Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Does anyone have an idea how to fix a bad dye job?

Default Does anyone have an idea how to fix a bad dye job?

I've been dyeing my hair a lighter shade of blonde since my teens but recently I noticed that I'm getting really gray and my hair is sort of two toned with very light ash blonde at the roots and top of my hair and darker blonde on the bottom few inches. I only have shoulder length hair so it's pretty noticeable that my hair looks like it's half gray and half blonde!
    The top blonde is so ashen it might as well be gray and the bottom part is a bit brassy. I'm only 29, so I really don't want to go natural gray yet. I'm going to try a new salon but I don't know what to tell the colorist. Do I want to just go with the gray roots and dye my hair a lighter ash blonde and hope it takes at the ends of my hair too or try to dye it a little darker blonde, to a color I'd prefer but might be harder to maintain because of all the gray?
    Thanks.

A*O

Have this convo with the colourist. She'll know what to do and how. Sometimes bitter experience has taught me that you leave this kind of stuff to the professionals.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

I agree with A*O. I'm having a similiar problem lately. I'm also 29 and until recently only had a few gray hairs on one side of my head that would come in every few months and prompty get plucked. Just in the last few weeks, I've noticed that they are now on both sides of my part (no idea why they were specific to the one side for so long). They still aren't at the point where they are noticable (maybe 15 strands total, if that), but I have dark brown hair which I don't color (save a few experimental highlights and one horrible experience trying to darken it that left it jet black when I was a teen). I know that the day is coming when the gray will become obvious, especially with my dark hair, and I will have to start dying it to avoid looking like Cruella DeVille. I have already told my hairdresser to be honest with me when that day comes and we will figure out a low maintenance solution. If you have a stylist you trust, I'd suggest doing the same. They don't want you to look bad, and they will take into consideration what works with your lifestyle and budget. As someone who is super low maintenance about hair and has been known to cut it myself to save time and money, my guy has his work cut out for him. Find a colorist you trust to tell you what will look best and be easiest to manage. Maybe just getting a consultation will point you to the right shade and you can find a match to dye at home, though I'd suggest one professional coloring before doing it yourself so you can see how it should look when applied.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out!
    Neptunia likes this.
    My doctor says that I have a malformed public-duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fibre and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes.- Douglas Adams

Go to the Pro.
    Neptunia likes this.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Quote Originally Posted by Neptunia View Post
    I don't know what to tell the colorist.
    Tell the colorist exactly what you told us - that you've noticed that you're going more gray and you're now getting a two-toned, ombre effect with cool tones on top and warm on bottom that you'd like to avoid. If (s)he knows what they're doing, they will know how to fix what's already been done and whether you should stick with warmer or cooler hair colors in the future.
    Neptunia likes this.
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

fgg

Quote Originally Posted by manningmsj View Post
    I agree with A*O. I'm having a similiar problem lately. I'm also 29 and until recently only had a few gray hairs on one side of my head that would come in every few months and prompty get plucked. Just in the last few weeks, I've noticed that they are now on both sides of my part (no idea why they were specific to the one side for so long). They still aren't at the point where they are noticable (maybe 15 strands total, if that), but I have dark brown hair which I don't color (save a few experimental highlights and one horrible experience trying to darken it that left it jet black when I was a teen). I know that the day is coming when the gray will become obvious, especially with my dark hair, and I will have to start dying it to avoid looking like Cruella DeVille. I have already told my hairdresser to be honest with me when that day comes and we will figure out a low maintenance solution. If you have a stylist you trust, I'd suggest doing the same. They don't want you to look bad, and they will take into consideration what works with your lifestyle and budget. As someone who is super low maintenance about hair and has been known to cut it myself to save time and money, my guy has his work cut out for him. Find a colorist you trust to tell you what will look best and be easiest to manage. Maybe just getting a consultation will point you to the right shade and you can find a match to dye at home, though I'd suggest one professional coloring before doing it yourself so you can see how it should look when applied.
    not to be a buzzkill but they probably are already noticeable. grey hair catches the light in a way that the rest of your hair doesn't. this is coming from a 35 yo with a couple that sprout through when i've gone too long between coloring. i have my hair done a pretty shade of brown all over and then slightly lighter and darker shades of brown "highlighted" throughout.
    Neptunia likes this.
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

I have let my color grow out and have a nice crown of grey coming in. Seriously, it's coming in on the back of my head and it looks like a feckin crown! I am on the band wagon of saying get the to a colorist!!!! Let us know how it goes. Post a pic of your lovely locks if you can.
    Neptunia likes this.

