Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best sunblock for face?

Bronze Member

Default Best sunblock for face?

I've been using Clinique Super City Block SPF25 forever. Does anyone know if this is a good one?
    What other face sunblocks do people use that are good?

SVZ

Default Re: Best sunblock for face?

Clinique is very good since it uses a physical sunscreen (titanium oxide) there' also zinc oxide

Chemicals aren't that great...I can't remember the name of it right now I think it's octylcinnomide or something like that, anyways it's been shown to have estrogenic effects.

Dr. Hasuchka creates a good line.

The only problem with physical suncreens is that they can leave a white cast after being applied, of course if the lotion is tinted it's fine.

Oil of Olay is meh, it has a bit of titanium dioxide but mainly relies on a chemical sunscreen.

Another benefit of a physical sunscreen is that it blocks the full spectrum of UVA and UVB, because it reflects it, chemicals only work on a certain array.

I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Zee

I am extremely fair skinned and blue eyed and tried numerous products. So what I need may not gel with your skin type.

There are a multitude of formulations on the market. Whether you want chemical or physical barrier, pick a broad spectrum (UVA & UVB) sunscreen that has a spf 15 as a minimum.

There are some wonderful micronized zinc oxides on the market. The chalky look is long gone with these new materials.

My favorite on the market is Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry Touch Sunblock.

I would rather spend the money on a massage or facial treatment. Many people love Clinique's City Block, my skin broke out so it didn't work for me.

Good luck!
    Drive a car, drive a boat, drive a plane. What does it matter? As long as I'm drunk!
    pəʇɐɔɐɯnpə ɹ ı

SVZ

neutrogena isn't photostable unfortunately, it breaks down after it's funnily enough, exposed to the sun

I use Waterbabies subnblock. If it is good for babies, it is good for me. Plus, it is the ONLY sunblock that does not cause me to break out in a rash.

A*O

I use pretty much anything so long as it's SPF15 or higher. I like Clinique City Block too because it's not too claggy, goes on smoothly and without 'ghosting'. We have no ozone layer here so sunblock has to be a daily habit, even on cloudy days.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

A loving person lives in a loving world. A hostile person lives in a hostile world. Everyone you meet is your mirror. -Ken Keyes Jr.

I use the same clinique one as the OP, but anything that is recommended for babies is pretty good too.

Gold Member

I use Eucerin extra protective moisture lotion SPF30, I have oily skin and it's the only thing that doesn't turn me into a greaseball. It's by far the best one I've ever used for my skin type.
    If you can't be a good example -- then you'll just have to be a horrible warning

Quote Originally Posted by chuckpony
    I use Waterbabies subnblock. If it is good for babies, it is good for me. Plus, it is the ONLY sunblock that does not cause me to break out in a rash.
    Me too!

I use Banana Boat or No-Ad just because they don't test on animals. Then I use my regular moisturizer on top.

Quote Originally Posted by SVZ
    Clinique is very good since it uses a physical sunscreen (titanium oxide) there' also zinc oxide

Chemicals aren't that great...I can't remember the name of it right now I think it's octylcinnomide or something like that, anyways it's been shown to have estrogenic effects.

Dr. Hasuchka creates a good line.

The only problem with physical suncreens is that they can leave a white cast after being applied, of course if the lotion is tinted it's fine.

Oil of Olay is meh, it has a bit of titanium dioxide but mainly relies on a chemical sunscreen.

Another benefit of a physical sunscreen is that it blocks the full spectrum of UVA and UVB, because it reflects it, chemicals only work on a certain array.
    I don't agree, acutally some chemical sunscreens protect much better against UVA rays, best chemical sunscreens are Mexoryl and Tinsorb, not available in US (yet), but you can buy them online, ebay etc. they are the most stable UVA protectants.
    I would recommend Avene and La Roche Posay.
    Clinique filters are not photostable.
    the harmfull effect of the chemical sunscreens was not proven, and the research was done on rats, and we all know the downsides of rat studies. you cannot really relay on them that much. I read many articles written by dermatologists being very skeptical about the hormonal theories.
    the only downside of chemical sunscreens is that some people are allergic to them. other than that they are found to be the most stable and give the most UVA protection (Mexoryl and Tinsorb).
    http://www.nytimes.com/2005/06/09/fa...erland&emc=rss)
    http://www.dermatologytimes.com/derm...l.jsp?id=50923
    http://www.dermatologytimes.com/derm....jsp?id=277782
    http://www.dermatologytimes.com/derm...l.jsp?id=85396

There are only two tragedies in life: one is not getting what one wants, and the other is getting it.
    Oscar Wilde

pretending to be a lurker but I'm not quiet enough

Do the chemicals in sunscreen clog pores? I sometimes break out after wearing it. Or is this more of an allergic reaction?

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

Most sunblocks are not oil-free, so that can clog your pores. Neutrogena makes a good oil-free sunblock that I have relied on for a long time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information