Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Teeth whitening trick

Default Teeth whitening trick

I read this in a magazine. It seems really fruity and I was wondering if anyone has ever tried this or would want to try it. It was a tip from a Venezuelan, so apparently it's something Venezuelans do. You burn a tortilla and mix the ash with toothpaste and supposedly it whitens your teeth. Just wondering if anyone heard of this and has ever tried it.

Default Re: Teeth whitening trick

I've never heard of doing that before, but tortilla ash (or any wood ash) would be a source of potassium hydroxide (also known as lye) which is a bleaching agent and I suppose would whiten teeth. What effect this would have on your tooth enamel or gums over time, I have no idea. I cringe at the thought. If nothing else, that has got to taste disgusting.

"The howling backwoods that is IMDB is where film criticism goes to die (and then have its corpse gang-raped, called a racist, and accused of supporting Al-Qaeda)" ----Sean O'Neal, The Onion AV Club

Bronze Member

I can't understand this clearly

Let me explain.

Teeth are the hard white or off white things in your mouth that are used to gring food into smaller pieces so you don't choke when you swallow. Sometimes teeth get stained due to the consumption of tea or coffee or due to smoking. Some people, unhappy with the appearance of their teeth, will then undertake any number of bleaching procedures to restore a whiter colour.

i hope this helps.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

I use baking soda but not too often (gums don't like it) and try to avoid food/drinks that'd stain.
    My teeth are ridiculously white now that my skin is summer-gold instead of winter-porcelain.

^Baking soda mixed into a paste with hydrogen peroxide and applied with bleaching trays for 15 minutes works best for me. Kills the microflora below the gum line too so gum disease is improved or is taken out before it starts. This is my dentist's preferred whitening and home gum disease preventative and remedy.

I also like activated charcoal and oil pulling with coconut oil (2 separate methods). Both are great for mouth health too. I don't want to put chemicals into my mouth. I'm exposed to enough chemicals just by living.

I don't do all of them at the same time. I go through phases but these cheap and easy methods have keep my teeth white and previously diseased gums healthy.
    Why do people say, "Grow some balls?" Balls are weak and sensitive. If you really want to get tough, grow a vagina. Those things take a pounding! ~ Betty White

^My teeth are so very very yellow, I've wanted to try baking soda + hydrogen peroxide but I've been afraid it'd damage my enamel. It doesn't damage it any?

Not at all. I use it once or twice a week max primarily for gum health but the whitening is a nice side effect. It's in mouth tray so I'm only brushing my teeth with the stuff briefly after I remove the trays and rinse my mouth.
    Brah likes this.
    Why do people say, "Grow some balls?" Balls are weak and sensitive. If you really want to get tough, grow a vagina. Those things take a pounding! ~ Betty White

Ugh, that saves my life then! Now I don't need to sacrifice my 5 cups of coffee a day.

Try the activated charcoal capsules. You put one in your mouth while in the shower and let dissolve. Switch the charcoal around your mouth for a few minutes, brush your teeth with it, then swish some more before spitting into the shower drain. The charcoal pulls the tannins off your teeth for a whiter smile. Cheap and easy.
    Brah likes this.

^Oooooh that sounds perfect! I'm ordering some ASAP.

That doesn't sound remotely plausible. Charcoal pulling tannins? How could that even work?
    Air Quotes likes this.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

I don't know the science behind it. I do know it works from personal experience. Lots of info on web about it on holistic health sites.

Hit By Ban Bus!

I heard a trick that use banana outer cover and rub your teeth with inner side if that peal. It will give good result and visible white teeth

Have any of you tried that thing with coconut oil? It's kind of the same thing than the charcoal thing, and it also makes me wonder how can oil whiten your teeth?
    Fluctuat nec mergitur
    Paris, Nov 13th

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information