Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Teens maxing out on credit cards to get plastic surgery

SVZ

Default Teens maxing out on credit cards to get plastic surgery

http://www.couriermail.news.com.au/s...003401,00.html
    Teens max out on plastic

Phil Bartsch
    May 01, 2006

TEENAGE girls are using credit to pay for costly breast implants and other cosmetic surgery.
    For as little as $55 a week over five years, the teenagers most fresh out of high school with full-time jobs are paying for breast implants costing between $8000 and $10,000.
    Nose jobs are also popular, costing between $4000 and $7000.
    The "makeover mortgages" have made cosmetic surgery more accessible to young clients.
    Over the past three years the number of women aged under 20 undergoing cosmetic surgery has increased by 30 per cent, says the Gold Coast's self-styled queen of cosmetic surgery Pamela Noon.
    "The accessibility to finance has increased the younger market," Noon says. "You're talking thousands of dollars for these procedures and previously younger girls couldn't afford it."
    Teenager Niki Johnson says she was happy to take out a loan to get bigger breasts.
    "I've gone from a small B to a large C cup and I couldn't be happier. I feel a lot more confident," says the 19-year-old from East Brisbane.
    She was 18 when she had the procedure in June last year only a month after having cosmetic surgery to remove a "hump" on her nose.
    At the time, she was a personal assistant to Noon.
    "I did get a bit of discount because I was working there," she says. "But I still had to get a loan to pay for it. It's costing me about $50 a fortnight at the moment but it's definitely been worth it."
    "I grew up in a family where my mum and my younger sisters all had bigger breasts than me so I was always pretty self-conscious about it."
    She says she was initially a bit hesistant about getting breast implants but after gettinga job in the industry the temptation was too great and she thought "now's the time to get it done".
    "I actually woke up (after the surgery) and got a bit of shock because I looked down and thought I was Dolly Parton," Niki says.
    "They were just that big but when the swelling went down I thought 'This is great'. I could wear tops that I'd never thought of wearing before and bikins fit so well."
    The growing trend in teens willing to put themselves under the knife to reshape their bodies was highlighted this week in reality TV's Big Brother house.
    The show's 19-year-old housemate, Krystal, shocked Big Brother fans with her admission that she "loved her new boobs".
    Her decision to boost her breasts from a C to D cup to improve her self-confidence was done with the blessing of her mother, Karen, who also is appearing in the show and has implants.
    Noon agrees a trend is emerging.
    "Increasingly, we're seeing parents bringing girls in at the completion of high school.
    "I've got quite a few mother and daughter patients who have had various things done.
    "The mother usually comes in first for a facelift or some liposuction and they say 'My daughter's thinking of having this or that done. Can you see her?' . . . We've had girls as young as 16 having their breasts done.
    "It's up to whether the doctor considers them to be anatomically mature.
    "He'll decide if she can proceed or whether she needs to wait until she's a little bit older."
    The Australian Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS) is concerned that an increasing number of teenagers, bombarded by airbrushed images and unrealistsic representations of beauty, are being driven by peer pressure to have cosmetic surgery.
    A recent study in Britain found that by the age of 12, three-quarters of girls disliked something about their appearance and, by 16, one in four were considering cosmetic surgery.
    ASPS Gold Coast spokesman Dr Craig Layt says the rise in teenage girls opting for cosmetic surgery is part of an overall increase in demand for such procedures.
    "There's been an increase in cosmetic surgery generally and I think this is just part of that rather than a whole lot of young girls suddenly deciding 'I've got to get bigger boobs'," he said.
    According to the latest figures from the International Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery, the number of plastic surgery patients aged under 20 has remained stable at 12 per cent over the past four years.
    "Certainly young ladies are maturing a whole lot earlier than they were 30 or 40 years ago.
    "Your average 16-year-old girl these days is physically very mature," Dr Layt says.
    "But we don't go running around (doing) breast augmentation (for) girls who we believe are not physically and emotionally mature enough to have it done."
    Sydney-based lecturer in cultural and media studies Meredith Jones says cosmetic surgery is part of a wider social phenomenon she calls "makeover culture".
    "We've seen it in all sorts of areas and all sorts of reality TV shows like Backyard Blitz, The Biggest Loser and Extreme Makeover," she says. "It's a way for people to show that they're happening people, that they're always improving themselves, that they're always in a process of regeneration, renovation and restoration."
    In a paper she wrote entitled 'Mutton cut up as lamb: Mothers, daughters and cosmetic surgery', Jones observed: "While the daughter may use cosmetic surgery to escape the tyranny of her mother's genes and to distance her from her aesthetic fate, the mother concurrently uses cosmetic surgery to come closer to how the daughter looks".
    Noon says reality TV and glossy magazines have had a huge influence on the way cosmetic surgery is perceived in the community.
    "Ordinary people feel much more comfortable with it now," she says. "It's not just for rich, famous high-flyers."

