Thread: Keratosis Pilaris

Default Keratosis Pilaris

I have KP on my arms pretty bad, resulting in rough, bumpy skin. I used to have it on my thighs too, but that seems to have gone away by itself (mostly).

I do the exfoliate/moisturize thing, which seems to help in making it less rough and dry. The bumps never go away, though. I don't really have one product hat I use, just whatever's around . Right now I have plain old nivea in the blue tin.

I need tips and recommendations. I'm on a budget, but willing to spend a bit more on a product if others have had good results with it.

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

Paula's Choice BHA lotion and the 2% Salicylic Acid Toner.
    Posted from my iPhone
    KILLING ME WON'T BRING BACK YOUR GOD DAMNED HONEY!!!!!!!!!!

Come on, let's have lots of drinks.

Fuck you all, I'm going viral.

I don't know that brand... is that available in Europe? ordering things online isn't an option for me...

Amlactin lotion is good, too. See if that's available in Europe. I use that and it seems to work

Damn, it's online. Anything with salicylic acid should do the trick.
    Posted from my iPhone

Quote Originally Posted by KrisNine View Post
    Amlactin lotion is good, too. See if that's available in Europe. I use that and it seems to work
    Hmmm... after some googling it doesn't seem to be available in europe, and also their website doesn't mention. I'll see if I can find a list of the ingredients so I can find a similar product.

I have read around on several KP and skincare forums, and there seem to be many great products that just aren't readily available in europe.

I did ask once in our local drugstore.. and they hadn't even heard of the condition. They recommended regular cream or bodylotion... yea I kinda figured that oone out muself already. i need something that works.

organic extra virgin coconut oil is a cheap and easy cure! You can buy it at GNC (sorry, not sure if you have that store or not) or go to any health food store and make sure it is organic.

It comes as a solid. When you scoop it out of the jar, your body heat will melt it and rub over affected area. A little goes a long way, a teaspoon of the solid would cover both of my arms.

It also is awesome for hair and scalp. I have an extremely dry scalp in the winter and I hate those nasty dandruff shampoos. Rub this into scalp once a week before shampooing and dry flaky skin is gone.

I get very dry skin over my legs and arms in the winter - I picked up Burts Bees honey and shea therapeutic body butter and bingo! Within a week, my skin felt like a baby's butt. Have been purchasing Bee products ever since (this was last winter).
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

Burt's Bees body lotion contains as a main ingredient coconut oil, so that could be it.

A twice weekly treatment you could do is an at home aspirin scrub/mask on affected areas to clear it up. It's a bitch because there's nothing that will make it go away. I find that my skin does best when it gets a bit of sun or I leave the areas bare NAKED. Hard to do in winter which is usually when it really flares up.
    Posted from my iPhone

Quote Originally Posted by Just Kill Me View Post
    Burt's Bees body lotion contains as a main ingredient coconut oil, so that could be it.

A twice weekly treatment you could do is an at home aspirin scrub/mask on affected areas to clear it up. It's a bitch because there's nothing that will make it go away. I find that my skin does best when it gets a bit of sun or I leave the areas bare NAKED. Hard to do in winter which is usually when it really flares up.
    Posted from my iPhone
    Mine is hardly noticable when I get out of bed... then gradually it comes back. Wtf is that about. I don't moisturize right before I go to bed and I don't have magic sheets.

I agree that keeping the skin bare helps, something to do with UV rays maybe? Helps with my acne, too.

I'm gonna go look for coconut oil. I have seen it as a hair conditioner, but that had all other kinds of crap in it.

Elite Member

Other things that help:

Goat's milk soap

Taking flaxseed oil internally

Avoiding body washes/shower gels that have SLS (sodium lauryl sulfate/sodium laureth sulfate)

These measures are generally good for your skin--if you have other problems like eczema it will benefit those as well.

Getting older helps too (I think it starts to abate in your 40s). With that said, it is definitely genetic and my daughters have it.

Quote Originally Posted by BBDSP View Post
    Other things that help:

Goat's milk soap

Taking flaxseed oil internally

Avoiding body washes/shower gels that have SLS (sodium lauryl sulfate/sodium laureth sulfate)

These measures are generally good for your skin--if you have other problems like eczema it will benefit those as well.

Getting older helps too (I think it starts to abate in your 40s). With that said, it is definitely genetic and my daughters have it.
    Flaxseed oil, good one. I take a million supplements already (several for hair and skin), why not another one Would a health food store have that?
    I might need to check out a health food store anyway, for the coconut oil, and to see if they have body washes, etc that don't have all that chemical crap in them.

My sister has KP, but my mother doesn't. No one else on her side has it, as far as I know. Don't know about my dad's side of the family. Genetics are a bitch.

I'm 30, so I do hope my skin will improve over the years. I know my acne has improved a lot, didn't have it at all in my teens, then after I turned 20, bam. But in the last year or to it has cleared up and now I only get the occasional hormonal breakout.

ETA: has anyone else nticed their KP getting worse with weight gain, and/or better with weight losse? I have. My KP was way, way worse when i was bigger, i had it on my thighs and hips too. But now that I've lost weight (and still losing, albeit slowly) that has gone away and I only have it on my arms now. My theory is that when you're bigger, the skin is more strectched out and thus more prone to drying out.

Thread Information