Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Good eyebrow powders?

Default Good eyebrow powders?

I've always had fairly thick brows and just kept them shaped up, but I've noticed in the past few years they seem lighter and maybe a little bit thinner. Age, I guess. Anyone got a good rec for an eyebrow powder brand? I thought that would probably look more natural than pencil - and I want it to look natural and not obvious.
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

i think it's natural that brows thin a bit with age but just in case, you should check your thyroid. every single woman i know with thyroid issues, noticed that as soon as they were diagnosed and being treated (hypo or hyper, both) their eyebrows grew back and got thicker. in a lot of cases they hadn't even noticed that they'd thinned, or it had happened so gradually they assumed it was age.

eta: sorry, don't know any powders. i have a pencil that's the exact colour of my brows that i use in summer when some of my eyebrow hairs get lighter from the sun, just to sort of fill them in. i use the pencil and then i have an eyebrow brush and i use that to sort of smudge the pencil so it looks more natural.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

I'm not opposed to a pencil, I just figured it'd be a trick to do it convincingly. I'm concerned I'll give myself Joan Crawford brows.

Last edited by Laurent; June 13th, 2013 at 01:06 PM.

brow powder is usually just matte eyeshadow repackaged. if you have any of those around you can give it a go and see how you like it before going to buy a product.
    Laurent likes this.
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

i think the trick is just to get one that is the exact same colour as your brows, and to smudge. and to use it sparingly. i actually find that pencil, if applied correctly, looks more natural than powders that always have a kind of dusty look to them.

eta: witch is right, it should be a bit lighter but it does need to be the same tone. in my case, i have dark ash blonde hair. my brows are basically the same colour as my hair, maybe a bit darker. but an ashy dark blonde/light brown. most eyebrow pencils in blonde tones tend to be yellow. it took me a while to track down my shiseido ashe blonde one. i think estée lauder makes one too. and yeah, it's actually a bit lighter but the same tone. what you want is to fill in, not darken your brows. you should go to a department store and have them try some pencils on you and see if you like it.
    Laurent likes this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

I have kinda light to medium brown hair and looking around online the shades labeled that look really dark. Might just be my screen, so I'll go check them out in person, but I guess I'll have to eyeball the shade instead of going by what they're calling brown.
    Last edited by Laurent; June 13th, 2013 at 01:06 PM.

yeah definitely. don't be surprised if you end up getting a pencil that's on the dark end of the blonde ones. since you just need it to fill in the space between hairs, not draw on brows.

I just mentally went through my make-up to see if I have any matte shadows in a close shade, but I think all of mine have a little sheen in them. I have an ashy taupe shade that would be perfect, but it's got the teeniest bit of luster. Not enough to notice on lids, but it would look weird on brows, I think.

A lot of these shades I'm looking at seem to be really warm and I'm a cool undertone, so I'll check out the Estee Lauder and Shiseido ones and see if they can work on me too. I hate how companies forget that not everyone looks healthy in shit called light golden.
    sputnik likes this.

the shiseido one i have is called natural eyebrow pencil in ash blonde. i can't remember what the estée lauder one was called but probably the same. i like it a lot. the only negative is that the brush that comes with it is kind of useful and i get better results when i use my regular eyebrow brush on it, it's got stiffer bristles.
    from what i saw online, the shiseido 'light brown' pencil appears to be pretty cool toned and it's basically the same as the ash blonde but a bit darker.

ash blonde:

Laurent likes this.

Okay, I'd definitely need something in the blonde family, then, because my brows are about that shade - definitely not any darker. So glad you said that, because I don't think it would've occured to me to shop blonde for myself. I like the way it's making those brows look, too - defined, but not overdone and obnoxious.

re: the brush that comes with it, i meant 'useless' rather than 'useful'. i'm sleepy.

and yes, definitely in the blonde family. i find the dark pencils tend to be very very dark and very easily veer into chola brow territory.
    Laurent likes this.

Silver Member

I used to like Clinique's Brow Shaper Clinique Brow Shaper: Brows | Sephora

Unfortunately, this product is now not available in my country so I've moved on to Clinique's Superfine Liner for Brow Clinique Superfine Liner for Brows: Brows | Sephora. I'll just "feather" it on then use a brow brush to blend it out if needed.

They are both very natural looking.
    Laurent likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    i think it's natural that brows thin a bit with age but just in case, you should check your thyroid. every single woman i know with thyroid issues, noticed that as soon as they were diagnosed and being treated (hypo or hyper, both) their eyebrows grew back and got thicker. in a lot of cases they hadn't even noticed that they'd thinned, or it had happened so gradually they assumed it was age.
    Dude, now that you say it... I've been having brow issues lately, which is why I have started to research how to fill them in properly. Yay, that means they will grow back, because I'm on thyroid hormones now.

Anyhow, nowadays when you research brow tutorials, there's no way not to stumble across Cara Delevigne and her look and the products she uses. She uses Anastasia brow gel on top of the powder, btw.

I found this helpful, even if you don't want thick brows like hers:

Laurent likes this.
    Hello mother fucker! when you ask a question read also the answer instead of asking another question on an answer who already contain the answer of your next question!
    -Bugdoll-

^^^
    i love her brows. I have pretty fat brows myself but definitely not that dark.

Hers aren't as dark and fat when she isn't wearing any makeup. She's just really good at grooming and styling them.
    sputnik likes this.
    Hello mother fucker! when you ask a question read also the answer instead of asking another question on an answer who already contain the answer of your next question!
    -Bugdoll-

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information