Thread: Oprah’s Hair Stylist Pisses Off "kinky" haired girls

Default Oprah’s Hair Stylist Pisses Off "kinky" haired girls

In a recent interview with Elle magazine, Andre Walker — who was responsible for Her Majesty Oprah Winfrey's hair for more than two decades, said: "I always recommend embracing your natural texture. Kinky hair can have limited styling options; that's the only hair type that I suggest altering with professional relaxing." Uh-oh. Kinky-haired people did not like that.

Obviously a man who swears that kinky hair has "limited styling options" has never seen any of the amazing pictures on Curly Nikki or Le Coil.

One disappointed reader sighed:
    "Oh Andre. You can do better than that. Natural hair is so versatile. The styles we can choose from are diverse and stylish. Saying that kinky hair is the only hair that should have chemicals poured on it is pretty lame. I suspect the comment has more to do with your personal aesthetics or lack of skills to work with any kind of afro hair. "
    Walker — whose motto is "make peace with your hair," backpedaled and clarified on his blog, writing:
    It is a fact that kinky hair (my Type 4 definition) is extremely fragile and breaks easily. Even when you are very careful, something as simple as combing can break this texture. It is very difficult to achieve a longer length when the hair breaks, even with simple combing. That being said, there is the style option of wearing braids, dreads, or twists, which allows the hair to grow longer because it is combed less often. Another style choice is to simply wear a shorter cut, which is very attractive on some women but just not right for others.

So when I say to embrace your natural texture, but consider relaxing kinky hair, am I contradicting myself? I don't think so! You see, even relaxed hair can still be worn naturally. If you want a natural look, but find that your kinky hair is difficult to manage, breaks too easily, lacks shine and luster, and limits your preferred styling options, I say feel free to consider a mild chemical relaxer, sometimes called a texturizer, that eases your hair to a more manageable texture and allows you to Make Peace With Your Hair.
    This didn't do much for those he upset. As a commenter named Danielle notes on The Mane Source, "Sad, this is why so many women feel they can't go natural, when "professional hair stylists" shame their natural hair texture and suggest relaxers."

Maybe some ladies feel natural isn't an option, but if the comments on these stories and natural hair blogs like the ones mentioned above are any indication, plenty of women are trying it out, no matter what Oprah's hair guy thinks. Maybe Elle should interview them?

Oprah's Hair Stylist Pisses Off Kinky-Haired Folks

Oprah's Hair Stylist says to Chemically Alter "Kinky" Hair [The Coil Review]
    Oprah's Hair Stylist Sorta Kinda Apologizes For "Kinky" Hair Remark, But Not Really [ONTD]
    Andre Walker Clarifies Comments He Made About Kinky Hair [The Mane Source]
    My Professional Opinion About The Care And Styling Of Natural Hair [Andre Walker Hair]
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

omg I loved him on her show on OWN, he barely spoke (or was allowed to I guess), but he had a great bitch face and was always caring for his mater, I mean, employer.

its funny b/c I used to really like Oprah as a person, like I think I was the only fan of hers on this board and always defended her for everything she's accomplished and what she's done with her life and I still respect her for that, but after watching every single one of her Oprah Behind the Scenes shows on OWN, I just couldn't take her anymore, but the way she is isn't surprising considering she is who she is. She's not a bad person, just hard to swallow.

p.s. I never watched The Oprah Winfrey talk show, I'm just talking about her as a person.

So hair that is "extremely fragile and breaks easily" should have a shitload of chemicals poured on it? Yeah that makes sense.

Andre, you made Oprah look glamorous. Somebody is always going to be offended somewhere.

I liked early days Oprah, she has been insufferable for years now. My hair grows kinkier by the day, I am learning to live with it. He probably didn't know what to say without her hand up his ass.

Quote Originally Posted by faithanne View Post
    So hair that is "extremely fragile and breaks easily" should have a shitload of chemicals poured on it? Yeah that makes sense.
    nope , I put a relaxer in my bleached hair once, yeah bad mistake...

anyways, strangely, my hair has gotten calmer over the years - it was nice as a kid, got horrible for many year, and now its ok

even still, do any of us actually like what we're born with?

on Oprah: Master Class (another show about herself on her own network) she said that she's always had great hair, that maybe not be the prettiest or whatever, but she always had great hair

yeah insufferable is a pretty good word for her huh

oh well at least he wasn't recommending weaves.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Quote Originally Posted by AliceInWonderland View Post
    on Oprah: Master Class (another show about herself on her own network) she said that she's always had great hair, that maybe not be the prettiest or whatever, but she always had great hair
    Alice is your TV broken and stuck on the Oprah network? You must be watching it 24/7!

I know right, I think it was MsDeb who said I must be the only person watching this shit

After reading this thread I turned it on last night; saw two super depressing shows, one about poor folks in Appalachia and the next about albinos getting their limbs chopped off in Tanzania. Not good shows to watch before going to bed. Not to mention every other commercial was clips of Oprah crying at her big goodbye extravaganza. I won't be back to OWN.

^ yeah, sorry I shouldn't laugh, but we'll see how the network does in the long run - I heard the top network exec was fired?

Oprah Winfrey names herself CEO of struggling OWN - MSN TV News

yep, well that eternal kiss-ass Sheri Salata is a millionaire I'm sure by now

Thread Information