Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Meet the woman who spends $47k a year on her hair

Default Meet the woman who spends $47k a year on her hair

This woman spends $47,000 a year on her hair
    Meet the women paying a hefty price for the city’s most expensive hair extensions.

Statuesque blonde Brandi Irwin, 28, sits in the salon chair, her long legs crossed, a pair of silver Louboutins dangling from her manicured toes. Behind her, a hairstylist tends to her locks with the precision of a Persian rug weaver.

The stylist plucks a silky bundle of hair from a nearby table and presses it against one of Irwin’s natural locks, squeezing the two pieces together at the root with what looks like a pair of hot pliers. And voila! The tendril has suddenly sprouted an extra 24 inches.

That’s one hair extension done — 250,000 strands (and nine more hours of work) to go.
    Imogen Brown (2)
    Brandi Irwin usually has shoulder-length hair (left), but to get her mermaid mane she pays $30,000 for extensions plus extras.

Welcome to Gemini 14 on 14th Street near the West Village, home to the city’s most expensive hair extensions — which cost $10,000 a pop. Irwin has hers put in three times a year. Add to that her color sessions every six weeks at about $300 per appointment and $65 blowouts twice a week and she’s forking out roughly $47,000 a year to achieve her Rapunzel-like mane (including tips). In short, what most of us would pay for a car, Irwin blows on her crowning glory — every year.

“It’s my biggest expense,” says Irwin, a former-model-turned-foot-model and photographer from Park Slope. “But it makes me feel beautiful. And I’ve worked hard for what I have.”

Plus, she says, her parents invested in “some very profitable stocks, metals and things,” when she was young — meaning her family’s helping to foot the bill.

Irwin began lengthening her hair about six years ago when she worked as a fashion model. Since then, she’s become addicted. “I couldn’t believe it when I first saw myself with the extensions. It was the hair I’d always wanted, and it looked so real,” she says, stretching her long arms. The knuckles of her left hand are tattooed with the word “POSH” in black Gothic-style letters.

Gemini 14 salon co-owner Kristina Barricelli says the extensions are worth the price. Made from “virgin” hair donated by Indian women to Hindu temples as part of a religious offering, the strands are de-pigmented using a special “osmosis” process untouched by chemicals, leaving the hair as pure as possible.

Also, Barricelli says the hair company she buys from, Great Lengths, uses a keratin protein polymer bond to adhere the extensions, so they last longer, cause less damage and look more natural than brands that use tar, silicone and glues. The Great Lengths treatment lasts up to six months, she says, while ordinary procedures last significantly shorter and only look fresh for a month or so. Miley Cyrus and Broadway bombshell Kristin Chenoweth are both devotees of Barricelli’s extensions.

“It’s the Rolls-Royce of hair extensions,” says Barricelli. “Look, I don’t want anyone to mortgage their house for their hair. But if you can afford it, it’s the best you can buy. You’re guaranteed a perfect match with your hair color, with the best quality hair you can find.”

Dozens of other New York salons use the same hair extensions as Barricelli, but no one charges five figures. Most cost about $3,000, says Barricelli, adding she’s one of the most experienced practitioners of hair lengthening in the US — she’s been working with extensions for 10 years — and her prices reflect that.

Only about a dozen of Barricelli’s clients pay the full 10 grand for their hair. About 100 more come in for lesser lengths at lower prices.

But makeup artist Kate Bazazian wanted the lushest locks money could buy. “If you want to look like a million dollars, you have to spend 10 grand,” says Bazazian, 27. “If you spend 50 bucks, you’re going to look like you spent that. The cheap route will show.”

Bazazian had never been able to grow her coarse red hair past her shoulders. Now, thanks to the magic hands at Gemini 14, she has hair halfway down her back.

The Murray Hill resident spent $20,000 last year on two rounds of full extensions, but she now goes into Gemini 14 every five months for touch-ups at $2,000 a pop. She pays for them with a combination of savings and credit cards, hoping the sexy waves will lure new customers and keep the old ones coming back.

