Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By BITTER
  • 3 Post By Air Quotes
  • 1 Post By sputnik

Thread: Combination Skin

Default Combination Skin

So, my skin has become so awful lately.. It used to just be oily and I knew what worked best for me.. But now it's oily in places and then absolutely dry and flaky in other spots.. And in some places, like my T-zone, it's oily AND flaky!! WTF?!

do any of you here have combo skin like this? if so, what facial cleansers and moisturizers do you use? I'm pretty sure mine has to do with hormones too.. I'm 34 and I still get the occasional breakout.. But it isn't like a little pimple.. Sometimes it will be those painful ones that can last a couple of days..

Any suggestions or recommendations for skincare that I can look into? I would prefer something that isn't TOO expensive too.. It's just frustrating.. I've been using Origins Checks & Balances and the lightweight moisturizer that goes with it.. And it seemed to work great but lately, it hasn't done as well as it was doing..

My skin is also sensitive so anything that has scrubbing beads in it will only cause irritation and breakouts.. I'm just so frustrated over it now.

Go see a dermotologist. You might be using everything wrong. You really need a pro to look at your skin.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

I have it...nose and forehead are quite oily, especially in warm weather. I gave up on all the "special" creams and soaps and just use soap and water now. And I use an astringent every now and then. And I moisturize in the wintertime, especially in my beard area...
    Waterslide likes this.
    Good luck getting a cat to do anything let alone join in on your sexcapades. - Air Quotes

^This. I do exactly what Bitter does aside from my beard, I pluck it.
    BITTER, greysfang and Novice like this.
    "A true whore just loves her life." - Sluce

Bronze Member

Maybe the products you are using are drying out your skin - what kind of cleanser are you using? It might be worth switching to a non-detergent, ph-balanced cleanser (a cleansing milk type cleanser like the Juice beauty one is a good example).

It is totally hormones. You're going through a phase where skin changes. Hate to break it to you but it'll change again but with the right skincare and nutrition you can change it back on track.
    I would not only try to find the new skincare products that work for you, knowing what to put where that works but look also in what you eat and drink.
    I found cutting out dairy and adding omegas greatly helped my ever-changing skin.

Quote Originally Posted by AquariusMoon View Post
    So, my skin has become so awful lately.. It used to just be oily and I knew what worked best for me.. But now it's oily in places and then absolutely dry and flaky in other spots.. And in some places, like my T-zone, it's oily AND flaky!! WTF?!

do any of you here have combo skin like this? if so, what facial cleansers and moisturizers do you use? I'm pretty sure mine has to do with hormones too.. I'm 34 and I still get the occasional breakout.. But it isn't like a little pimple.. Sometimes it will be those painful ones that can last a couple of days..

Any suggestions or recommendations for skincare that I can look into? I would prefer something that isn't TOO expensive too.. It's just frustrating.. I've been using Origins Checks & Balances and the lightweight moisturizer that goes with it.. And it seemed to work great but lately, it hasn't done as well as it was doing..

My skin is also sensitive so anything that has scrubbing beads in it will only cause irritation and breakouts.. I'm just so frustrated over it now.
    stop using origins. i bought one of their moisturisers when i was in san francisco because i couldn't find mine anywhere (i loved that city but i went everywhere and couldn't find a single department store that carried avène, and also, it's almost impossible to find seltzer! but i digress). it was awful. all their products have perfume/scent in them, which only irritates my skin and i just hated it. the girl also gave me a bunch of samples and there wasn't a single one i liked. stay aways from anything scented, which includes most high-end department store brands - chanel, lancôme, estée lauder, etc.

i have super sensitive, combination skin and one of the most common misconceptions people have about oily or combination skin is that they should be using astringents on them, or very light moisturisers that aren't hydrating enough. it's really the opposite, oily skin actually needs a LOT of hydration, just not hydration that clogs your pores or causes more oil.
    my dermatologist recommended eau thermale avène products and it's been over 10 years now and i swear by them. for an everyday moisturiser, try the 'hydrance optimale légère' (or light). that's my go-to. and then in summer or if i'm going to be outdoors a lot, i use their hydrating mattifying fluid followed by the tinted spf 50 sunscreen. they make an hydrance optimale with spf25 but i don't like it that much and i much prefer the matifying fluid + spf 50 combo.

hydrance optimale light:

matifying fluid moisturiser:

spf:

Novice likes this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Excellent review. I used something from Avene quite a few years ago, finished it but didn't stick with it. It was a nice product.

My first time to France I did the usual American girl stocking up on Vichy and stuff at Gallerie Lafayette. Vichy and Christian Dior skincare was the bomb those million years ago. I just don't think Vichy feels the same.

REN makes an excellent cleanser for this type of skin. Face Cleanser - REN Mayblossom and Blue Cypress Cleansing Gel - Combination skin I like this lotion: http://www.dermstore.com/product_Tol...+Fluid_677.htm
    Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    stop using origins. i bought one of their moisturisers when i was in san francisco because i couldn't find mine anywhere (i loved that city but i went everywhere and couldn't find a single department store that carried avène, and also, it's almost impossible to find seltzer! but i digress). it was awful. all their products have perfume/scent in them, which only irritates my skin and i just hated it. the girl also gave me a bunch of samples and there wasn't a single one i liked. stay aways from anything scented, which includes most high-end department store brands - chanel, lancôme, estée lauder, etc.

It is hard to find here! We have it though, in the drugstores! And the selection can be limited.

My skin is oily and super sensitive, too. Sput, I will try those Avene products. I still haven't found the answer to all of my skin problems. All I know is stay away from scents, as Sput says. I just have to smell a product to know which ones won't work for me. Even natural scents are not good for my skin.

That includes all major brands, even Clinique, La Roche-Posay and all the ones marketing themselves as organic or natural.
    Hello mother fucker! when you ask a question read also the answer instead of asking another question on an answer who already contain the answer of your next question!
    -Bugdoll-

chilly, i can't put anything scented on my face. even natural scents. i wear perfume but even that i wear little of and i have to test it on the inside of my wrist before buying because I've had reactions to some. La Roche posay usted to be ok and then it was sold and I swear their products changed overnight and my skin started reacting to it.
    I've had decent luck with biotherm and Vichy as well but so far avène wins. they also have a blue cleanser that says its for sensitive acne prone skin but it's the one I use daily even if I'm not acne prone.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Thread Information