Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Top 10 things that make you look older (maybe)

Default Top 10 things that make you look older (maybe)

It's just one person's opinion but it's interesting. I've read the blog before and she's suggests how to keep defining your style with cool and class. I'd say the blog was geared for 45 plus.
    -----------------------------------------------

Top 10 Things That Make You Look Older
    Your fashion and beauty choices may be aging you

Reading glasses may be a necessity at this age (at least they are for me), but they can make you look older. I don't know any woman who will purposely wear something that makes her look fatter. But you'd be surprised by how many middle-age women wear styles that make them look older.

It's not just vanity that keeps me wanting to look younger. It's the fact that I don't feel old on the inside, so why would I want to portray an aged image to the world?
    Here is my hit list of the Top 10 things that will make you look older:

1. Tweed. While some fabrics have a youthful vibe (like denim), tweed seems to do the opposite because it's associated with matronly suits. If it's a menswear look you are after, opt for pinstripes or oversized houndstooth instead of tweed.
    2. Reading glasses. Sure, you may need them, but no woman ever looked younger with little reading glasses perched on the end of her nose. And the chain attached to them so you always have them at hand? That makes you look older, too. If you must wear reading glasses (and I need them, too) make sure they are cute (I have a purple pair) or fun (and I also have one pair with crystals.)
    3. Gray hair. I'm probably going to get in big trouble here from all the women who opt for gray hair, but the truth is it makes you look older. And that's one thing I don't want at this point in my life. Maybe when I'm a senior I'll be cooler with the idea of going gray, but in middle age I still want to look as young as possible. I'm not saying gray hair can't be chic (I know many women who look beautiful with it), I'm just saying it never made anyone look younger. Better options than going gray in middle age are colors that are flattering to your skin tones (I chose bronde.)
    4. Cardigans. I like a cardigan occasionally tied around the neck and that's about it for middle-age women. Although it seems like an ideal layering piece, it is really unflattering for heavier women because it lacks shape and structure so lumps and bumps show. A better choice is a jacket or blazer with some construction (set-in sleeves, seaming, a collar) because it offsets middle-age spread. And whatever you do, don't tie the cardigan around your waist because it never hides hips, only makes them look bigger.
    5. Sensible shoes/comfort shoes. Want to ruin a perfectly good look? Wear comfort sandals with it. There are too many cute shoes in the market that are comfortable without the clunky soles and features of so-called comfort sandals.
    6. Mom jeans. Peg-leg jeans with a high waist a.k.a. mom jeans are unflattering and outdated. It's such a simple thing to change because every conceivable label has a version of jeans that work for women our age, from affordable Lee jeans to upscale Not Your Daughter's Jeans.
    7. Any color that washes you out. One thing that will instantly make you look older is to wear a color that drains you of color. For me, that means I avoid mauves and yellows; your colors may be different. The right colors (almost everyone looks pretty in the right shade of red or blue) can brighten your skin and make you look younger.
    8. Old lady handbag. Are you still carrying that logo bag from 15 years ago? Handbags have been a driving force of fashion for the past decade and still carrying an organizer bag (or worse) can add years to your age. An updated option would be a cute crossbody bag or a fun leather bag.
    9. Too much or too little makeup. Garish blush and lipstick can be just as aging as no makeup at all. If you're not sure what still works for you, go to your local department store or Sephora and get a free makeover with the latest products. New eyeshadows are sheer and luminescent, as are lipsticks and glosses. Learn how to apply pretty colors with a light hand and you'll be on the right track to wearing the perfect makeup in middle age.
    10. Socks and sneakers with anything other than workout clothes. Sneakers, socks and Capri pants? Yikes. White sneakers (except for working out) are a one-way ticket to old lady land. I try to avoid this outdated look by always having updated sports shoe options on hand (slip-on black sports mules are a good option, so are Converse style sneakers.)

Top 10 Things That Make You Look Older | Style Goes Strong

Being too skinny/working out too much. Women 10 years younger than me look the same age or older because their faces are gaunt and mine still has a little roundness to it.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

12. Standing next to younger people.

13. Pulling your pants up over your belly button.

14. Wearing your Matlock fan club pin.

15. Wearing your glasses at the end of your nose.

16. Walking like you've got a hitch in your getalong.

17. Driving with your turn signal on for 5 miles.

18. Leaving bowls of hard candy all over your house.

19. Wearing granny panties - especially on the outside of your pants.

20. Buying low-grade hair dye and turning your hair purple instead of brown.

Hey! My "granny pants" are more like boy-shorts, don't creep up my ass, don't sit on my scaring & don't show under my clothes!!!!

Thanks Chalet, like you say a lot of this is personal, for example cardigans - I wear them & not jackets but go for funky updated shapes. My new exploration is the shortsleeved/sleeveless kind. I'll be checking out the blog.
    Free Charmed.

Elite Member

I disagree about the cardigans. A fitted one, worn open over a cute embellished t-shirt or a cute print knit top, looks youthful. Cardigans don't have to be boxy twin sets.

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    17. Driving with your turn signal on for 5 miles.
    Good one!

Yeah but I've seen young people do that too. I think most of the time they've got the radio on too loud to hear the clicking that tells you the blinker's still on. It's pretty infuriating when I'm waiting for them to switch lanes or am afraid they'll suddenly swerve in front of me into my lane. Like it gives them swerving rights to switch lanes whenever because hey, they had the blinker on. It's not a warning indicator of anything if you've had it on for the last mile, dummy.

I personally, being english don't agree with the tweed statement, but who am I to back Chanel over a blogger?
    Free Charmed.

Well Chanel's tweed jackets just look classic and convey the "Old money can afford to not give a shit if you think I look old" attitude.

I love the look of tweed trousers and if I had less generous thighs which didn't threaten to start a fire if I were to walk fast in tweed pants, I'd totally wear them.

Quote Originally Posted by Beeyotch View Post
    Well Chanel's tweed jackets just look classic and convey the "Old money can afford to not give a shit if you think I look old" attitude.

I love the look of tweed trousers and if I had less generous thighs which didn't threaten to start a fire if I were to walk fast in tweed pants, I'd totally wear them.
    yeah, and presumably if you didn't live somehwere as hot? Tweed is itchy if its wool though. I have some Chanel/Armani silk tween & its blissful.
    Free Charmed.

I like a cardigan occasionally tied around the neck and that's about it for middle-age women. Although it seems like an ideal layering piece, it is really unflattering for heavier women because it lacks shape and structure so lumps and bumps show.
    She's half right about this. You want to flatter your figure not just your age, and on many heavy women structured tailoring is better. It all depends on your individual shape, there's a big variety of shapes among heavy people.
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Maybe it's because a lot of older women now were young in the 80s when boxy was de rigure? And I know that I need to WEAR a Cardigan not just tie it around my shoulders because between hot flushes I freeze my ass of in our office!
    Free Charmed.

I think when fashion people make very broad generalizations they forget that there are all different silhouettes of garments, and all different types of figures. People just have to find the right one.
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

I think if you hair is a certain length(too longish) it will age you.

Pfft, I have an amazing collection of cardigans. I even have short sleeve ones for summer. Cardigans are not always drab.
    Alicia Silverstone: "I think that the film Clueless was very deep. I think it was deep in the way that it was very light. I think lightness has to come from a very deep place if it's true lightness."

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread Information