Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Straight hair and Curly hair

Default Straight hair and Curly hair

There are two kinds of people in the world. You know how it goes. Northerners and Southerners. Realists and dreamers. People with curly hair and people with straight hair. “Every classification throws light on something,” said Isaiah Berlin, the political philosopher and elucidator of the distinction between fox people, who know many things, and hedgehog people, who know one big thing.

Ways of classifying people have proliferated on the Web. If you are a fumehead, you may hang out on perfume blogs, shop at FragranceNet.com and believe that all the world can be divided into people who do and people who don’t like the smell of cumin. But if you are hearing of fumeheads for only the first time and confine your Web ramblings to sports sites and Ticketmaster, you may think that people can be divided into those who do and those who don’t care about perfume.

An online group becomes formally classified when it comprises an advertising category. That’s the magic point in e-commerce: when the members of an online group turn eager to purchase, say, tank tops or bottles of sauvignon blanc as badges of membership in communities like the ones that flourish at Burton.com or Wine.com. The voluminous content that these sites produce — blogs, videos, articles, reviews, forums — becomes the main event. To sell actual products, the company then “merchandises” that content, the way museums and concert halls and, increasingly, online newspapers hawk souvenirs, including art books and hoodies and framed front pages.

At the moment when content can be seamlessly merchandised, a group has generally developed robust forums in which the members (hoarders, mothers of twins, bodybuilders) develop codes and hierarchies and a firm notion that this is a place where they can finally be themselves. For most nameable idiosyncrasies, there are places online that will position you in a symbolic order that can, if you commit, double as a nation-state, in which all citizens have in common your idiosyncrasy, your badge of honor, your sin.

Consider the wonderfully successful NaturallyCurly​.com. NaturallyCurly styles itself as a rialto for people with curly hair, and the vigorous participation of advertisers on the site suggests that it has carried off this aspiration. The secret to its success is the elegant and surefire story of lost-and-found souls at the center of it. Many sites that effectively convene subcultures ride this narrative, as the Web, with its seemingly secret and infinite byways, is a perfect place for people who conceive of themselves as marginalized to find homes.

On NaturallyCurly, the lost-and-found story is Blakean: a grand tale of curls repressed, along with the wildness, innocence and ethnic origins those curls stand for. Thanks to the site, the curls are then dramatically regained — though “managed,” it must be said, with a mix of glazes and chemical relaxers and Brazilian blowouts. The site has fun with the contradictions. Curly-headed people, long compelled to straighten their hair to conform to stifling ideas of beauty, now let their freak flags fly . . . or, rather, straighten and “defrizz” them with more enlightened products.

One section of the site asks users to “share your hair biography.” Share they do. Conforming the intimate details of their hairstyles to a given template, they supply a litany of arcane hair stats: curl pattern, texture, porosity, density, elasticity. Under “Techniques that don’t work and why,” a user named SouthernMoss writes: “Icequeen makes too many tangles; extra water in Super Soaker pulls out waves, plopping with heavy materials or for longer than 5 minutes flattens hair and creates weird waves and curls.”

Hair texture, for the site’s many members, defines them as much or more than social class, income, race or even gender. Comb through the site, especially the CurlTalk forums, and you’ll find a vocabulary that seems either startlingly alien or like home. If, in other words, you’ve never thought about your regional dew point and its capacity to cause bad hair days or about whether, in troubled economic times, you can in good conscience do cholesterol treatments — then NaturallyCurly is like another planet. If all this has crossed your mind, Naturally*Curly will seem like a refuge from a callous world.

What a perfectly susceptible state of mind for advertising. Customers come to Naturally*Curly for “information and support,” in the words of one of its founders. But they stay for reviews of hair products and — eventually — purchases from companies that have partnered with the site.

