Thread: Microdermabrasion for me?

Default Microdermabrasion for me?

My face for the most part is clear. But I get these little pimple like bumps under the surface of my skin. They don't usually amount to much but they make my face look awful. Plus my skin has gotten a little dull over the winter. My question is, would an at home version of microdermabrasion be the way to go? Or are there any other suggestions? (not extremely expensive suggestions) I've used every type of acne stuff available at the drug store (for uncomplicated acne) but my skin is a bit sensitive and a bit dry so I have to be careful.
    Most of us die with our music still inside

Default Re: Microdermabrasion for me?

I know people who go tanning, and who swear by it. They don't actually get TAN, they just do it to see some sunlight (sad you have to pay for it sometimes) and because it helps their skin. They go like 1, maybe 2 times a week, for like 2 months..nothing major. It's not good for you though either, but my one friend swears it clears up her skin issues. She might be just totally fucking insane, but whatever.

If you do get Microdermabrasion, definitely let us know how it goes and what it was like, results, etc.

Well I was thinking of getting the Oil of Olay Microdermabrasion & Peel kit. I've just read up on it and it's sensitive enough to use twice a week. Plus it's not overly expensive. I've heard about the tanning thing too. It's an interesting concept. I know people who go to "cure" their dry skin.
    Most of us die with our music still inside

My kids use to go tan for their breakouts when they were teens. Seemed like it helped. I wasn't crazy about them tanning their faces but it helped clear their acne so it was worth it.

Bronze Member

As someone who just turned 41, I just have to say: DO NOT TAN YOUR FACE!
    I never got much sun growing up but I did tan when I was in my 20's and boy do I regret it now. I can't believe how wrinkled I am. For bumps, I would go with the microdermabrasion or maybe some retin-a (if you can get a prescription for it) to bring those bumps to the surface.

Again, all you young women--do not tan the face! You'll thank me later

I agree Ruby. Actually my kids only tanned maybe 3 times total trying to clear their acne. I tanned when I was young and I'm paying for it now. I've been getting light peels for a couple of years now trying to get rid of the dark patches (forget what the medical term is) although I've been wearing a sun screen and visor when I go out in the sun for 20 years now. The dermatologist I go to for the peels has a light she uses for acne, but it's quite expensive. The peels have been great in clearing my skin up. They've helped bring some underlying acne to the surface too.

Silver Member

Products sold over the counter seem affordable, but by the time you have tried a few of them you could find yourself spending alot of money on products that are sitting in your cabinet rotting. Bumps under your skin could be caused by your diet or an allergic reaction to a chemical in your makeup or even the products that you have been using to combat them. I am allergic to parabens. Many people are. Methyl Paraben, Butyl Paraben and the others that are in most every cosmetic product and soaps (Dove is free of parabens) cause rashes and other eruptions in certain people. A patch test by a certified dermatologist will show if this is your problem. Check it out. Once you know the cause you can better combat the problem.

Thread Information