Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree84Likes

Thread: How to fight oily skin

pretending to be a lurker but I'm not quiet enough

Default How to fight oily skin

Some tips I found on reducing oiliness on your skin.

1. Stop that oil! Primrose Oil is an awesome supplement that works in many ways. Not only does it help regulate your hormonal balance (esp. females), but it naturally reduces the production of oil glands! You can buy Primrose Oil capsules at any health/grocery store.

2. Easy blot Here is an easy cure for a shiny, oily face. Blot your
    face with a tissue or a piece of loo paper (which is much more absorbent). Don't rub, only blot (as rubbing will smear your makeup).

3. Been there! If you do use a clay mask, find a mild one and don't overuse it, or you'll end up damaging your skin. Eating fresh fruit, veggies and fish is the real key to beautiful skin!

4. COLD TEA USE A COTTON BALL OR TISSUE TO PUT COLD, UNSWEETEND TEA ON YOU FACE.

5. Excercise Hard Well, I have found that if I run and sweat every day, it really helps lower the production of oil on my skin when I'm not working out.

6. On the phone alot If you like to talk on the phone, you will see that your face might break out more on one side than the other. This is because you leave oil from your face on your phone. After you have been talking for a while (or before you get on for a while) wipe the phone down with the toner you use on your face.

7. Baby Wipes Here, Baby Wipes There... I'm a guy with oily skin, and I keep baby wipes in the car. I'm single and I don't have kids. In the office I have a travel pack of baby wipes in the desk drawer. If I have that "not so fresh" feeling on my face, I just take out a baby wipe and do a little cleanup. I also exercise 1/2 hour to 1 hour per day, making sure that I really sweat. If you also push up GENTLY on your nose during the evenings, oil may drain and you can clean it off your face easily. Exfoliate, use witch hazel, and don't forget to smile...

8. Clean & Clear People with oily skin, look no further! The other day, I discovered the most awesome oil-defeating product - Clean & Clear oil-absorbing sheets. They come in a neat little package for about 3 dollars in almost every drugstore. You mop your face gently with these silky little sheets that don't leave a residue and don't smudge your makeup. They're a little piece of heaven. I love them, and I constantly rave about them. Try it!

9. Oily Skin The best thing I found for my husband's oily skin was Merle Norman's Special Cleansing Bar. It wasn't really soap (which can be bad for your face), but cleaned really well. It's great for people that like the "soap clean feeling." It doesn't leave your skin feeling tight like soap usually does. This cleansing bar is very concentrated and lasts a long time. Be stingy though and use it only on your face. Merle Norman also has a gel for oily skin which was great too. What I liked so well about the cleansing bar was that we both could use it. I have an oily T-zone, but normal skin in other areas. The cleansing bar was balanced so well that it didn't dry out my normal areas. One cleansing bar lasted about 1 year. It was $8.95 a bar. If I remember right, it still is. I guarantee you will love it. My skin has really changed using these products.

10. A tip for all those with oily skin Apply 3 tablespoons of curd mixed with 1 tablespoon of turmeric to your face. Keep it there for 15 minutes and wash your face with cold water. Another thing you could do is to wash your face with green coconut water once a week. It's very effective (this tip can also be followed by people having pimples).

11. Clearasil and OXY I leave a bottle of these in my car, and they work great.

12. Touch-ups for oily skin Your average paper towel (in a public restroom at work or school) works just as well as the more expensive oil blotting beauty papers. The cheap brown paper actually works really well; you'll see an oil imprint on the paper. Since you're not rubbing the paper on your face, it doesn't irritate your skin. A nice free option!

13. Lemon If you've got an oily face problem, I suggest using lemons. Cut a lemon in half or into quarters (depending on your liking), and rub the slices on your face for about a good five minutes. Make sure to close your eyes when you're rubbing it on your forehead, the juices can leak into your eyes! After rubbing the lemon in, leave it on for another five or ten minutes and then wash off with cold water. You'll feel refreshed and the oil problem will go away. With repeated usage your face will look refreshed and you'll get compliments from your friends about how fresh and relaxed you look.

