Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Do you look bigger in pictures than in real life?

If I was up your ass you'd know where I am!

Default Do you look bigger in pictures than in real life?

I do. I'm petite w/an hourglass figure and athletic build : busty, small waist, strong arms and legs. Think Kim K type. My Levi's are size 4 and I'm happy with my size and frame. However, when I look at pictures of myself they always seem to make me look fuller all over. I know the camera adds 10 lbs but I don't notice this happens to everyone else. It's getting on my nerves. I hate to feel like I have to 'pose' from a certain angle to make sure my pics come out good, or else have unflattering pics of myself on someone's Facebook page or photo album. Most people tell me I'm photogenic but I've learned how to show my 'good side' in facial photographs. We're taking lots of pics lately and it's getting on my nerves.
    Only the good die young.........................
    bitches like me live forever!!!!!!!!!!!!

God, yes. The camera always catches my face at a bad angle and makes it look much fatter than it really is.

Depends on the lens being used.. cell phones, webcams, and point & shoot cameras tend to have somewhat wide angle lenses which distort what they see and make people look bigger than they are by about 10 lbs or more. The closer you get to them, the worse the distortion.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

How tall are you? The height of the camera can drastically affect things.
    KILLING ME WON'T BRING BACK YOUR GOD DAMNED HONEY!!!!!!!!!!

Come on, let's have lots of drinks.

Fuck you all, I'm going viral.

Quote Originally Posted by crumpet View Post
    I do. I'm petite w/an hourglass figure and athletic build : busty, small waist, strong arms and legs. Think Kim K type. My Levi's are size 4 and I'm happy with my size and frame. However, when I look at pictures of myself they always seem to make me look fuller all over. I know the camera adds 10 lbs but I don't notice this happens to everyone else. It's getting on my nerves. I hate to feel like I have to 'pose' from a certain angle to make sure my pics come out good, or else have unflattering pics of myself on someone's Facebook page or photo album. Most people tell me I'm photogenic but I've learned how to show my 'good side' in facial photographs. We're taking lots of pics lately and it's getting on my nerves.
    The first few lines would make a great personal ad.

As Grimmlok alluded to, cameras that are set to wide-angle (less than 55 mm) have an effect called barrel distortion, which can bend the corners of the photo inward, while making the center look larger. Below is a photo taken with a 5 mm lens:

The key is to make sure you are only photographed by cameras that have a "pincushioning flaw", which is the opposite effect. This happens with zoom lenses, typically. So, what you will want to do, when everyone is taking pictures, is force the person to stand 50 feet or so away from you, and then zoom WAY in to get the photo. It should make result in something like below:

Quote Originally Posted by Just Kill Me View Post
    How tall are you? The height of the camera can drastically affect things.
    I'm 5 ft 3.

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    The first few lines would make a great personal ad.

As Grimmlok alluded to, cameras that are set to wide-angle (less than 55 mm) have an effect called barrel distortion, which can bend the corners of the photo inward, while making the center look larger. Below is a photo taken with a 5 mm lens:

The key is to make sure you are only photographed by cameras that have a "pincushioning flaw", which is the opposite effect. This happens with zoom lenses, typically. So, what you will want to do, when everyone is taking pictures, is force the person to stand 50 feet or so away from you, and then zoom WAY in to get the photo. It should make result in something like below:

LOL, I was only trying to say I don't have an eating disorder of body dysmorphia which is why I made a point of saying the overall I'm pleased with a body I work hard to maintain. Most of the time we are using disposable waterproof cameras since we are on vacation around lots of water.

I'm 5 ft 3.

LOL, I was only trying to say I don't have an eating disorder of body dysmorphia which is why I made a point of saying the overall I'm pleased with a body I work hard to maintain. Most of the time we are using disposable waterproof cameras since we are on vacation around lots of water.
    It's interesting you mention that, Crumpet. One of my wife's least-favorite photos of herself was from an underwater camera that was used outside the water. Those disposable cameras are usually set to at least 800 ASA, have a fixed focus, and are wide angle. All the bad elements are there -- 800 ASA would make you look more pale/pasty/undefined - which is almost never good. Wide angle could make you look bigger.

