Thread: L'Oreal buys Body Shop

pretending to be a lurker but I'm not quiet enough

Default L'Oreal buys Body Shop

British cosmetics retailer Body Shop agrees to takeover by France's L'Oreal
    Posted 3/21/2006

LONDON (AP) - Body Shop International PLC, the British retailer that promotes natural-based cosmetics, has agreed to be taken over by L'Oreal SA of France in a cash deal worth 652 million pounds ($1.14 billion US).
    Body Shop will retain its separate identity and current management, the companies said Friday.
    "A partnership between our companies makes perfect sense," said L'Oreal chairman and CEO Lindsay Owen-Jones. "Combining L'Oreal's expertise and knowledge of international markets with The Body Shop's distinct culture and values will benefit both companies."
    He said the company does not plan to close any stores or make job cuts.
    Body Shop was founded 30 years ago in Brighton, England, by Anita and Gordon Roddick, and there are now more than 2,000 stores around the world.
    The Roddicks stepped down from managing the company in 2002, but have remained as non-executive directors and stand to bank around 117 million pounds ($204 million) from their 18 per cent stake.
    Anita Roddick, who will retain her current role as a consultant, said the company's values would not change.
    "I don't see it as selling out," she said. "L'Oreal has displayed visionary leadership in wanting to be an authentic advocate and supporter of our values."
    But criticism of the deal came Friday over the linkup between Body Shop, known for products that aren't tested on animals, and L'Oreal, which has yet to ban animal testing.
    "It's ironic that a company well known for its anti-animal testing stance should sell out to one that tests on animals and which has yet to show its commitment to any ethical issues at all," said Ruth Rosselson of Ethical Consumer magazine.
    Anita Roddick said Body Shop is about more than just animal testing and that a benefit to joining with L'Oreal is that Body Shop will be able to teach L'Oreal about issues such as "community trade, which is the best poverty eradicator in the world."
    Owen-Jones also said L'Oreal wouldn't be able to stop animal testing overnight, but it does have the long-term plan of "joining Body Shop on the issue."
    L'Oreal, which makes Maybelline mascara, Lancome skin cream and Armani and Ralph Lauren fragrances, is paying 300 pence ($5.25) per share for Body Shop, a premium of 34.2 per cent over the share price on Feb. 21, the day before takeover speculation appeared in the media.
    Steve Davies, a retail analyst at Numis Securities Ltd., said that considering the "public market doesn't value the retail business that highly," it would be difficult for Body Shop to reach this sort of price level on its own.
    Body Shop's shares rose 10.3 per cent to 295.5 pence ($5.17) on the London Stock Exchange. L'Oreal shares gained 0.5 per cent to 74.95 euros ($90.61) in Paris.
    The Body Shop has in recent years moved toward the luxury end of the cosmetics market to avoid direct competition with supermarket and drugstore mass merchandisers such as Tesco PLC in Britain and Wal-Mart Stores Inc. in the United States.
    Body Shop reported a profit of 27 million pounds ($47 million) in 2005, up from 21.7 million pounds a year earlier. It had sales of 419 million pounds ($733 million), up from 381.1 million pounds in 2004.
    L'Oreal reported a 2005 net profit of $2.35 billion, down 50 per cent from the previous year when it was boosted by a major one-time gain. Revenue rose 6.5 per cent to $17.3 billion.
    The offer is conditional upon required regulatory clearances. L'Oreal said it expects the acquisition to help earnings per share after Dec. 31.

News from © The Canadian Press
    http://finance.sympatico.msn.ca/cont...her/P39479.asp

I kinda feel a little dissapointed...I agree with that irony (where I bolded)

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

Default Re: L'Oreal buys Body Shop

I don't buy from either any more, so... But I agree with you moomies, it's disappointing.
    Nope.

I went shopping today and bought 2 jars of body butter from them
    They had a 2 for $30 deal and I got suckered.

Got coconut and mango.

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

A*O

Oh yeah! The Body Shop coconut body butter is fab. People ask what that 'gorgeous smell' is. Shallow but true. I plan to keep buying it until those bastards at L'Oreal start clubbing baby coconuts to death.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Oh I know, it smells so delish!! Now I'm tempted to buy their other coconut goodies! Maybe I shoulda gotten the coconut body scrub instead of mango body butter...

