Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hair Help Needed - Advice on Cut/Restyle

Default Hair Help Needed - Advice on Cut/Restyle

Ok, I'm sick of my long hair, I have an appointment with my hair dresser in one weeks time.

I have thick, mainly straight (there is a slight kink to it but that's all & it does not hold curl at all), down to my bra-strap-across-my-back hair. It is very dark, but (and I hate to admit this) I've got some (colored over) grey around the temples. I also currently have some slight long layers in it and the remains of a fringe (bangs?). My personal style is more classical that fashionable with a twist of querky/vintage & I can't be arsed to do something exciting with it every day, I rarely wear more make-up than mascara/eye-liner/lip-gloss.

Now, this is where I need your help, and, please feel free to post pictures to illustrate your point!

I feel that my hair is wearing me, all I do is tie it up in a ponytail or clip it up in a twist.

I feel that I need a change, I've already started to loose my natural "nearly black" hair color so we've accounted for that. I don't want short-short hair, I want it nearly/at least shoulder length, I wear glasses all the time (contacts are no longer an option) and because I'm fat I have a round face that used to be heart-shaped....

What can I do???
    Free Charmed.

How about getting it cut shoulder length with some long layers and some bit of cutting with texture scissors? Texturing can thin the hair just a little, but you will be suprised how light it will feel. Maybe some highlight/lowlights? I find that best to cover grey. I am looking now to try and find you a picture of what I am talking about with the cut and color.

Maybe something like this in way of cut?

http://shortlonghairstyles.com/10/lo...airstyles.html

The 1st one?
    Last edited by darksithbunny; September 25th, 2011 at 09:26 AM. Reason: Adding link.

Oh sounds interesting.
    I had a load if it razored out last summer or the one before & it made a big difference.
    I don't mind the thickness because in my 20s & early 30s it was fine & straight. A combination of extended stress & illness (hormones!) changed it.

I do have it colored, bit last time she did it she gave me an all-over in what we normally use for my base color. It's too dark (for all over) & completely hid the taupe/toffee highlights I had. I look waaay too much like Anjelica Houston for my liking at the moment...

I can't think of anyone who has hair that sort of length that I like...
    Free Charmed.

I've always thought that a shoulder-length bob looks really good on rounder faces. Kelly Clarkson's bob worked well, imo:

You could always keep a bit more length than that depending.

If you don't want a dramatic change, I would start out with very little length off. Get use to it, but go all out with color. I find that dramatic change with cut and color can be a bit much at the same time. I know that it takes me a couple visit to get up to cutting it off shorter, but at least when you color and texture it, it will look different, feel different, and maybe give you that little change to make you feel good about it.

On the plus side, I just read where people with round or heart shaped faces age the most gracefully!
    Whatever style you decide on, the hairdresser/cut is key. Start noticing women with great haircuts around you and find out who they go to.
    Go in for a consult and see what they think would look best on you. Listen to what they say & why. Your hair is unique and doing this in real life might be best.
    A good hairstyle can change your life. Our secretary was nice looking,blah medium hair. She came in with a perfect bob one morning and went from fine to zowie! Created quite a stir.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Please keep us updated in what you decide!

I have similar hair to what you describe. Mine is longer, just above my butt. Very thick, mostly straight with a bit of a kink to it. All one length.

I dye it Auburn but it always turns out a bit purplish-red. (Which I like)

I always used a flat iron on it, and it was great! Shiny and long. But SUCH a pain in the ass. Since losing my job, I have no ambition to do anything with it, so it goes up in a pony-tail or loose braid.

I keep thinking about doing something different with it but I'm kinda scared.

I really wanted my long hair back after cutting it all off after my divorce 3 years ago. (Any upsetting crazy situation in my life, and for some reason I always end up doing something drastic to my hair!)

I love it, but it is getting a bit much. And I have loooong red hairs EVERYWHERE.

Good luck with finding the right look!
    ~Madness, as you know, is like gravity. All it takes is a little push.

Dear Sandra Bullock - I mean Novice.

Don't be ashamed about having to touch up a little grey. It always shows up on dark hair. I love those styles above, with that shorter, long layered look. It would look sexy, youthful and sophisticated. Messy and neat. A soft side "fringe" (my American to British dictionary in use) is always softening.

You could go mad and add some lowlights to those long layers. However, don't let it become "the Rachel".