Go to a professional. A good one. And then buy some of this stuff (Clairol Shimmer Lights Original Conditioning Shampoo) for maintenance in between colour appointments. I have very ashy blonde hair, if et highlights, and this stuff keeps the colored bits from turning brassy. I bet the accidental ombré might even look good as long as you use this shampoo to keep the brassiness at bay.
    Neptunia likes this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Quote Originally Posted by fgg View Post
    not to be a buzzkill but they probably are already noticeable. grey hair catches the light in a way that the rest of your hair doesn't. this is coming from a 35 yo with a couple that sprout through when i've gone too long between coloring. i have my hair done a pretty shade of brown all over and then slightly lighter and darker shades of brown "highlighted" throughout.
    I totally agree cause that's how I noticed them. I have natural reddish and blonde tones mixed in (my hair's dark brown, but it lightens up to almost a chestnut in summer), so some of them kind of pass for blonde at first glance, which is probably why I missed the new ones for a while and only saw them when I went fishing. But my hair is also thick and curly, so I think they are still hidden from plain viewing. If you look closely or dig near the scalp, they are plain as day though. My dad's much younger girlfriend has almost jet black straight fine hair, though, with about twenty five or thirty grays right at the scalp and she looks awful. I don't get why she doesn't dye it with such a basic color, or even touch up the roots.

My hubs (who knows he is rewarded for honesty more than flattery) and my mom (super critical and not afraid to point out even the tiniest sign of aging - like smile lines that she insists I get botoxed) have assured me I'm not at that point. I think I have another year or so before the naked eye will spot them. For now, there's few enough to pluck. I'm totally not disciplined enough to start coloring regularly at this point and don't want to cut off my own nose by putting in chemicals that will speed up the process. I'm still wary of coloring it because of my mom swearing it's what made her gray. Still, your post has me thinking I should hit up the salon for a check-up soon. Maybe I'm closer to the point of no return than I realize. From my pluck count, I had about four long gray hairs and five or six little stubs that were coming back in. Definitely more than the three I'd been maintening since 27.
    Neptunia likes this.
    My doctor says that I have a malformed public-duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fibre and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes.- Douglas Adams

Everybody thanks so much for the advice! After reading all the replies, I decided to cancel the appointment at the salon I usually go to, which is OK but not that great and really invest in a good salon with an actual colorist that only does that job. The one I usually go to has a colorist that's really just a beautician, not an expert. I think I need an expert!
    I took the advice to get a consultation too, I have two appointments at two different salons with actual colorists, so I can get a couple perspectives on what I should do.
    I didn't realize how much gray hair can throw off hair color and how dry and wiry they can be too. My gray hairs are coming in not so much individually but in swaths, so if I'm taking after my dad like I think I am, I'll be almost entirely gray by the time I'm 35 (thanks dad!). So I better figure out how to dealt with this now.
    I'll definitely let everyone know what happens and post a pic of my finished look. I don't want to wear my hair back in a ponytail forever like I'm doing now, so you don't notice the two different shades, I hope everything can be fixed!
    Laurent and manningmsj like this.

^^^^ Good luck, Neptunia! I think you'll be okay. My mom has a similair hair color and went gray at 27 (to the point of needing to dye it) and even now in her sixties, she has never looked gray-haired, IMO. I think if you find the right shade of blonde, it's a little more forgiving. My mom starts to panic if she goes close to two months without coloring, but I swear she has never once looked obviously gray to my eye. Her color is a nice honeyish shade that really holds up well so that even when the gray comes in heavy, she still looks like a blonde until you're practically on top of her. The drawback of being a dark brunette is those suckers stick out like sore thumbs.

Hopefully you can find a color you love that's easy to maintain and won't look awful if you can't always get to the salon on time. Can't wait to see how it turns out! I also think I may be inspired to start my own thread for gray watch. Maybe get a few more honest opinions on my own color issue.

my mom (super critical and not afraid to point out even the tiniest sign of aging - like smile lines that she insists I get botoxed)
    please don't listen to a word she is saying. botox is NOT for smile lines.
    manningmsj likes this.
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

^^^^ Even if I did, my debilitating fear of needles would keep me from doing anything about it. But yeah, no plans to listen. This is the same woman who threw out all of her bath salts (and mine) after that canabal attack in Florida. She still doesn't believe they aren't the same thing. God love her, but my response to most of what she says is either a heavy eye roll or immediate google search to verify.

Thanks for the warning, though. If ever I do go that route, I'll have you to thank for not ending up disfigured. My first spot would be the bridge of my nose. I know a wrinkle is imminent from squinting. But I won't touch the smile lines. :-)

I forgot to put up my photo!
    I went to two different salons, the first one I didn't really care for because the colorist kept trying to push red hair on me. I told her I wanted to stay blonde but she said that red would be better for my skin. So I went to the second colorist and she was fantastic, she explained how she'd fix my hair, we went with the lighter blonde because it would be easier to care for since my hair is going gray so quickly ( young person's hair)
    I went back the next week and I don't know why I waited so long to go to a real colorist! Thanks everyone who suggested a proper colorist and not just a hair stylist that colors on the side, it made all the difference. My hair is one color now!

I took this photo in my grandmother's bathroom at her retirement home, as I was visiting her right after my appointment and I was just so excited that my hair color was finally corrected that I took the photo right there. Thanks for all the great hair advice, without it I'd still be wearing my hair in a pony tail! (Hope the photo isn't too big.)

sprynkles, sputnik and palta like this.

^^^^^ It looks great! Very thick and healthy. She did a great job.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information