What's with big companies buying ethical/natural product companies lately? Colgate just bought Tom's of Maine. In both cases, the buyer claims that the purchased company's values won't change. Ticks me off.

"The howling backwoods that is IMDB is where film criticism goes to die (and then have its corpse gang-raped, called a racist, and accused of supporting Al-Qaeda)" ----Sean O'Neal, The Onion AV Club

Not to be a party pooper, but...

MISLEADING THE PUBLIC
    Natural products? - The Body Shop give the impression that their products are made from mostly natural ingredients [22]. In fact like all big cosmetic companies they make wide use of non-renewable petrochemicals, synthetic colours, fragrances and preservatives [23], and in many of their products they use only tiny amounts of botanical-based ingredients [24]. Some experts have warned about the potential adverse effects on the skin of some of the synthetic ingredients [25]. The Body Shop also regularly irradiate certain products to try to kill microbes - radiation is generated from dangerous non-renewable uranium which cannot be disposed of safely [26].

Helping animals? - Although the Body Shop maintain that they are against animal testing [27], they do not always make clear that many of the ingredients in their products have been tested on animals by other companies [28], causing much pain and suffering to those animals. They accept ingredients tested on animals before 1991, or those tested since then (if they were animal-tested for some purpose other than for cosmetics) [29]. There continue to be concerns about the enforcement of their policy [30]. Also, some Body Shop items contain animal products such as gelatine (crushed bone) [31].
    The whole article on http://www.mcspotlight.org/beyond/companies/bs_ref.html
    Nope.

Now I only buy certified organic + not tested on animals + no mineral oil + no chemical preservatives products. It takes some time until you find the right products for you, but they do exist and are not really more expensive.
    Nope.

Quote Originally Posted by Barbara
    Now I only buy certified organic + not tested on animals + no mineral oil + no chemical preservatives products. It takes some time until you find the right products for you, but they do exist and are not really more expensive.
    That sounds like a good idea. Yea mineral oil ain't too good for your skin, clogs pores n stuff.

I don't like Body Shop products. To natural for me, or something. I am not a big fan of L'Oréal either. Except for Elnett. (L)

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyMix
    The only lotion I have been getting for some time now is "Kiss My Face" products. Good, good stuff. Really works well for my sensitive with a tendency for dryness skin. I highly recommend the "Filthy Rich" moisturizer.

http://www.kissmyface.com/Category/K...+Moisturizers/

you can find their products at most health stores and even some regular grocery stores in their organic aisle.

LOVE IT!
    Kiss my Face products still contain known toxins and animal tested ingredients which are outsourced.

SVZ

Default The Body Shop bought by L'Oreal...will they still remain cruelty free?

http://thebeautybrains.com

Earlier in the year we discussed on The Beauty Brains the recent buy out of The Body Shop by cosmetic giant L’Oreal. Well, six months later the founder is still defending herself against claims of being a sell-out. Company found Anita Roddick continues to hold the belief that she did the right thing and that L’Oreal is an honorable company.

The main issue, L’Oreal continues to test their cosmetic products on animals. The Body Shop had a strong anti-animal testing reputation, so it would seem that the two companies couldn’t mix. But this is business. Money is ultimately the most important for all companies. Anita says she ultimately sold the company because she didn’t want to die rich. She preferred to do something constructive with the money. Well, we’ll keep an eye on Anita and see what constructive thing she does with the hundreds of millions of dollars she received from the sale.

This paradox is what happens when a company tries to claim it is “morally superior” to the rest of the industry. The truth is The Body Shop claimed they didn’t test on animals. The only reason they could say this is because they used ingredients that other people had tested on animals. As we’ve said before, companies that say they don’t test on animals are not telling you the truth. Animal testing is still being done in this industry and will be until there are suitable alternatives. Cosmetic companies can not legally sell products that are not safe. The only way they can prove they are safe is to have data from animal testing to show they are.

Right now, no matter what anyone has told you, there are no acceptable alternatives to some animal testing. If you are really ethically bothered by animal testing you better stop using cosmetics or start making your own.

Animal testing is mostly a waste of time. Why do products that have been around for decades still test on animals?

Elite Member

i wiswh they wouldn't test make-up on animals..i use make-up every day and it bothers me that they do this...

Thread Information