Novice, your hair sounds a lot like mine. I'm also at the stage now where I'm just constantly putting it up or back because I don't have time to wrangle it into a style. I'm realizing, though, that with a good cut with lots of layers and just a little styling (tousling, a little product to smooth the ends, and flat-ironing my bangs, or alternatively, blow-drying the whole shebang while finger-tousling), I can get a look that's really flattering. I'm starting to realize that works best for me might not be a structured bob or a flat-ironed model-straight look, but something more relaxed and a little bit 70s. Here are some pics I've been looking at, in case you want to go in a similar direction:

Good luck!
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

Thanks all

Tati - that's what it kind of looks like now especially the top one (but longer & thicker). (the Mischa is how I crawl out of bed).

Sith - I've done lots of different color things with it so now I think it's time for the cut, or maybe not...

Chalet - But I LIKE the Rachel..... I'm just pissed because my body seems to be ageing so quickly since my surgery. I have joint issues and other stuff going on & I'm waiting for my hair to get thin & (all) go grey.... Also is it wrong that I use Sandra B as a hair inspiration?

McJag...My hairdresser is usually amazing I'm just pissed off that her underling wrote the wrong color down on my card. Even after shed finished she commented on how dark it was. I trust my hairdresser, I just need a little inspiration.

Laurent, oh Laurent.... Eek! That's short! (hahahaha) I saw someone with something similar (on here?) but nearly shoulder length I think & thought how nice it was...
    Free Charmed.

Then I like all of those Tati posted, especially the last one. More fullness, but it sounds like you would need root boost. That works really well.
    Hair grows out, so plunge it. Can we see?
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Quote Originally Posted by Novice View Post
    Laurent, oh Laurent.... Eek! That's short! (hahahaha) I saw someone with something similar (on here?) but nearly shoulder length I think & thought how nice it was...
    Yeah, Kelly's was short, but I thought it was so cute on her face! I sometimes fantasize about cutting mine off again and going for something like that. Mine is to about the top of my shoulder blades with heavy layers and I like it, but it requires a lot of styling time.

i have a roundish face and a cut similar to the one someone linked to upthread:

when you have a round face the key is volume.
    i think these cuts are flattering:

i hate how she's styled this - it looks like texas pageant hair. but the cut itself is kinda retro and would look great if she knew how to style it.

I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Don't cut it off short you'll hate it, trust me I still hate mine. I think shoulder length with some layers would work great, and get some highlights/lowlights. then it feels like you did something drastic
    Silly bitches, twitchy links are NOT for kids!-Mel

I think that my hair is fairly like this right now... She cut some layers into it last time I was there as I was sick of it then.... Its longer than this be 4-5 inches.

I have also had it like this...

Quote Originally Posted by darksithbunny View Post
    Maybe something like this in way of cut?
    2011 Spring Hairstyle - Long Bob Hairstyles | Hairstyles 2011
    The 1st one?

Yeah, thats good...

Quote Originally Posted by Laurent View Post
    Yeah, Kelly's was short, but I thought it was so cute on her face! I sometimes fantasize about cutting mine off again and going for something like that. Mine is to about the top of my shoulder blades with heavy layers and I like it, but it requires a lot of styling time.
    Hahahahaha! yeah it think thats what we're talking here....

Quote Originally Posted by shedevilang View Post
    Don't cut it off short you'll hate it, trust me I still hate mine. I think shoulder length with some layers would work great, and get some highlights/lowlights. then it feels like you did something drastic
    I don't want to go really short, I think that shoulder length is going to be the shortest I go, if I'm honest....
    Quote Originally Posted by dowcat View Post
    I know it sounds crazy (but I have just spent more than one weeks wages on two flights to Prague....) but I like this, I like the movement in it...

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post

I like this too, but I don't know it I'm brave enough to go with it.... I might print this page & take it to my hairdresser & just tell her to work her (usual) miracle.....

I've looked & further looks for the picture of the celeb (on here) that cut her long hair to just around shoulder length (shes a brunette, but I can't think of her name) but I can't find it.... I do know that it was quite full - unlike these about that are straight & thin-looking (prob due to the straightening or diet, eh?) and "round" or full.... anyway....
    Last edited by Novice; September 26th, 2011 at 06:02 PM.
    Free Charmed.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information