Like Tree8Likes
  • 3 Post By McJag
  • 1 Post By levitt
  • 1 Post By witchcurlgirl
  • 1 Post By sputnik
  • 1 Post By McJag
  • 1 Post By MontanaMama

Thread: Beauty prep - what do you do before a big event/holiday?

Default Beauty prep - what do you do before a big event/holiday?

With my quarter century and a holiday inching ever closer, I am spending a lot of time thinking of stuff I can do to look my best. Wondering if I'm stuck in a bit of a beauty rut. Though day-to-day I'm very much a jeans and t-shirt kind of girl, when there is a big party, holiday etc. I am the first to go all out. I love getting ready and going that extra mile to at least feel like I look better than I did the day before. I am also hopefully going to LA a few times next year and I need to get some, so I want to look my absolute best.

Soooo, I was wondering what you guys do before a big event/party/holiday/Friday night/sex with someone new? I mean right down to the little things, doesn't just have to be the hours before. Most of mine involves hair removal (legs, underarms, lady garden, eyebrows, tache, chin - I'm a regular gorilla), nails, moisturising, whitening strips if it's a VERY big deal...you get the gist! I am prone to overlooking the simplest of beauty regimes though, so I was just wondering if any of you lovely ladies (and indeed lads) have any cool prep beauty tips to share.
    Ain't nothing wrong with Ohio wang! - MontanaMama

Ooo,I love these occasion! You have to think of yourself as a Prize Pig and keep it up,really. Occasion or no you never know when you will meet The One.
    Lets start with the bath or shower. As soon as you are out just pat dry,not scrub dry. Quickly (and I am adding this since someone said they bought a bath turban) Lower you head ,put middle of bathtowel at back of head. With head bowed,twist towel tightly in front,then toss bacck. There!
    Now,slather yourself in body cream or lotion. I use anything that says shea butter. Do not forget upper chest area.
    Elbows. knees. Back of knees. This works best if your skin is still a bit damp.

Hair-after shampoo, hold hair out to let water wash off back of hairs otherwise plastered to you body and left with dregs. Same after conditioning. Rinse,rinse.

If you not have one get a 10X magnifying mirror. Do not panic,no one will ever see you that close. It can help you spot wild hairs here & there. Take it outside in full sun if you can. Note face fuzz. If necessary trim them down, just because they are unnoticed in everyday life but can be way more visible in full sun.

Make sure your face is barely dry before you apply foundation. Make sure foundation matches your neck or blend down,no orange face,please. If you have very dry skin mix moisturizer and foundation in the palm of you hand first. Goes on like silk.

Feet-cream nightly while watching TV,especially the backs of your heels and around each toe. Also ankles & lower legs.
    By your bed keep saline spray and a moisturizing chapstick. Use right before you conk out.

All of this stuff can be done in less time spent writing about it. Just mindful seconds here & there.
    Remmber this: your most powerful weapon is your smile. Use it freely.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

I love you, McJag! I can always rely on you to post the right thing. I have started applying coconut oil in the shower, so that's really helping my skin. The feeling I get before the "big night" is such a simple pleasure in life. I'm already thinking about all the stuff I will do pre- and post- flight to LA in March wishing my life away? me? not at all...
    McJag likes this.
    Ain't nothing wrong with Ohio wang! - MontanaMama

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

I'm such a troglodyte. My big effort for the first date with my OH was to take a little extra care with my makeup and wearing a skirt and shoes instead of jeans and army boots. He'd already seen me at my worst and had previously held my hair out of a toilet while I was violently ill so the mystique was well and truly gone waaaaay before then.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

If it's a 'big' event/party I'll get my hair done at the salon.

Other than that I pretty much stick to my routine. Hair removal is done regularly anyway as part of my regular routine, brows every three weeks, bikini every 4. The nails/feet are regularly mani/pedi'd anyway, but i'll get a fresh one for a party, either the night before or morning of.

