Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Seborrheic Dermatitis treatments?

Default Seborrheic Dermatitis treatments?

Has anyone else ever have to deal with ths condition? I tend to get it in my scalp, and it makes me itch and I get scabs and flakes all over it. If I grow my hair out too much, it drives me nuts, so I tend to keep my hair very short, almost bald to let my scalp "breathe" - I usually ask for a close shave when I'm at the barber shop, but my barber cut it WAY too short this weekend, so I can see patches of dermatitis all over my head. I've been wearing hats or hoodies, because they look bad. My mom has this condition too (I've read it's hereditary), and she's suggested Tea Tree Oil and Paul Mitchell shampoo with tea tree oil. I already use a medicated shampoo with Salicylic Acid in it, or I switch it with Coal Tar Shampoo (i.e., T-Gel). I may have to go to a dermatologist for something stronger.

Anyone else have this condition? Any suggestions on any shampoos or home remedies? I've had it on and off since I was a child, and it's REALLY annoying.
    Posted from my iPhone

Seborrhoeic dermatitis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Might want to give that a look and try some anti yeast/anti fungal stuff.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

I guess this would be worth a try- I once read that for scalp trouble pour full strength Lavoris (mouthwash) on it & let it sit. I forgot for how long, but something in it is supposed to help.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Quote Originally Posted by hustle4alivin View Post
    Has anyone else ever have to deal with ths condition? I tend to get it in my scalp, and it makes me itch and I get scabs and flakes all over it. If I grow my hair out too much, it drives me nuts, so I tend to keep my hair very short, almost bald to let my scalp "breathe" - I usually ask for a close shave when I'm at the barber shop, but my barber cut it WAY too short this weekend, so I can see patches of dermatitis all over my head. I've been wearing hats or hoodies, because they look bad. My mom has this condition too (I've read it's hereditary), and she's suggested Tea Tree Oil and Paul Mitchell shampoo with tea tree oil. I already use a medicated shampoo with Salicylic Acid in it, or I switch it with Coal Tar Shampoo (i.e., T-Gel). I may have to go to a dermatologist for something stronger.

Anyone else have this condition? Any suggestions on any shampoos or home remedies? I've had it on and off since I was a child, and it's REALLY annoying.
    Posted from my iPhone
    I got it on my chest a few years ago. I cut back on yeast products and stopped drinking alcohol. Had to give up booze for other medical reasons, but that helped me. I also applied tea tree oil to the affected areas.

I hope something works for you hustle4alivin. it's not a pleasant condition at all.
    Good luck getting a cat to do anything let alone join in on your sexcapades. - Air Quotes

SVZ

use nizoral!

I'll try the Lavoris and see if that works. I know that Salicylic Acid can be considered an antifungal agent, and it calms the irritation down quite a bit.

I'm not much of a drinker, and I'll examine my diet a bit more to figure out if that's a trigger.

I bought some tea tree oil and put it on my scalp, so I'll see how that works.

I'll definitely add Nizoral to my shopping list.
    Posted from my iPhone
    What Kind of Welfare, Witchcraft Hocus Pocus Hoedown is this?!

Quote Originally Posted by hustle4alivin View Post
    I'll try the Lavoris and see if that works. I know that Salicylic Acid can be considered an antifungal agent, and it calms the irritation down quite a bit.

I'm not much of a drinker, and I'll examine my diet a bit more to figure out if that's a trigger.

I bought some tea tree oil and put it on my scalp, so I'll see how that works.

I'll definitely add Nizoral to my shopping list.
    Posted from my iPhone
    And look at how many yeast products you consume.
    Good luck getting a cat to do anything let alone join in on your sexcapades. - Air Quotes

I've been reading up on skin conditions and for seborrheic dermatitis, lots of sources recommend cutting down on sugar and refined flour, as well as alcohol (though I see that's not much of a problem for you). Apparently some think it all may be related to an overgrowth of yeast (candida) in the body.

But let us know what works for you, my sister has this same thing and hasn't found anything that makes a big difference.

If you eat much bread, freeze it first to kill the yeast action. My allergist told me that one.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Hustle - I got some Nizerol for MrN. He had something similar & it worked very well but he stops using it & after a few weeks it's back.
    I found that Body Shop Teatree shampoo was great for allergic/eczema/dandruff plus it keeps head lice away. Stinks though.
    Free Charmed.

