Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Novice
  • 1 Post By louiswinthorpe111

Thread: Get the Marilyn Monroe look with celebrity make-up artist Lisa Eldridge's tutorial

Default Get the Marilyn Monroe look with celebrity make-up artist Lisa Eldridge's tutorial

Beneath the makeup and behind the smile I am just a girl who wishes for the world' Get the Marilyn Monroe look with celebrity make-up artist Lisa Eldridge's tutorial

By Bianca London
    PUBLISHED: 11:52, 7 August 2012 | UPDATED: 13:19, 7 August 2012

From the ruby red lips to the famous beauty mark, as we mark the 50th anniversary of her death, the legend of Marilyn Monroe lives on, more vibrantly than ever and her glamorous 1950s pin-up look is what everyone wants to channel.
    From the full red lips to the signature beauty mark, Marilyn Monroe's look has become iconic over the years

According to celebrity makeup artist Lisa Elridge, who has worked with the likes of Kate Moss and Cameron Diaz, this year will be a celebration of the iconic 50s beauty.
    And she shows FEMAIL just how to achieve the look.

Lisa’s film, depicting how to get the look was released one week ago and has already become a runaway hit on You Tube with views soaring.

Shot in a documentary style, it covers the relationship between Marilyn and her Make-up Artist (and good friend) Allan ‘Whitey’ Snyder.

From her first screen test in 1945 up until her death in 1962, Whitey was there by her side for all her big movies and photographic shoots - helping to create her iconic look.
    Although Marilyn had many looks throughout her career, for example her off-set look was very natural, Lisa has created an illustrative version of the full-on look she wore for her most glamorous poster shoots and film roles from around 1953 until the end of the 50’s.

More...

Make-up artists from that era often talk about the challenges they faced.
    Issues like Technicolor Film, Cinemascope lenses and the extremely bright, hot lights that were needed back then played havoc with the make-up, changing colours and flattening faces. Often weeks of make-up tests were needed before a big movie to get the look right.
    Scroll down for video

The signature look was recreated on Michelle Williams for the 2011 film My Week with Marilyn

All a million miles away from today’s era of hyper-real Digital and High Definition.
    Lisa said: 'Although its very difficult to get all the exact details as her make-up artist never betrayed her secrets, it's fun to talk about the different tricks and details of Marilyn's look.

'In this video Marilyn had lots of different looks and was pretty natural off camera but this video concentrates on the very glamorous look she had for her movies and poster shoots from 1953 through to the end of the 50's. Lots of the tricks were geared towards the lighting, film and cameras of the time... Hope you enjoy it!
    Waterslide likes this.
    Free Charmed.

Very good! That was a ton of lipstick.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

I would never think of drawing a shadow of my lashes under the eye. Although it would be good for film and photos, but I don't think this is a practical look for real life.
    MsChiff likes this.
    RELIGION: Treat it like it's your genitalia. Don't show it off in public, and don't shove it down your children's throats.

^lol I agree

That under-eye shadow trick is something else! I never would have thought.
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

Really interesting! She wore such a lot of makeup, bit too much to be practical for real life.
    I smile because I have no idea what's going on

Quote Originally Posted by louiswinthorpe111 View Post
    I would never think of drawing a shadow of my lashes under the eye. Although it would be good for film and photos, but I don't think this is a practical look for real life.
    I've used this method, although way more subtle. I use a grey or a brown pencil and smudge it. It's no less practical than any other method of lining the eyes, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Jezi View Post
    I've used this method, although way more subtle. I use a grey or a brown pencil and smudge it. It's no less practical than any other method of lining the eyes, I think.
    Yes, I do it too. I try to make it subtle with a brown pencil, and it usually isn't obvious but does make a niece difference I think. I used to draw photos of Old Hollywood sex symbols as homework for an art class and learned a bit about their makeup tricks from studying their photos, that was one of them.

That's a fascinating video. I love Lisa Eldridge. All her vids are great. I've actually learned a lot from her, and she seems like a sweetie. She explains things well and I applaud her showing her own face without makeup--even hungover or sick lol--in many of her tutorials.
    Did you know that every time a parent gives in to their kid's whines and buys them candy at the checkout lane, a kitten gets diabetes?-Dlisted
    I dislike groups of people, but I love individuals. Every person you look at, you can see the universe in their eyes, if you're really looking.
    -George Carlin

Thread Information