Thread: How Young is Too Young for Skin Care?

Default How Young is Too Young for Skin Care?

Dear Paula,
    I am wondering when it is appropriate for my girls, ages 8 and 10, to start a skin-care regimen. They currently use Dove Sensitive Skin Soap for both face and body care. I noticed my 8-year-old is a bit oily in the scalp and face area. She also gets dry patches on her body in the winter. I think my older daughter is starting to get a little oily on her face, too. I don't want to saddle them with a long routine—they probably wouldn't do it anyway! Is it too soon to begin using separate facial products? Any suggestions?

Julie, via email

Dear Julie,
    Your question is one I think about a lot. Young girls desperately want to be older, and often use lots of makeup to create that appearance. On the other hand, there are mothers who push their children to be overly concerned about their appearance from a very early age. Either way, a balance between these two issues is needed, and I appreciate your being concerned about what's appropriate. Thankfully, when it comes to skin care, what's appropriate is an easy decision and actually has little to do with age. (You'll have to write to me again when your girls want to start wearing makeup!)

Skin-care concerns and needs are not really age dependent. Skin care is simply about taking care of the skin, either to prevent problems from occurring or to treat problems after they have occurred. In fact, despite the way cosmetics companies segment skin-care needs into age groups, skin-care needs are relatively universal. Basically, skin needs to be clean and protected from the sun and environment. When skin-care problems show up, regardless of age, whether it's cradle cap, diaper rash, redness, dryness, wrinkles, or oily areas, you treat the condition. How you treat the condition is critical. Sensible, proven battle plans (sometimes including medical attention) and well-formulated products are essential for success.

Dry skin is first and foremost about avoiding products and conditions that make matters worse. Bar cleansers and soaps (even those from Dove), long, hot showers or baths, and overscrubbing skin can create dry skin or make matters worse. Using an elegantly formulated moisturizer (one with antioxidants and ingredients that mimic the structure of skin) over dry areas is extremely helpful. And if you live in an arid environment, you should consider using a humidifier in your home. During the day it is essential to protect the skin from sun with clothing, sun awareness, and a well-formulated sunscreen rated SPF 15 or higher.

Oily skin at the ages of 8 and 10 is probably related to hormone activity, but you should check with your physician about that. As long as blemishes aren't an issue, there isn't any real reason to treat oily skin. A flaky scalp can be caused by many things, from dry scalp to over-shampooing or using too much hair gel or mousse (that can cause flakes). It can also be a sign of dandruff or seborrhea, something else you should check with your physician about. For skin-care and hair-care products, Dove has some great options, but so do Clinique and Paula's Choice.

Source: Paula Begoun

Default Re: How Young is Too Young for Skin Care?

8 and 10 sounds a bit young to me. I don't think I ever put anything but sunscreen during summer, at that age.
    Nope.

Me neither! I only started moisturising when I started wearing make up which was about 14!

I'm 18 now and use anti wrinkle cream though!!
    No man is worth your tears, but once you find one that is, he won't make you cry
    G_ F_CK Y__RS_LF - Would you like to buy a vowel??

^^ In theory you don't need anti-wrinkle until you hit 20, it's only then that the horrible decaying process begins
    Nope.

Doesn't the body start going downhill at 25? I think my mum told me that.

I'm 20 Tiara, I use anti-wrinkle cream too. I think I have since I was about 10.

Or 25, maybe you're right, bella. I began using cream with glycolic acid when I was 22-23 I think, but not very regularly. Beauty comes from the inside anyway... what you eat and drink, I mean
    Nope.

I think I started using a face wash and moisturizer when I was about 10. Bad skin runs in my family....I wanted to be safe.
    "Women are meant to be loved, not to be understood". --Oscar Wilde

I was always afraid to use moisturisers when I was younger because I had really bad acne and I wouldn't do anything that could possibly make it any worse. The cream I used to get rid of my bad skin made my skin really dry and flakey, so I did need it but was too scared. God I must have been a real sight for sore eyes mustn't I??
    No man is worth your tears, but once you find one that is, he won't make you cry
    G_ F_CK Y__RS_LF - Would you like to buy a vowel??

Bronze Member

In France kids start skin care at 10 or so and people get facials there very often, I wish I could afford frequent skincare.
    I have been moisturzing etc since I was in highschool, which wasn't the norm back then. I am glad that skincare is more of a concern now days.

I don't know if it's a cultural thing, but my mom introduced me to skin care as far back as I can remember. I'm Asian. Filipino to be exact. My mom instructed me how to wash with special cleansers, and how to apply moisturizer. Not to mention, she was very adamant I wear sunscreen even on cloudy days. I think doing the skin regimen at a young age helped me looked younger than I really am. I'm nearly 34.
    Last edited by heart_leigh; July 23rd, 2006 at 11:22 AM.
    Rock the fuck on!

My girls are 7 and 8 and I have them wear sun block when ever they go outside. I tell them that they are never too young to start thinking about taking care of their skin. I have them wash their faces with plain water, in the morning and before bed.

Hit By Ban Bus!

My theory is that the more crap you put on your skin, the quicker it will wrinkle. I'm 23 and only use moisturizer when my skin is dryish, and sunscreen when I'm outdoors and it's too sunny (my skin is very fair, and burns very easily). I think those anti-wrinkle creams at a young age are only more unnecessary chemicals that will contribute for your skin to age more rapidly.

Thread Information