Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Mel1973

Thread: DIY Facial?

Silver Member

Default DIY Facial?

Do any of you do your own facials? I'm looking for a how to guide on the process and products I should use. I can no longer afford regular facials and it's been too long. I need the works - extractions and all. Wouldn't want to steam and extract only to follow up with the wrong product on my face or end up with hyperpigmentation.

Any pointers?
    I'm a motherfucker and sell candles

I am in the same boat, no longer have time. I find this helps: use cleansing cream on face, circular motion. wash face in warm water, but rinse very well. Then, there are lots of masks you can find at the drug store. I only use those for sensitive skin, just in case.
    Olay has a great one, regenerist thermal skin polishing.
    Olay Regenerist Peel - Try Olay Regenerist Thermal Mini

It warms up & feels heavenly on. You have to use it 10 days to see a result, but I really like it. It brightens skin tone & my skin looks great. CVS has it.
    While you there, look for the Queen Helene things. They are cheap, but good. See if the mint or mud mask will work for you.
    As far as cold cream (to use first) just get the cheapest kind. They are all about the same,IMO.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Quote Originally Posted by sultryred View Post
    Do any of you do your own facials? I'm looking for a how to guide on the process and products I should use. I can no longer afford regular facials and it's been too long. I need the works - extractions and all. Wouldn't want to steam and extract only to follow up with the wrong product on my face or end up with hyperpigmentation.

Any pointers?
    I hear this book has some excellent recipes...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jezi View Post
    sluce likes this.
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(_)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

stop it, mel! i'm sick with stomach flu & you aren't making me feel any better!

anyway, i've been wondering about this same subject, so i'mma camp out in this thread and get some ideas. facials are freaking expensive, so if i can do it well myself, i'd like to.
    white, black, puerto rican/everybody just a freakin'/good times were rollin'.

I do my own facials all the time.

First things first, get the right tools. I use Tweezerman's "skin care tool." It's a metal thingie for extractions. Some people prefer to use their hands, but I prefer the tool.

Here are some general steps to take. Adjust as desired:

Steam your face. Either tent over a bowl of steaming water (to which you can add herbs or essential oils), or take a nice hot shower.

Exfoliate. You can use a prepared product (Lancome's microdermabrasion is FANTASTIC, or you can use a baking soda paste (with or without a drop of lavender essential oil). You can do this in the shower, too.

Extractions. If using the tool, be careful to not "dig" into your skin. You *can* damage yourself with this thing, so be gentle. It's great for getting at those creases on the side of your nose, or in the chin area. I use a magnified mirror for this. I do extractions after a shower about once a week...sometimes there's no need/time for a full-on facial.

Mask. Again, you can use a prepared treatment (many spas sell nice masks or you can check around on Sephora for your skin type). I have used dead sea mud and made my own mixture with essential oils. New Directions Aromatics is a fantastic company for supplies, great prices, and high quality, authentic ingredients. They are Canadian and shipping can be expensive, but it is so worth it. They sell all kinds of muds and oils. If that's not your thing, use whipped egg whites. If your skin is super dry, use olive oil or coconut oil and let sit for a few minutes and tissue off.

After the mask, follow up with a treatment product targeted for whatever skin issues you may be having, or toner. You can use witch hazel for a low-cost option.

Then I apply a nice eye cream and face cream. I am partial to Clarins products, but your mileage may vary. I know Oil of Olay makes some great products...my great grandma used their original pink stuff all her life and she looked like a goddess in her 90's!

My main advice is to spend your money on what's most important to you- I wear contact lenses and am always tugging at my eye area...so I focus on a good eye cream and skimp on not-so-necessary products like toner (I use witch hazel). Pick your #1 skin complaint, spend the money on a nice product and save elsewhere. I've found that with higher-end skin care, you really don't have to use very much. For example, my $50 jar of face cream will last me at least 6 months.

I get spa facials infrequently..I find them way too harsh. And ridiculously expensive. No need.

The Essential Day Spa site has a great thread that has tons of DYI recipes. It runs the gamut from all sorts of facial care to body care and hair care to making your own whitening toothpaste and sunblock. I tried the DIY glycolic peel recipe consisting of papaya, pineapple and honey and it was amazing. This peel gives you spa type results but it's all natural and super cheap.

Here is the link to that thread:

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum....php?tid=11902

kalirga, you rock. thank you! i think i'm going to look into getting a good eye cream. i, too, wear contacts & tug at/rub the area around my eyes, so i could splurge a little for that.
    white, black, puerto rican/everybody just a freakin'/good times were rollin'.

Thread Information