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

Default Re: Teens maxing out on credit cards to get plastic surgery

I'm gonna do this too I've decided; you only live once and you can't money to the grave!

SVZ

Just don't have kids, or family

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

yeah or another car crash!

(i've been w/o my car for a month now )

I used to work for a bankruptcy lawyer, and you wouldn't believe how many teenagers and early 20 year olds file bankruptcy because they got out of hand with the credit cards and loans. Not student loans, either. I was shocked.
    Keep passing the open windows.

You know what, I felt as though I should get Rhinoplasty. I'll have you know that I have the worst kind of nose, but I decided to change my mind, because my sister told me that I had to just accept myself for what, and who I am. It wouldn't matter, beause then I would want to change something else about myself, later on. I guess that my nose is what makes me what, and who I am. I learned to take acceptance for my apprence. Besides, make-up fixes up my nose, and I look normal. Plus with plastic surgery there is a lot side effects to worry about. It really doesn't seem worth it... looking very fake.

Good for you fbwl!
    Keep passing the open windows.

"I've gone from a small B to a large C cup ........'This is great'. I could wear tops that I'd never thought of wearing before and bikins fit so well."
    Sounds really mature to me
    BTW I'm a small B and clothes always fit, I would have thought it's with bigger breasts that it's getting difficult to find a right size?
    "Sex is not, by default, depraved and dirty. Unless it's really good."
    morons.org

Quote Originally Posted by Glasgow53
    Good for you fbwl!
    I knew that it was off topic, but I really believe that having good people, and good posters(such as all of you!) makes you level-headed, and keeps you sane. It teaches you a lot when you understand procedures, and hear what others think of it.

I know that I really don't want to be a type of person that hates everything about themselves, and then wants to get plastic surgery to fix it. I guess that you just have to deal, and understand that truely nobody is prefect.

Hit By Ban Bus!

I went to the super market today and saw a boy who couldn't be older than 15 who had just had a nose job. I found it extremely fucked up.

Once upon a time, celebrities didn't have such an impact on normal people. Now, we HAVE to look like them, and we HAVE to be perfect. I've never been depressed looking at a celebrity because its not real to me. Its like fantasy. I'll never be part of that world, so I dont worry about it. But alot of people are so influenced by it that they end up going to plastic surgeons and asking for 'angelina's lips' or nicole kidman's nose. Its ridiculous.

Society is SO image obsessed. Even little kids get picked on for their imperfections. No one can ever deny that society punishes ugly and rewards beauty. Always will.

Anybody who chooses someone strictly on the basis of looks is shallow and probably not worth having anyway.

I've noticed a trend where teenage girls are getting plastic surgery as a high school graduation gift from their parents!! The first time I heard it I went Shit, I got a rusty car for graduation
    I'm not quite drunk enough to really care, but is this her violation of her violation of her violation of her violation of probation or her violation of her violation of her violation of her probation????? ~MontanaMama on LL's latest arrest.

I hate the idea of parents getting their children plastic surgery. I have a friend whose mother has been hounding her to get a rhinoplasty for years. And the girl is just fine with her (admittedly large) nose and happily married so WTF?

Stupid teens paying so much money they don't really have to go and get butchered. Why don't they work with what they have? I can understand if it's a totally huge and scary nose or ears that stick out or something that makes people laugh at them but the breast thing is usually gratuitous.

SVZ

I have no issue with teens getting plastic surgery, on the conditions that they're fully grown, do the research and don't find some shitty doctor who's willing to risk their health to make a quick buck.

I've considered it myself and even gotten a consult, but it's way too expensive. However I'm going to get my deviated septum fixed, luckily that's covered by OHIP (Canada's health care) so I won't have to pay for it, and this time I've found a doctor who I trust. But even then aesthetically I don't really need it, so I'm probably going to wait until I've graduated or got a career.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information