Thread: Flat Hair

Default Flat Hair

So,

I have thick hair, but lately it hasn't looked it at all.

When I wash it, no matter how careful I am, it tangles so badly that I end up having to put a good amount of conditioner in it. However, that leaves my hair flat and lifeless.

Any tips? I'm using a volumizing shampoo, and a root booster but nothing is really helping. If I use a teeny amount of conditioner, my hair is fine but I have to rip through it when combing it out.
    "Cake is the language of love" - Dylan Moran

I would back away from volumizer if it's tangling that badly - go with something a little 'easier' on the hair to see if it helps.

Only put the conditioner on the ends,not around the scalp. See if that helps.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

agree with conditioner only on the ends.

also, what's your cut like? sometimes, all it takes is a well constructed cut with some layers (which can be 'hidden' so it doesn't even look like a layered cut, but you need a good hairdresser for that), and your hair will have volume and stop tangling so much.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Also,do you dry your hair with it down over your face for a bit? That helps.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Always start at the ends of your hair with a wide toothed combd and gradually work your way up to the top.
    "A true whore just loves her life." - Sluce

Try a clarifying shampoo for a little while. You may have a bunch of gunky build up that needs to come off. I have also used baking soda mixed with shampoo as a clarifyer in a pinch.

"A massive penis means never having to say you're sorry". Mo

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    agree with conditioner only on the ends.

also, what's your cut like? sometimes, all it takes is a well constructed cut with some layers (which can be 'hidden' so it doesn't even look like a layered cut, but you need a good hairdresser for that), and your hair will have volume and stop tangling so much.
    agreed. 90% of good hair is the cut.
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

You need a trim and some layers, the at home ponytail hair cut just may work for you, take off one inch ONLY.

Condition only the ends. Do a detox/clarifying of your scalp. Even volumizing products can weigh hair down in a shitty climate.

AND be nice to your hair when combing out, pat (not rub) dry with a towel, use a small amount of leave in on the ends and work from the bottom up.

Also, try not washing your hair everyday but be very careful about dry shampoos, go with a powder and not an aerosol if you use one.
    Posted from my iPhone
    KILLING ME WON'T BRING BACK YOUR GOD DAMNED HONEY!!!!!!!!!!

Come on, let's have lots of drinks.

Fuck you all, I'm going viral.

Thanks for all of the help. My hair is all one length and almost to my bra strap. I've always been afraid of layers but maybe I should look into it.

I can't just condition the ends because I won't be able to get a comb through the top. I wash my hair very gently and don't wrap it up in a towel. I tried the baking soda clarifying rinse, but still having the same problem.
    "Cake is the language of love" - Dylan Moran

Agree with everyone's suggestions, definitely get some layers cut in (hidden ones if you can find the right stylist) and changing your conditioner.

Like said above, condition only the ends, or at least not at the very root. Then I comb the conditioner through my hair with a wide tooth comb from the ends up. By then you've got conditioner on your comb and you can comb the roots and they'll still get a little conditioner without being weighed down.
    "AND WHEN YOU BECAME DENISE, I TOLD ALL YOUR COLLEAGUES, THOSE CLOWN COMICS, TO FIX THEIR HEARTS OR DIE."

Definitely give a clarifying shampoo a try, silicone build up can really leave hair weighed down and lifeless.
    Who lit the fuse on your tampon?

I grew out a lot of my layers after I had my baby. I didn't want to fuss with my hair, so I got a good cut and let it grow. My hair is long and almost one length and it's getting really flat on top. I stay home, so 90% of the time my hair is up in a ponytail. I know the reason for my flat hair is the weight. I'm getting it cut this week and I'm excited. I have a ton of hair, but it's fine and wavy so it looks really thick, but it gets really tangled if I don't use a good leave in spray. I use Rene Furterer Okara spray. It's expensive, but worth it. I also use a small amount of volumizing mousse at the roots.

Thread Information