By subduing frizz and taming unruliness, products advertised on NaturallyCurly mediate between the site’s utopian pro-curliness and the demands of the real world. They become a way to stand out and to conform — both irresistible commodities. Every organization willing to radically reconceive itself for the Web should look at NaturallyCurly.com.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My best regional dew point is Los Angeles weather. My hair looks it's best in LA whichever month I visit.

The Medium - Online Marketing - NYTimes.com

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

I have boring hair, it only has some kind of curl/character to it if I don't comb it out after a shower.
    KILLING ME WON'T BRING BACK YOUR GOD DAMNED HONEY!!!!!!!!!!

Come on, let's have lots of drinks.

Fuck you all, I'm going viral.

I'd take boring hair over curls any day.

My hair has been the bane of my existence for years. It's poker straight in some areas and wavy in other areas. I just wish my hair would make up its fucking mind.
    Rock the fuck on!

Thick, long, ringlets. Pain.In.Ass.

Neither straight or curly. Just waves. They're aren't as noticeable when my hair is as dark as it is here. But when my hair is my natural brownish-blonde, they're more obvious.

That's what it looks like naturally. People always ask if i use a curling iron, but I don't have the energy and patience and I hate applying heat to my hair, so I avoid it when i can.

But far out, can I suffer from frizz! It sucks having thick hair too in a hot climate. Out, it feels like a wet, hot towel is on my back.

I wish I had natural silky ringlets like my niece. She wishes she had pin-straight hair like I've got.

I wish I had thick curly hair. I think it's lovely. Anything would be better than the fine straight/ sometimes wavy hair I have.

it took me years to master them (can you say "little orphan annie"? ), but i looove my curls now. they are so easy to care for. i love having hair that is almost wash-and-go.
    white, black, puerto rican/everybody just a freakin'/good times were rollin'.

Hit By Ban Bus!

I used to iron my hair, I used to use hair straighteners, reverse perms, beer cans for curlers, setting gel that took my hair hours to dry. I honestly cried because of my blonde fro, wishing I had long straight hair. It was never under control and if it was humid out my curls became fuzz. Kids can be mean, I got called Brillo head and blonde headed bush bunny in middle school. I became a beautician to learn how to take care of my hair.

Long story short I've never had straight hair, until last year when my daughter took me to a mother/daughter day spa and some dude there whipped out a blow dryer and flat iron and check me out, I had straight hair! I did the Jennifer Aniston hair flip all day long and thought I looked so great.... then I took a good look at myself. There is a reason I don't have straight hair.

I am a naturally curly/wavy haired person and used to hate since it takes me 20 minutes for a blow out but in recent years I dig it. I can just wash and go and voila. Then if I want to go stick straight, I can do it, too.

Mine varies from waves to ringlets, depending on it's mood. I think straight hair is gorgeous, but whirls suit me much better.

I have a ton of corkscrew curls that I love my hair just below my shoulders

Quote Originally Posted by heart_leigh View Post
    My hair has been the bane of my existence for years. It's poker straight in some areas and wavy in other areas. I just wish my hair would make up its fucking mind.
    That's exactly how mine is! It used to be curly, & I liked it, but then straight hair was the thing, so I started flat-ironing it. Fast forward about 5 years, & I want to wear my hair natural again. Well, it totally changed, & is the way that you described your hair. It's so annoying! I finally gave in & got a perm (I was scared to death it would fry my hair, but it didn't) & it looks just like it used to look with my natural curls. Still, I wish I had my natural curls back.

My hair's my biggest pain in the ass.
    I've got very big locks when I just towel it dry after a shower, but as soon as I comb it, it's just plain ugly waves, it looks very unkept, and kinda bushy
    When I wake up it's horrible, I wonder how my boyfriend stands the sight of it :p

I wish I had straight and disciplined hair, mine just seems to do as it wants, it's such a pain in the ass.
    I need a professional hair straightener
    And I don't know, I think, being a redhead, it looks better straight
    Fluctuat nec mergitur
    Paris, Nov 13th

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information