Oh man Crumpet you sound like my TWIN except I'm only 5'0" which makes things even worse! I HATE the way I look in pictures, but I LOVE the way I look in the mirror. I call it body euphoric disorder The way I pose makes such a huge, huge difference in pictures. In real life I'm super-confident and pictures make me feel so freaking insecure. I'm also a size 2/4 and I have 34C boobs and an hourglass figure. I am absolutely positive that since people shoot downwards with me, it squashes me and makes me look stumpy. It's awful! I always tell my husband "don't post that!" and he's all "everyone knows what you look like in real life." But I hate that people who don't know me have access to pictures that make me look stumpy and/or fat when I'm not! Shallow, I know. We just got back from vacation and I almost cried when I saw the pics, I asked him "how come you didn't tell me I gained weight!" and he made me stand in front of the mirror in my bra and undies and tell me where in the hell I have fat. I am one of the least photogenic people ever, I tell you. It must be our body type combined with being petite I hate Facebook for this fucking reason!
    Women ain't gonna let a thing like sense fuck up their argument. - Chris Rock

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

Quote Originally Posted by january View Post
    I am absolutely positive that since people shoot downwards with me, it squashes me and makes me look stumpy.
    That is exactly it. We call my little sister "paparazzi" because she is always snapping photos and usually when you don't want them taken. She also has some twisted eyesight that thinks the most unflattering photos are flattering. You would be amazed at how much you would like photos of yourself when you work with someone that knows what they are doing.
    KILLING ME WON'T BRING BACK YOUR GOD DAMNED HONEY!!!!!!!!!!

Come on, let's have lots of drinks.

Fuck you all, I'm going viral.

Quote Originally Posted by january View Post
    Oh man Crumpet you sound like my TWIN except I'm only 5'0" which makes things even worse! I HATE the way I look in pictures, but I LOVE the way I look in the mirror. I call it body euphoric disorder The way I pose makes such a huge, huge difference in pictures. In real life I'm super-confident and pictures make me feel so freaking insecure. I'm also a size 2/4 and I have 34C boobs and an hourglass figure. I am absolutely positive that since people shoot downwards with me, it squashes me and makes me look stumpy. It's awful! I always tell my husband "don't post that!" and he's all "everyone knows what you look like in real life." But I hate that people who don't know me have access to pictures that make me look stumpy and/or fat when I'm not! Shallow, I know. We just got back from vacation and I almost cried when I saw the pics, I asked him "how come you didn't tell me I gained weight!" and he made me stand in front of the mirror in my bra and undies and tell me where in the hell I have fat. I am one of the least photogenic people ever, I tell you. It must be our body type combined with being petite I hate Facebook for this fucking reason!
    That is eerie that we are soooo similar on this. i can relate to Pamela Anderson when she said she is disappointed when she sees pics of herself because she is so much hotter in her mind, lol. I will have pics taken when I know I am looking good with a hot ass dress and everything...getting checked out and complimented left and right.....then I look at the goddamned picture and wonder who stuck the carnival fun house mirror in front of the lens when the picture was taken!!!

fgg

I will have pics taken when I know I am looking good with a hot ass dress and everything...getting checked out and complimented left and right.....then I look at the goddamned picture and wonder who stuck the carnival fun house mirror in front of the lens when the picture was taken!!!
    haha - me too! i happen to be one of those people who are not photogenic. i seriously hate when people post pics on facebook where i look like total hell and tag me. as soon as i get those notices, i go and quick check to see if i need to untag them. regardless, they're still floating around the fb space.

i happen to have several of those 00 friends so at 5'7 and ~120 lbs, i end up looking like a monster.

I always end up looking like a bloated mess

Quote Originally Posted by PinkCadillac View Post
    I always end up looking like a bloated mess
    Me too. My face always manages to look fat, my glasses end up looking way too small for my face. I've usually detested about every photo I've ever seen myself in.

Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

i think it's due to the fact that most people don't know how to take pictures, combined with crappy lenses on compact cameras which tend to distort - they get the job done but they will 'squash' you somewhat - and the shorter (and curvier) you are the jumore it will be noticeable. my advice: invest in a proper camera (a beginner slr like the canon rebel t1i)
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

A*O

They say the camera adds 10lbs.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information