I normally do my own makeup. I'm a long term makeup junkie and am really good at application. Once in a while for a super 'big' thing I'll turn it over to a pro.
    McJag likes this.
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

honestly i don't think my routine changes that much for a big event, the only difference is i'll make sure i have more time to do everything and i'll put extra care into what i'm going to wear and what accessories, etc.

i get waxed about once a month. legs and bikini. except in summer where i only get my bikini and the upper half of my legs waxed and i shave my legs from the knee down because i wear skirts practically every day when the weather's warm and the thought of jeans makes me want to die, and there's always that week where you have to wait for hair to be long enough for the wax to grab it but by that point it's also visible.

i tweeze my own brows and i do a really good job so i refuse to let anyone else touch them. they're thick but well defined.

i do my own make up, even for super special occasions because the 3 times i've had a professional do it i looked like a tranny and had to wash my face and do it myself. maybe i just haven't found one that actually pays attention to what i want and makes an effort to 'get' my style. i wear concealer on any parts of my face that need it. i hate foundation and don't wear it. i use blotting papers instead of powder. i wear a light nude shadow over my lids. eyeliner (black kohl) on the top lid. mascara. lips are usually a stain or gloss for every day. i'll wear a bright red or hot pink lipstick if going out. more in winter than summer. a natural looking blush on my cheeks if i'm looking pale.

i try to use body lotion every day after i shower but i'll be honest, i forget most of the time so i probably do it once or twice a week. if it's a special occasion i'll remember.

i get mani/pedi's about every 2-3 weeks and do my own nail polish in between so if it's a special occasion i'll get one the night before or the day of.

i'll blow dry my hair and actually put some effort into it instead of just bending forward and blowing it dry. if i'm putting it up i'll do it in a big awesome bun or updo or something.

my clothes don't change that much either. i wear a lot of black, grey and non-colours. i'll liven it up with a pop of colour or jewelry or a cool scarf or something. lots of dresses for work. or cropped pants and a cute top. a jacket if it's a formal meeting. in my off time lots of skinny jeans, heeled booties, long blousy tops (i'm always on the lookout for affordable silk), cropped jacket or oversize blazer with rolled up sleeves. big, lightweight scarves. in summer, more dresses.
    like i said lots of neutrals like black, grey, greyish blues and greens - lots of muted 'non-colours' but i try to find things that are simple and well-cut but with a quirky touch here and there or a cool patterned top or something.
    if it's a really formal occasion i have a few fancy dresses and a really cool karl lagerfeld for h&m long black tuxedo coat that's great for nights out in winter because it's dressy and nicer than being all dressed up but going out in a casual parka or duffel coat over your fabulous outfit.
    McJag likes this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

I love the Estee Lauder blotting paper. Lasts ages & always fits in your tiny purse.
    Sput,I do implore you to wear at least BB cream on your face. You need a barely-there somethimg to keep all sun off your skin.
    And stop forgetting your after bath cream!
    You would not believe the difference in my skin and that of my same-age friends. They are all looking like that real unretouched picture of Katie Curic-hairline lines by their eyes & mouth. Not me! Because Mother always insisted. She always said it you don't take careof your face when you are 30 it will take care of you at 50! She was right.
    sputnik likes this.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

If it's a really swank event there's not much I can do once I wrestle into spanx, I'm a sweaty mess from which there is no recovery. But I will take great care to shave my pits and my legs! Perhaps I'll dig out the one tube of tinted lip gloss if I'm feeling especially perky, otherwise it's mascara and chapstick as per usual.

I know I disappoint you Madam McJag, but I have the type of hair that cannot be improved with product or effort, money or time always looks like crap and I have a face that does not accept make-up of any type, shade or tint. I sort of missed the girlie girl classes of my youth. Despite being a family of women, we're all shyte with hair and make-up. Someone has to make all you primpers look good, I accept my role humbly!
    faithanne likes this.
    If i hear one more personal attack, i will type while drunk, then you can cry! - Bugdoll
    (716): I'd call her a cunt, but she doesn't seem to have the depth or warmth
    Quote Originally Posted by shedevilang View Post
    (Replying to MontanaMama) This is some of the smartest shit I ever read

oh, mcjag, don't worry, i moisturise my face religiously every morning and night and my daytime moisturiser has 25spf and i wear it year round!
    and rest assured, despite forgetting my body cream, my elbows are baby pink and smooth.

eta: oh, and perfume. but i dab some behind my ears every day anyway.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

I'm like MM, make up and hair styling just don't work for me, but I make sure my skin and hair are in great condition and just assume that everyone will make allowances for my flakey hippy non-styled self. The only difference is I might wear tinted moisturiser as foundation, when I normally only wear mascara, lippy or gloss and maybe a light dusting of translucent powder when it's super humid. If I always get a great hair cut I don't need to style it.

One of my closest friends is a professional make up artist and back in our partying days we would all go out with perfect maquillage and at the end of the night everyone else would be streaky sweaty messes and we'd look like porcelain dolls. My skin hated it though. Now I don't really give a shit how I look to others, so long as I feel good and am happy with what I see in the mirror. I sound like I'm a hot mess but I'm not, honestly!
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

Thread Information