard to get both sides "perfect". I expected the worst but prayed for a miracle so I just sat there and took it. When he was done, and very satisfied with his creation he gave me a mirror. Holy shit, I looked like a cracked out $2 street whore. I couldn't get to the bathroom fast enough to wash that shit off. Funny thing was I had to pass back by him to get out
    Someone once told me that those people only know how to apply makeup for the cameras and not for real life. I know what you mean though. I don't think I've ever liked a makeover long enough to get it home.
    Buying is a profound pleasure. Simone De Beauvoir

Bronze Member

same here...I got a makeover in milan a couple of time, and was less than satisfied with the results

I got an amazing smoky eye makeover at Ulta. He started with a "Day look" which was very subtle and then showed me how to transform that into a night look which included sexy, smoky eyes

it's all in the texture of the shadow. some are too dry and don't blend, some are too oily and will run or you'll have dark lines of it in the crease after a while. that and some practice and looking at magazine pictures of make-up you like for inspiration

Quote Originally Posted by BlueEyesCryin View Post
    Someone once told me that those people only know how to apply makeup for the cameras and not for real life.
    But when they are professional they are supposed to know how to apply makeup BOTH for the cameras AND for real life!

I got professional makeup artists do my makeup too, and 3 times out of 4 I was more than satisfied, it broke my heart when I had to take it off

Quote Originally Posted by lalaland View Post
    I couldn't get to the bathroom fast enough to wash that shit off.
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueEyesCryin View Post
    I don't think I've ever liked a makeover long enough to get it home.
    Quote Originally Posted by Titania View Post
    same here...I got a makeover in milan a couple of time, and was less than satisfied with the results
    If sometimes you didn't like the makeup, maybe it wasn't always the makeup itself that was that bad, there's a possibility that you simply didn't see yourself carrying that look, while if somebody else had seen you they would have found you gorgeous.

pretending to be a lurker but I'm not quiet enough

I had a "professional" do my makeup in Saks Fifth Ave a few years ago. He supposedly worked with celebrities. I was so excited! Made an appointment for late Saturday afternoon because I had plans with hubby that night. Jesus, this guy took a fucking hour - kept applying more and more and more - told me it was hard to get both sides "perfect". I expected the worst but prayed for a miracle so I just sat there and took it. When he was done, and very satisfied with his creation he gave me a mirror. Holy shit, I looked like a cracked out $2 street whore. I couldn't get to the bathroom fast enough to wash that shit off. Funny thing was I had to pass back by him to get out
    I had the same thing happened to me when I had my makeup done at MAC. The dood was like "oh can I do something funky to your eyes?" I looked like a drag queen... I was embarrased to walk home in that makeup...

Other times, the makeup artists turned out to be really good e.g. at Nars, Anna Sui, Bobbie Brown.

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

I've really never had a complaint about any of the makeup applications I've had....I always give them some guidance as to what I'm looking for. Maybe once, I thought someone made me look too tan. I always tell them to take it easy on blush. But if you're looking for a very natural look, just say so. If you're not into makeup and someone does a smoky eye on you, you're not going to like it.

I had smoky eyes done at the Nars counter at Holt Renfrew (in Edmonton at the time). It was gorgeous! The girl did a fantastic job, she recommended different colours for different looks and then played around until she found what I was looking for. And she taught me how to apply it too, had me do one eye, then she did the other to match, etc. Overall, it was a great experience, though it was a very dramatic look.
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

Have you ever watched the Drew Carey show? I looked like Mimi when he was done. I'm not too sure anyone who wasn't extremely drunk and horny would think it looked gorgeous
    No I've never heard of that show...but ok, I believe you
    But don't give up, try with some other makeup artist, having your makeup done is fun!

Default Re: Smoky Eyes

My brother bought me a makeover and photoshoot session for my birthday but I havn't used it yet now I'm scared!!
    No man is worth your tears, but once you find one that is, he won't make you cry
    G_ F_CK Y__RS_LF - Would you like to buy a vowel??

Default Re: Smoky Eyes

Quote Originally Posted by Tiara View Post
    My brother bought me a makeover and photoshoot session for my birthday but I havn't used it yet now I'm scared!!
    Wow Tiara do it!!!

Now all this talk about makeovers has made me want to do it!!! I want to do it now!!!!!
    I also love to go with my girlfriends and see them having their makeup done, I enjoy just to look because I can learn something for myself.

Ti let's go together!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information