Quote Originally Posted by Novice View Post
    Hustle - I got some Nizerol for MrN. He had something similar & it worked very well but he stops using it & after a few weeks it's back.
    I found that Body Shop Teatree shampoo was great for allergic/eczema/dandruff plus it keeps head lice away. Stinks though.
    Thanks Novice. It has calmed down quite a bit, but I do have my flareups. I am still using the shampoo I mentioned earlier plus the tea tree oil. I'm almost out of it, so I'll be buying Nizorol next.
    Posted from my iPhone
    What Kind of Welfare, Witchcraft Hocus Pocus Hoedown is this?!

That's great news Hustle (that it's working), I have such a love/hate thing with teatree, it is such a great oil, but oh! The smell!!!

Nizerol is what the pharmacist recommended for MrN, he had these big flakes, as big as a 5 cent piece, I've never seen anything like it. It cleared it up very quickly and if he'd follow the instructions it would stay away. They though it was some kind of fungal infection or reaction to the oil...

Good luck with it!
    Free Charmed.

JDB
    Bronze Member

Seborrheic Dermatitis is not a disease. It is a symptom of something happening inside of your body and you can fix it. That is worth repeating: You can fix it. And you can be free of it forever. Despite what you have heard/read, it is not some sort of magical disease that has manifested itself out of thin air that will cause you a lifetime of discomfort and embarrassment. I'm sure, at this point, you have read many a person's background and how they have personally dealt with SD, so I will just get to the important stuff and leave my personal experience out of this. Please, by all means - get to helping yourself!!!! But, yes, I had SD. And after researching and researching (and researching) it, I was legitimately scared. You don't have to be. This is the first time in my 30 years that I have ever posted anything in a forum, and it's only because I realize how daunting SD can be. How scared and helpless one can feel when they are trying to understand what is happening to them and what it's like to be told that this is a lifelong condition. It is not.

Seborrheic Dermatitis is a skin disorder. Your skin is the largest organ of your body. SD is your body's way waving a red flag and letting you know that something is wrong inside of your body. You can rub and scrub and do anything you'd like, but that's not going to fix the problem inside of your body.

Pardon me, but I must draw this analogy: When your car's engine is not performing properly, you don't rub oil on your engine. You diagnose it and see what needs to be done internally. Just the same, you can't rub SD away. You can, however, figure out what is going on inside of your body that needs to be changed.

It is either one of two things: food allergy or environmental allergy. I believe most people probably fall under the food allergy category. Google "food allergy seborrheic dermatitis." If this has been a lifelong condition, then you may very well have a gluten or casein (cow's milk protein) allergy. Because who doesn't eat a sandwich (bread=gluten, cheese=casein) or drink milk (casein) everyday? Also, many people develop food allergies during adulthood (myself included). So this whole time, while you've been administering steroids, salicylic acid, pyrithione zinc, or whatever the hell to the outside of your body - you've been putting something into your body that is exacerbating your SD. It could be anything from gluten, dairy, fish (me), onion, tomatoes, garlic, lemon, etc. Would giving up bread and beer suck? Absolutely! Would giving up milk and cheese suck? Of course! But I would venture to guess, that at this point in your search, if you have somehow stumbled across my post, you would do just about anything to rid yourself of this condition. Because nothing sucks more than SD. So fix it.

Please get an IgE food allergy test. If you google it, I'm sure you will be able to find a clinic that offers this service in your area. I found a place called (some name that Twitchy deleted) that did it for $150 and they have something like 1700 locations across the country. I don't want to post a link for fear that it might be removed (and you may be able to find a place that offers this service for less). But just get it done because it is worth it. Please feel free to copy/paste my post if it helped you. That's my only intention. Best wishes!

Here is a list of the top 10 food allergens:

1. Dairy
    2. Eggs
    3. Fish
    4. Peanuts
    5. Tree nuts (walnuts, almonds, cashews, pecans, etc)
    6. Sesame
    7. Shellfish and other seafood
    8. Soy
    9. Wheat
    10. Gluten
    Last edited by twitchy2.0; December 31st, 2012 at 08:19 AM.
    hustle4alivin likes this.

Oh hai there!

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

That does make sense,JDB.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information