Thread: How to beat bad skin habits

Wink How to beat bad skin habits

Even celebs have trouble with their skin from time to time- but bad skincare habits often add to the problem. We look at five of the worst - and show you how to beat them.

1. Do you use soap to cleanse?

Over 80% of us still use soap - and providing you don't wear make-up, live in an area with soft water and have oily skin, using it to cleanse is fine. But everyone else should steer clear.

'It's hard to change because the clean sensation of washing with soap and water is difficult to beat,' says Nicky Clarke, founder of natural Woodspirits soaps. 'But the problem with most soaps is that their pH level is alkaline, which upsets the skin's natural acidic mantle, exposing it to dehydration and environmental attack.' Add to that the fact that soap doesn't have the same oils as cleansers to dissolve make-up and you may think it's high time to choose a lotion or water-based cleanser instead.

How to break the habit:
    • Buy specially designed soaps for your face which are basically cleansers in bar format. Try Dermalogica's The Bar, £12; Clinique's Facial Soaps, £8.50 (in three different strengths); or Shiseido's Gentle Cleansing Soap, £16.

2. Do you over-exfoliate?

Exfoliating can be addictive, no question. 'You see an instant result from exfoliation which is what everyone wants in today's high pressure society,' asserts Sally Penford, education manager at the International Dermal Institute. Your skin will glow and feel soft - plus any after-treatments, such as masks, are better absorbed.

Warning signs: patchy dry areas on the face, redness, irritation, skin tautness and occasional breakouts.

How to break the habit:
    • Cut down on exfoliating time - once or twice a week is perfectly adequate for most skin types
    • Switch to a more gentle formula that uses enzymes and natural plant extracts to shift dead skin cells without the need for harsh scrubbing or AHAs.

'There's a new generation of exfoliators that loosen the cohesion of dead skin cells at the surface through very gentle, mild formulas,' says Penford. These include Dermalogica's Daily Microfoliant, £26.95; Guinot Gommage Biologique Gentle Face Exfoliator, £20; and Decleor Phytopeel Natural Exfoliating Cream, £19.25.

3. Do you skip using toner?

How many of us make a habit of cleansing and moisturising but miss out that important middle step - toning? 'Out of every 10 women I see, six have clogged pores because they're not using a toner,' says Noella Gabrielle, Elemis's director of treatment development. 'Only a toner can ensure all traces of grime are removed from the skin after cleansing.

How to break the habit:
    • Try using a toner for a few weeks and you'll soon notice that your skin feels fresher and brighter. This should be enough of an incentive to make you want to continue using one.

Toners help the skin to absorb a moisturiser more readily and remove any leftover traces of cleanser. What's more, they can also act as exfoliators and purifiers too. Try Molton Brown's Gentle Exfoliating Toner, £16; Liz Earle Instant Boost Skin Tonic, £8.75; or Origins United State Balancing Tonic, £12.50.

4. Do you sleep in your make-up?

When you get home late, the last thing you want to bother with is taking off your make-up. This may be forgiveable every now and then - but don't make a habit of it or your skin and eyes will suffer.

Warning signs:
    • Mascara can flake off leading to itchy, bloodshot whites of your eyes and at worst, eye infection
    • Your lips will get dry and flaky, particularly if you use long-lasting lipstick formulas
    • Skin will look dull and start to suffer from breakouts because dirt collected during the day has not been removed from your pores

How to break the habit:
    • Switch to a lotion-based cleanser that you remove with cotton wool - once you've seen how much dirt comes off your skin at the end of the day, you'll never go to bed in your make-up again!`Try Nivea Visage Gentle Cleansing Lotion, £3.95.

Dr Daniel Maes, Vice President of Research and Development for Estée Lauder points out that night time is when your skin benefits the most from a really good moisturiser. 'At night, the skin's cells are much more active and adopt a specific repair process, preparing your skin for the challenges of the day ahead,' he says. Try using a really delicious night cream, such as Estée Lauder's Advanced Night Repair, £29 or Olay Total Effects Intensive Overnight Treatment, £19.50.

5. Do you pick or squeeze spots?

However tempting it is, never, ever pick, squeeze or mess with a spot, and don't let beauty therapists do so either. As Professor Nicholas Lowe states in his book Skin Secrets (Collins & Brown, £14.99): 'Never squeeze spots: doing so can rupture the follicular wall and increase the chance of scarring.'

How to break the habit:
    • However pustular the head of the spot may be, it will only last longer if you fiddle with it. And touching the area continually can lead to the spots spreading elsewhere. The best way to deal with acne is to keep the infected area scrupulously clean and cut down on excess sebum. Try ranges such as Epure, from £6.50; Neutrogena, from £1.99; and Quinoderm, who have set up an advice line and website for women suffering from acne.
    • Using spot treatments at night will also make you less likely to worry about them during the day - Matis's Mandarin Paste, £21.38 is great for drying out and purifying the nastiest of blemishes overnight.
    icircle.com

See also
    How to fake flawless skin
    Concealing spots: Expert tips
    Last edited by MaryJane; April 1st, 2006 at 08:19 AM.

Default Re: How to beat bad skin habits

Thanks MaryJane, thats a good thread.

I think I might be guilty of over-exfoliating and never use toner, but I can't believe people use regular body-soap to wash their face with. I would never do that.

SVZ

'There's a new generation of exfoliators that loosen the cohesion of dead skin cells at the surface through very gentle, mild formulas,' says Penford. These include Dermalogica's Daily Microfoliant, £26.95; Guinot Gommage Biologique Gentle Face Exfoliator, £20; and Decleor Phytopeel Natural Exfoliating Cream, £19.25.
    dermalogica daily microfoliant is goooorgeous. but so expensive

I've also posted 2 other articles

How to fake flawless skin
    Concealing spots: Expert tips

Come on, some spots are just begging to be squeezed!!!
    Nope.

pretending to be a lurker but I'm not quiet enough

^^ lol, yea I can't help it sometimes but sigh I do have some acne scars because of it when I not only squeezed but scratched some out during dumb and stupid teenage years...

I'm kinda addicted to exfoliating so I better go easy on that. And yes use a toner girls!! I have a toner poll on this forum somewhere, too.

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

Strangely enough I follow all those simple rules anyhow except get lazy with using toner each day. Sometimes I do and sometimes I don't. And yep the odd pimple just itches to be picked!

Thread Information