Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Drugstore shampoos damaging?

Default Drugstore shampoos damaging?

I just went to my hairstylist and got a really cute above shoulder haircut with layers. I knew I needed it because I noticed my hair getting dry and I couldn't run my fingers through without getting caught in knots. So my hairstylist said that my hair was very dry. She said, "Whatever you're using or doing...just stop. What shampoo do you use." I shyly admitted, "Herbal Essence sometimes since I ran out of Paul Mitchell.. (cough, cough)"

She said, "Yeah, that stuff's bad. Don't believe the ads. Use only salon products." So ofcourse I walked out of the salon with a $15 shampoo and $15 conditioner by Enjoy. I had never heard of that brand but the sylists swore it was good and moisturizing. So I wondered, were they just trying to sell me products or is it really true that drugstore products are damaging. I understand Herbal Essence may be somewhat harsh but is it really BAD,BAD, BAD for hair? I haven't washed my hair since Sunday now because I'm hoping I just need to get some of my natural hair oil to make it healthier and get less exposure to blowdryers/ flat irons.

I just want healthy hair that doesn't crack off from dryness. Is salon shampoo really the key?

Default Re: Drugstore shampoos damaging?

Hi Saima,

I used to be one who believed the salon brands were all gimmicks and that you got the same quality/results from the cheaper, drugstore brands.

NOW, I believe that like everything else, you get what you pay for. I have noticed a dramatic difference in my hair (over time, not immediately) from switching from drugstore to professional.

I first went to a professional salon a few years back, and my hair was so tangled after washing that it took my stylist forever to comb the rats nest out. Lots of split ends, breakage, more sun damage, etc. I continued to use the cheap stuff not believing her that the more $$ was better.

After awhile I started purchasing professional brands - Goldwell, Aveda, Redken, and now Bumble & Bumble are my favorites. There is a huge difference in my hair now! It combs out easily when wet, I have less split ends and breakage, more shine, pretty when blowdrying/straightening.

So take it from my experience and advice - spend a little extra money to get the professional products, it's well worth it!
    "Never wrap it up, never pull out. Just grind up the morning after pill in her scrambled eggs at sunrise, she'll appreciate that you made her breakfast."

I think it depends on what you use. Some expensive products work better than drugstore brands, but some others don't. I think Biosilk is terrible, but it's considered a salon brand.

I have fine hair, so anything that is sulfate free works best for me.

A*O

My hairdresser went mental when I told him I used Pantene. It's full of silicon apparently which makes your hair look shiny and sleek for sure but also coats it in gloop which isn't any good for fine hair like mine. He more or less forced me to buy Aveda products (their Mint & Rosemary Shampoo/Cond for fine hair) and it's great, although more expensive natch. I didn't think it really made a difference until I used some cheapo shampoo one day and my hair instantly felt like I'd nuked it - fried and full of tangles. So yes, I'd say it does make a difference.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

I hate Herbal Essences (but ofc I love the smell...), it's the only shampoo that has ever done my scalpe feel all itchy and irritated.
    k-bubbles

I was using Pantene for a long time until I noticed it was making my hair all gloppy and lank. I switched to a different brand and immediately noticed improvement. Right now I use Aussie brand products, and I am pretty happy with them. I'm sure the salon brand shampoo and conditioner is better, but I would rather spend my money on other things, like makeup.

pretending to be a lurker but I'm not quiet enough

I've also heard from a salon stylist how bad Panteen is.
    I still use it occasionally, I like how it smells.

My hair is really tough and can take a lot of abuse, hair dye, perm, styling products etc (though I don't use a blowdryer or curling iron etc cuz I'm too lazy, I have semi-wavy hair so I can just handstyle it with some gel or mouse).
    I'm ok with most drugstore shampoos. I was using Herbal Essence b4 and now am using Dove. My mom's a hairdresser so she's given me some salon products but I don't think they are any better or I just don't care for them all that much. But if your hair is really damaged, you need specific products like deep conditioners/treatments, those I believe are superior to drugstore brands. And if you colour or perm you hair, salon dyes and perm solutions are more technologically/chemically advanced IMO.

