Thread: Hugh Laurie: my fuss-free grooming routine

Default Hugh Laurie: my fuss-free grooming routine

Hugh Laurie: my fuss-free grooming routine

The actor Hugh Laurie explains how he stays looking suave and youthful thanks to various simple maintenance techniques

Hugh Laurie, the actor and musician

By Rachael Dove

7:00AM GMT 26 Nov 2013

Make time to moisturise
    A menís moisturiser is a product I really do like. The whole operation takes about one and a half seconds; I am not so busy I can ignore that. I think LíOrťal Men Expert Hydra Energetic Moisturiser (£6.99) works; my skin feels softer than before, plus it smells nice. I also recommend a mini-facial. A massage around the jaw feels lovely and doesnít take hours, as Iíd imagined.

Invest in shaving products
    I always travel with a good shaving kit, though I didnít shave when I was filming House. When I started doing the show, Gillette razors had two blades, and that was considered quite racy. When I finished eight years later they had five. Iíd forgotten how to do it. Toothpaste is my other essential. I can go without antiperspirant, and Iíll leave skin- and hair-care to the make-up artists to sort out while I do a sudoku, but I never compromise on dental hygiene.

Have a signature scent
    I think fragrance is important, but it takes confidence to say, ďThatís who I am.Ē Itís a rather defining moment. Women get more accustomed to making a fragrance statement Ė they start buying perfume earlier than men. I do love scent. On an aeroplane last week I asked the flight attendant what cologne he was wearing: I started looking forward to him coming down the aisle. Iíd like to own a parfumerie and launch a range of fragrances. ďGunpowderĒ would be my first.

Get a classic haircut
    I generally prefer the way Englishmen look to American men. No matter what their job is, American men are immaculately groomed. Their hair is blow-dried and they all seem to carry a comb in their pocket. I recently had dinner with George Clooney; he was impeccably turned out. You donít see so much of that in England outside footballís Premier League. I love going to old English barbers for the experience of it. Iíd advise staying away from any style cut with a parting; they remind me of politicians and make me nervous.

Build a grooming kit
    My sons have told me that concealing any sort of blemish is the road to happiness. I take some advice from them; they are quite fussy with their grooming habits. When I was young I just splashed on Brut aftershave and I was as good as ready. They have inspired me to invest in some more products, and although I donít use tubes upon tubes of them, I do like to be well turned out.

Keep it casual
    I prefer a relaxed approach to looking good. Over-grooming seems a waste of time; one could learn the trombone instead. When I see very well-groomed men I treat them with suspicion. Itís easy to become misguided in terms of what looks good. Try to keep some perspective; donít get carried away.

Hugh Laurie is the face of LíOrťal Paris Men Expert (loreal-paris.co.uk)

Hugh Laurie: my fuss-free grooming routine - Telegraph

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

Get a classic haircut
    I generally prefer the way Englishmen look to American men. No matter what their job is, American men are immaculately groomed. Their hair is blow-dried and they all seem to carry a comb in their pocket. I recently had dinner with George Clooney; he was impeccably turned out. You don’t see so much of that in England outside football’s Premier League. I love going to old English barbers for the experience of it. I’d advise staying away from any style cut with a parting; they remind me of politicians and make me nervous.
    I just found out I'm English!

Thread Information