Login to remove the ads!

Thread: Tea Tree Oil for Acne?

Default Tea Tree Oil for Acne?

Tea Tree Oil/Melaleuca

Tea tree oil has some interesting research demonstrating it to be an effective antimicrobial agent. The Journal of Applied Microbiology (January 2000, pages 170–175) stated that "The essential oil of Melaleuca alternifolia (tea tree) exhibits broad-spectrum antimicrobial activity. Its mode of action against the Gram-negative bacterium Escherichia coli AG100, the Gram-positive bacterium Staphylococcus aureus NCTC 8325, and the yeast Candida albicans has been investigated using a range of methods.... The ability of tea tree oil to disrupt the permeability barrier of cell membrane structures and the accompanying loss of chemiosmotic control is the most likely source of its lethal action at minimum inhibitory levels." In addition, "In a randomized, placebo-controlled pilot study of tea tree oil in the treatment of herpes cold sores, tea tree oil was found to have similar degree of activity as 5% acyclovir" (Source: Journal of Antimicrobial Chemotherapy, May 2001, page 450).

For acne there is also some credible published information showing it to be effective as a topical disinfectant for killing the bacteria that can cause pimples (Source: Letters in Applied Microbiology, October 1995, pages 242–245). However, the crux of the matter for tea tree oil is: How much is needed to have an effect? The Medical Journal of Australia (October 1990, pages 455–458) compared the efficacy of tea tree oil to the efficacy of benzoyl peroxide for the treatment of acne. A study of 119 patients using 5% tea tree oil in a gel base versus 5% benzoyl peroxide lotion was discussed. There were 61 in the benzoyl peroxide group and 58 in the tea tree oil group. The conclusion was that "both treatments were effective in reducing the number of inflamed lesions throughout the trial, with a significantly better result for benzoyl peroxide when compared to the tea tree oil. Skin oiliness was lessened significantly in the benzoyl peroxide group versus the tea tree oil group." However, while the reduction of breakouts was greater for the benzoyl peroxide group, the side effects of dryness, stinging, and burning were also greater—"79% of the benzoyl peroxide group versus 49% of the tea tree oil group." There is also current research that has questioned whether or not the data in this study is even relevant because it wasn't done using a placebo group (Source: Journal of Antimicrobial Chemotherapy, January 2003, pages 241-246).

Given these results, a 2.5% strength benzoyl peroxide solution would be better to start with to see if it is effective, rather than starting with the more potent and somewhat more irritating 5% or 10% concentrations. However, if you were interested in using a 5% strength tea tree oil solution to see if that would be effective, at this time I know of no products stating the amount of tea tree oil they contain. It appears that almost all of the tea tree oil products on the market contain little more than a 1% concentration, if that, which is probably not enough to be of much help for breakouts.

Source: Paula Begoun

Default Re: Tea Tree Oil for Acne?

The Body Shop has a Tea Tree oil line of products. The correcting stick is not very efficient IMO. The mask for the nose is great because you have to rip it off and the whole sebaceous shit goes away with it
    Anyway, since I'm now boycotting their products, I turned to the essential oil of geranium. Put a couple of drops of it in any other oil (sweet almond / jojoba / lavender...) and use at night, it's a great skin regulator. I'll put a drop of pure geranium essential oil on a really bad pimple, it's very effective but it has a strong smell.
    "Sex is not, by default, depraved and dirty. Unless it's really good."
    morons.org

I thought that it was a very bad idea to use products that have those types of oil, like almond oil. Wouldn't it make you break out even more?
    But, I just prefer masks, and cleansers, than any oil. Like you just rub the oil on your skin, and that's it... isn't that one of the ways to break out more?

A*O

Boring botanical note: Tea tree (or ti tree) or to give its formal name melaleuca (several varieties) is NOT the tree they pick leaves from to make your morning cuppa. It's a native tree in Oz and grows like a weed more or less everywhere. Devotees of Tea Tree Oil say it cures more or less everything but I am not convinced.
    How can you trust anything that bleeds for 3 days every month but doesn't die?

Blog Entries

The bad thing about Tea Tree oil is that it STINKS. I can't stand the smell so my bottle goes to waste sitting there all alone...
    ><((((º>·. ¸¸. ·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>><((((º>`·.¸¸.··´¯`·...¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º> `·.¸¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Hit By Ban Bus! UndercoverGator's Avatar

Stinks like hell!! I'm using a Tea Tree Oil shampoo for my poor allergic scalp and it just smells so horrible. I only use it as long as I'm breaking out before going back to my favorite goats milk shampoo that comes in the best floral scents.

SVZ

Quote Originally Posted by fbwl
    I thought that it was a very bad idea to use products that have those types of oil, like almond oil. Wouldn't it make you break out even more?
    But, I just prefer masks, and cleansers, than any oil. Like you just rub the oil on your skin, and that's it... isn't that one of the ways to break out more?
    Not all oil is bad, some of them actual tell your skin that it already has enough oil and it stops producing it's oil.

Of course finding that magical oil that works just right for your skin is an expensive crapshoot.

Hit By Ban Bus!

I have had acne for many years , am in my twenties now and am very concerned with my appearance . I have tried many products but nothing works . I am on antibiotics for over 5 months and it still didn’t help my skin . For awhile it cleared up my acne, but then it came back. Through a friend I found out about HORMEL acne cleanser and began using it about 4 weeks now . There has been a definite visible improvement on my skin and I hardly ever have a breakout nowadays . I noticed that my skin has brightened up and my complexion is smoother and softer looking .I am also using their milia treatment cream for the milia around my eyes as well ,and it's really effective . I am so happy that I have finally found something that actually works.
    Last edited by twitchy2.0; January 13th, 2014 at 02:15 PM. Reason: Moron

Tea Tree Oil works. I use this all natural facial soap which contains tea tree oil and even though I don't have much acne I only get it close to period time the soap really keeps those suckers under control.
    God help me to remember that it takes 42 muscles to frown and only 4 to extend my middle finger and tell them to bite me!

the tea tree therapy line works for most people i know. i use their antiseptic balm for pimples just starting to grow. they do dry up. i also use it for minor scratches and burns and insect bites.

Thread Information