“I feel like it’s an investment in my career,” said Bazazian. “It’s hard for me to justify to my clients that I will be able to make them look beautiful if I don’t look great myself.”

AJ, 28, who won’t give her full name because she doesn’t want to seem “high maintenance,” says she forks over the shocking price to avoid what she calls “the Kate Gosselin effect — when you can see where the hair ends and the extensions begin.” Plus, she says, “It just suits me more. My own flat, thin hair did not go with my personality.”

AJ says her family is in real estate, so they help — but she’ll also skip a bag or some dresses to afford the tresses.

“Don’t get me wrong — I have to budget. But I think it’s a plausible investment that I don’t mind making,” she says.

Back at the salon, it’s now 6 p.m. and Irwin’s mane is nearly finished. As Barricelli and her two sisters — also co-owners of the salon — finish blow-drying her curtain of fresh hair, Irwin unfolds all 5-foot-11 of her body out of the barber chair.

A waterfall of buttery gold unfurls down her back.

Irwin walks out on the street, strutting just a bit. Men stop and stare. They pull out their cellphone cameras, clearly wondering if Irwin is a star. “Is that Paris Hilton?” one guy asks another.

Irwin smiles with satisfaction. “Without the extensions people say, ‘Well, she’s cute,’ ” she says. “You add all this hair and it puts a ‘Who is she?’ factor on me. Without the hair, I’m this normal average person. But with it, I walk around the corner, and it’s like there’s a wind machine on me. It’s like I’ve stepped off the pages of a centerfold.”

Read more: NYC women who pay $10,000 and more for hair extensions - NYPOST.com

I found a few more pics of her. I mean, her hair looks nice but... $47k?! Why not just grow out your own?!

Last edited by Cali; April 11th, 2010 at 04:07 PM.

Her family pays for her hair? Bourgeois cow.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

She's a foot model. No one's hiring her for her face.

The extensions don't even look that good to me.

Could it be FF?.
    As Canadian as possible under the circumstances

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What's traitors, precious?" -- President Gollum

All that money spent and her hair still looks like shit. The extensions aren't even blended properly.

Rock the fuck on!

The knuckles of her left hand are tattooed with the word “POSH” in black Gothic-style letters.
    Looks like "PUSH".
    As Canadian as possible under the circumstances

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What's traitors, precious?" -- President Gollum

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

I saw this for a second yesterday and I just thought "Wow, her hair looks like shit." She is so getting robbed for her Great Lengths.
    KILLING ME WON'T BRING BACK YOUR GOD DAMNED HONEY!!!!!!!!!!

Come on, let's have lots of drinks.

Fuck you all, I'm going viral.

Frivolous Bitch.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

Color me highly unimpressed. I don't think it looks natural; it looks like crap. It's too long and for that kind of money it shouldn't look stringy and fried.

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

I've seen better work done with sewn in tracks bought off of Harwin.
    KILLING ME WON'T BRING BACK YOUR GOD DAMNED HONEY!!!!!!!!!!

Come on, let's have lots of drinks.

Fuck you all, I'm going viral.

Now I am for everyone having their best hair-it does make a real difference. However-this goes way past needed. This is plain crazy.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

1) The extensions look like crap.
    2) She's been getting the extensions for six years- in that time she could have grown her own hair long enough.
    3) When your fashion sense is bad enough to wear a strapless shorts jumper, your hair doesn't matter that much.

She just looks like she's badly in need of a haircut. These stories of excess are just ridiculous.

I would be embarrassed to admit I squandered this much money on my hair or anything beauty related. Then again, I have great hair so maybe I can't understand her pain and need to overcompensate with straggly rapunzel locks.

It's amazing what people will pay to feel "important" or get noticed.
    Last edited by qwerty; April 11th, 2010 at 06:55 PM.

Wow, she pays that much money to look like crap? I can do that for free.

Also, her legs scare me.

Yes, one looks freakishly longer than the other.

Those extensions look silly, too long and damn sure don't look worth what she paid for them.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information