Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone had a perm since the late '80s?

Default Has anyone had a perm since the late '80s?

I have fine, thin (but healthy) collarbone-length hair, but it's stick straight. I love the waves and body that you see on Kate Beckinsale's extensions. I can achieve that look by sleeping in curlers, but how convenient is that?

I've heard there are new perms out there that are less damaging and less long-lasting--meaning they wash out before you get straight roots. I think ISO is a salon brand that's often mentioned.

Has anyone had a perm lately? What was the outcome? I really want a new summer look, but I remember the disaster of a perm that turned into my seventh grade afro... That was the worst style of my life.

pretending to be a lurker but I'm not quiet enough

Default Re: Has anyone had a perm since the late '80s?

I've done body wave. I even do it at home myself (but mind you my mom's a hairdresser so I might have some hairdressing blood in me )

So the way I do it, you use the biggest/thickest rods you can find, try and put your hair around them vertically. My hair retains perm really good (it lasts me a year almost) and its is so tough that it can take a lot of abuse so I never had to deal with damage from perming. Well once I actually did but that's cuz I had some bleached blonde highlights and then went for a tighter perm at a salon.
    I use the over the counter perming kit for fine hair (though my hair isn't fine it's actually coarse, but just to minimize the damage) and my hair turns out fine.

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

I had the worst experience with a body wave perm about two years ago. My hairdresser was a moron; she told me it would be perfectly fine to perm my highlighted hair. Big mistake! My hair literally broke off. I had to come back two days later and have her put in a deep conditioning treatment. I couldn't even bussh through it prior to that. I ended up having to have my hair cut about 4 inches and colored brunette to conceal some of the damage.

I hate having fine, flat hair, but I would never attempt to have a body eave done again. It's just too iffy, and I wouldn't want to spend another two years growing it back out.

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

I'm all for bringing back the poodle perm.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Bronze Member

Just prior to starting my freshman year in college, I decided to get a perm because I wanted really long ringlets. What I ended up with was a tighter than hell popcorn/poodle perm. My hair was so long. Afterwards, it barely touched my shoulders because the curls were so freakin' tight. I cried so much, my mom got a box of Toni home permanent, put the solution in my hair and combed that sh*t perm right out. And I ended up with long, flowing, ringlets.

I suggest you buy a steam roller set. They give hair lots of volume. Also, even though my hair is long, I have clip in human hair extensions that I wear when I go out. I steam roll them along with my real hair, and the results are great.

Quote Originally Posted by buttmunch
    I'm all for bringing back the poodle perm.
    Gotta say, I had many of those myself. The bigger the better.
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

Silver Member

My mom recently got one.
    She looked like Nacho Libre. I took her to my stylist, he fixed it and she looks 15yrs younger.
    http://dorkdejour.blogspot.com Just Pimpin my Podcast!!

pretending to be a lurker but I'm not quiet enough

She looked like Nacho Libre.
    I'm sorry but it's so funny and cute at the same time. I love Jack Black.

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

My brother's girlfriend has this really thin straight hair and she made large waves that give her a beach sunny look that looks perfect without drying out or breaking her hair. Made me want to get one!
    Products are much softer now and I would say that if you take a few precautions you should have no problems. Just do it in a place where you know they use good products or where you know someone that has done that kind of work and achieved good resuls.
    k-bubbles

don't do it. I have fine,fragile, thinning hair and was told a perm would work "wonders". Well it was hair holocaust! it's been at least 2 years and it is STILL not recovered. I'm talking breaking, frying, tangling, HORRIBLE TRAUMA! buy hot sticks, or curlers, or solar rollers (those work awesome btw)... anything but do NOT perm it!

i was thinking about doing this as well. i can NOT get my hair to hold a curl. i just want some friggen waves...i tried the wrapping around the curling iron thing and it just doesn't work, after i do it, it looks like i stuck my finger in a electrical socket. i suppose i'll be doomed with flat straight hair forever.

I swear to god my hair is STILL damaged from all the perms I got in the 80's...oy! And the hairspray and the teasing....so very wrong.

I had perm about 3 years ago. I thought it would be more delicate and subtle, that's what I told the hairdresser - to make my hair only slightly wavy and natural looking. Didn't quite achieve it - they looked very perm-like, I had to use sticky stuff to avoid frizziness, which made my hair look really unnatural. my hair also looked fried, especially around the face, where they are thinner (my hair is in general rather thin). In one word, it wasnt pretty. I said to myself that I will never get a perm again... but now I am thinking I would if there was some better method. I hate how fine and flat my hair is.
    now I use conair hot rollers and they give me some volume, but it is time consuming to put them on, damn.
    There are only two tragedies in life: one is not getting what one wants, and the other is getting it.
    Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by Daphne
    I had the worst experience with a body wave perm about two years ago. My hairdresser was a moron; she told me it would be perfectly fine to perm my highlighted hair. Big mistake! My hair literally broke off. I had to come back two days later and have her put in a deep conditioning treatment. I couldn't even bussh through it prior to that. I ended up having to have my hair cut about 4 inches and colored brunette to conceal some of the damage.

I hate having fine, flat hair, but I would never attempt to have a body eave done again. It's just too iffy, and I wouldn't want to spend another two years growing it back out.

Exact same thing happened to me

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information