Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Advice needed - good haircuts for long hair

Default Advice needed - good haircuts for long hair

so it's that time again, where i have an appointment with a new hair guy and turn to you guys for advice. this time it's not colour but cuts that i need pictures of. specifically, good haircuts for long hair. right now my hair is the longest it's been in years and because it was summer and with the heat and humidity there's no point in doing anything with it, i just let it grow and rocked the accidental ombré hippie look for a while but now it's time to do my highlights and get a haircut. i'm keeping it long but i do want to lop about 2 inches off and get some layers. basically, something that will still have some shape and volume to it but not so many layers that it's a pain to style. also, while i'd love bangs, my cowlick makes them impossible since they just part to one side anyway but i would like some shorter pieces around my face or longer bangs that can be kept to one side. also, for reference, my hair is on the straight side but has some wave to it and gets frizzy when it's humid. it gets frizzy especially on the sides and around my face (yay). and i have a good amount but it's fine so i'm volume challenged.

so far i found this on pinterest but i need MOAR PICS so it's easier to explain to this guy what it is i want:

love this one but my hair is longer so i'm not sure it will work with longer hair. might be too choppy. also, looks like it requires a lot of work to style it properly.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

I just did this cut, not the color. I modified the bangs a bit because my stylist told me that I would have to trim them every few weeks.

oooh i like that! with a modified bang but i like the layers and the length since that's how long i want mine post cut. thanks, kris!
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

You're welcome!! I love the cut. It's the best one I've had in a while. It's nice when you pull it up in a bun or a ponytail, too.

OK you're my hair twin! Right down to the cowlick and ombre grow out, LOL
    I'm in desperate need of a cut too just haven't found a stylist here...

Side swept bangs and long layers are my staples though. I'd like to see a combo of both pics.
    Quote Originally Posted by Celestial View Post
    I also choose to believe the rumors because I am, when it is all said and done, a dirty gossip.

Yeah that's basically what I want too. I'm ginna show him both pics and hope for the best. Wish me luck!
    McJag likes this.

Luck! Let us know how you get on.
    i'm no help since I've been going to the same hairdresser for years (since 2005/6) and just let her do what she wants. My hair always looks great, but, I'll be honest & acknowledge that it has nothing to do with me!

i really like that first pic you posted Sput.
    Free Charmed.

I love the first hairstyle. I wonder if it is too high maintenance, since I have very rarely seen anyone with it.

thanks, guys. it worked out great and i'll definitely be going back to this guy. he styles hair for fashion editorials and runway shows, and the rest of the time he cuts and colours hair out of his apartment in williamsburg and charges less than half what the same services would have cost in a regular new york salon (prices are beyond ridiculous for hair here, and i lived in geneva before and was used to paying 250 dollars for a cut and highlights).
    the cut is basically the cut from the first picture but adapted for longer hair and the side 'bangs' are longer, the shortest bits are just above my chin.
    McJag likes this.

Wishing you luck! Mine is like the second pic only it has tons of grey and the bangs are shorter. I found with a style like the first pic, it's too much maintenance for me to style it, though the graduated layers work fine for those who are more into styling their hair, and I love the look of it. Good luck with what you choose!

ETA, just saw that it worked well and you'll be going back to that stylist. Glad it worked well!
    sputnik likes this.

Ooh! He sounds like a find Sput! Well done! Glad the cut worked too!
    sputnik and InigoMontoya like this.
    Free Charmed.

Those are my favorite kind of bangs. Side swept, sexy, fun and flirty Ms. Sput! Have you been happy with color in NYC?
    sputnik likes this.

the guy i went to before, i was very happy with the colour, not so much the cut (ok but nothing special and it didn't last long) and definitely not the prices, which are quite frankly ludicrous.
    with this guy, the cut is way better, and funkier, and he was able to replicate the colour i got before, though he went a little lighter near the front but he asked and i didn't mind because at this price i can come back more often than before whereas with the last guy i asked him to make sure the highlights were as natural and gradual as possible because i wasn't coming back for another six months!

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    the guy i went to before, i was very happy with the colour, not so much the cut (ok but nothing special and it didn't last long) and definitely not the prices, which are quite frankly ludicrous.
    with this guy, the cut is way better, and funkier, and he was able to replicate the colour i got before, though he went a little lighter near the front but he asked and i didn't mind because at this price i can come back more often than before whereas with the last guy i asked him to make sure the highlights were as natural and gradual as possible because i wasn't coming back for another six months!
    My guy is amazing with color, but I'm never in love with his cuts. Even though my cut is pretty basic, he usually does something I don't like or didn't want. This latest cut was perfect. He left the length, cleaned it up and modified the bangs (I have a cowlick, too). He's cheaper than the guys in LA, but still expensive, for me anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    thanks, guys. it worked out great and i'll definitely be going back to this guy. he styles hair for fashion editorials and runway shows, and the rest of the time he cuts and colours hair out of his apartment in williamsburg and charges less than half what the same services would have cost in a regular new york salon (prices are beyond ridiculous for hair here, and i lived in geneva before and was used to paying 250 dollars for a cut and highlights).
    the cut is basically the cut from the first picture but adapted for longer hair and the side 'bangs' are longer, the shortest bits are just above my chin.
    Nice! I also go to a salon in Williamsburg that charges half or less than overhyped and rent-reamed Manhattan salons and am very pleased. If your guy ever disappears on you, I recommend Elma.
    Posted from my fucking iPhone

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information