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

I use Pantene religiously, it does have a lot of 'cone products (primarily dimethicone) and will build up on hair, effectively sealing OUT moisture over time. To combat this I simply mix about 1/4 cup vinegar with a gallon of water and rinse my hair with it. I do that about once every two weeks.

I think that you can use drugstore shampoos but for best results on your hair you have to do a bit of research and experimentation to find out what ingredients your hair responds well to and how to counteract any buildup that might ensue.

Also saimamom, I believe that Herbal Essences has 'cone products as well - so that could account for the tangles. You might want to try a vinegar rinse to help remove some of the buildup before you start conditioning with the expensive stuff.

Viva la Pantene!!

Zee

Most shampoos, drug store or commercial are often made using the same surfactants. I like to use shampoos made with sodium laureth sulfate. Most of the other surfactants are too drying for my hair.

The difference is usually with the speciality chemicals added such as proteins and vitamins for damaged hair. My hair is straight, fine and undamaged so, I get away with buying at the drugstore.
    Drive a car, drive a boat, drive a plane. What does it matter? As long as I'm drunk!
    pəʇɐɔɐɯnpə ɹ ı

pretending to be a lurker but I'm not quiet enough

Quote Originally Posted by cloud
    I use Pantene religiously, it does have a lot of 'cone products (primarily dimethicone) and will build up on hair, effectively sealing OUT moisture over time. To combat this I simply mix about 1/4 cup vinegar with a gallon of water and rinse my hair with it. I do that about once every two weeks.

I think that you can use drugstore shampoos but for best results on your hair you have to do a bit of research and experimentation to find out what ingredients your hair responds well to and how to counteract any buildup that might ensue.

Also saimamom, I believe that Herbal Essences has 'cone products as well - so that could account for the tangles. You might want to try a vinegar rinse to help remove some of the buildup before you start conditioning with the expensive stuff.

Viva la Pantene!!
    I saw a lady do this on TV, she apparently had a very sensitive scalp. So she'd wash her head and hair with a very mild soap instead of shampoo and then rinse with vinegar afterwards.

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

Quote Originally Posted by moomies
    I saw a lady do this on TV, she apparently had a very sensitive scalp. So she'd wash her head and hair with a very mild soap instead of shampoo and then rinse with vinegar afterwards.
    I swear by vinegar - it's unbelievable! I've read that it does something to restore the Ph of your hair as well. I don't understand the chemistry behind it, but my hair looks and feels amazing after a rinse. If I mix it too strong my scalp can be a bit irritated - so if anyone decides to try it, I would dilute it very well first, you can always up the amount of vinegar the second time around if your scalp responds well.

I just got a deal on some Matrix shampoo and conditioner at a salon, so that's what I'm using now. Previously I used a "higher end" drugstore brand recommended by a stylist friend (forget the name, it's in a purple bottle, but not Aussie, it isn't available everywhere). The one thing I've heard consistently from stylists across the board is not to use Pantene for any reason. It is the worst of all the drugstore brands for your hair.

Lil

Another salon shampoo user here. I have fine hair that gets really limp if I use anything that builds up - I now stick to Aveda, and my current favourite is Pure Abundance. I buy the one litre salon size with the pump dispenser and you don't need much so it lasts ages, and probably doesn't work out much more expensive.
    A big boy did it and ran away.

Do I see a trend here that those with fine hair require salon shampoo. Whereas those with thicker hair are fine without??? hhmmmmm......

Quote Originally Posted by mtlebay
    Do I see a trend here that those with fine hair require salon shampoo. Whereas those with thicker hair are fine without??? hhmmmmm......
    Mine's fine and I use Pantene daily. But I think the 'cones would definitely show buildup faster on fine hair if I didn't do something to battle them.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information