14. Oily skin Try Dr. Hauschka Cleanser, toner and Normalizing Day Oil. It works wonders!

15. Oil blotters Clean and Clear Oil Absorbing sheets contain mineral oil, which isn't hypo-allergenic (meaning mineral oil will clog pores). Unless your skin is very oily, don't use it. Other oil blotters which resemble paper don't contain oil and are safer to use on your skin.

http://www.ehow.com/tips_2194.html

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

Default Re: How to fight oily skin

# 11: I don't see how leaving a bottle of Clearasil in my car will help.

Thanks for sharing the tips moomies! I use clay masks and (stinky) geranium oil
    "Sex is not, by default, depraved and dirty. Unless it's really good."
    morons.org

I have oily skin and it can be a complete pain. The plus side is that we won't wrinkle as much
    sam_h786 likes this.

True, that. However, wouldn't rubbing a lemon on your face really dry it out?!
    2 years...

I use witch hazel and it actually does help. It's cheap too, I can get a large bottle for just a few $$.
    BITTER likes this.
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

A*O

Let me tell you young 'uns that I used to CURSE my oily skin and tried everything you can think of to deal with it, including medication. It still gets a bit shiny in the T-Zone on hot days BUT my skin is almost wrinkle-free, even around the eyes so one day you will bless it, believe me.
    sam_h786 likes this.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

^^Ditto. I'd rather have a little shine than wrinkles. I'd also be careful about using harsh toners and cleansers on oily skin because they can do a lot of damage.

Witch hazel isn't that harsh though, is it? It doesn't burn or feel like it's taking the epidermis off, so I figured it was pretty safe. Then again, most times you get what you pay for.
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

There are days where I could fry an egg on my face. I constantly have to blot. But like y'all said, minimal wrinkling. I use proactiv & don't have breakouts anymore, but I've never found a product that stopped the major oil production, so blot blot blot all day.
    sam_h786 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurent
    Witch hazel isn't that harsh though, is it? It doesn't burn or feel like it's taking the epidermis off, so I figured it was pretty safe. Then again, most times you get what you pay for.
    I've used witchhazel and it's not bad, but it does have some alcohol content. Alcohol is hard on the skin, although if you're really oily, using it once in a while won't hurt. A dermatologist told me that every time you have a blackhead or a zit, dab it with alcohol and it will help dry it up and prevent it from spreading. I do this and I have had fewer breakouts since. I'm talking about a Q-tip here -- not a face pad.

The other thing is to have really clean skin. Most people don't clean their skin thoroughly enough. I've used all kinds of cleansers from expensive to cheap and I now use Cetaphil with great results. Although I have naturally oily skin, never had many breakouts until I got "adult acne" in my late 30s, so I've had to learn all this stuff recently.

pretending to be a lurker but I'm not quiet enough

I feel kind of relieved that I'm not the only one with oily skin and glad to hear the plus side of haivng oily skin = less wrinkles. Yay

I found #7 rather funny, esp the part he says he gets the not so fresh feeling...and also the part he mentions he's single with no kids, I guess he had to justify using babywipes.

7. Baby Wipes Here, Baby Wipes There... I'm a guy with oily skin, and I keep baby wipes in the car. I'm single and I don't have kids. In the office I have a travel pack of baby wipes in the desk drawer. If I have that "not so fresh" feeling on my face, I just take out a baby wipe and do a little cleanup

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

I am grateful for my oily skin. Best moisturizer on earth. I never use soap on my face, just an unscented cleanser.
    The best blotter that won't mess up your makeup, and costs practically nothing...perm end papers! (The little papers they put on the ends of your hair when getting a perm) You can buy a box of 1000 for under 5$. You can get them at any beauty supply store. They are a wonder, just blot!
    Last edited by sprynkles; August 7th, 2006 at 09:41 PM.
    Callalily likes this.

Meryl doesn't even try anymore. She just calls Lanvin and asks for curtains with a belt.~Bitter
    Can we interest you in Leann Rimes? She has a nice little cadre of fans you'd probably enjoy.~ Pecan Pie

Zee

Sprynkles- that's a great little tip. Thanks!
    Drive a car, drive a boat, drive a plane. What does it matter? As long as I'm drunk!
    pəʇɐɔɐɯnpə ɹ ı

Maybe it's just me but I think having oily skin sucks big time. Maybe when I'm in my late 40's or early 50's I'll be happy for minimal wrinkles but I run away from photos because I am embarrassed because of my oily face. So what good is no wrinkles if you never want to be in a photo. I have tried so many products and while those oil blotters work (I get the ones from proactiv) but I have to blot every couple hours. Is there a miracle product that will keep my skin from being oily all day or at least 8 hours or so or am I doomed. I swear with my face in the photo you don't need a flash. I'm only half joking. I really hate my shiny face. It's a form of ugly to me. I know that everyone wants what they don't have but dry skin to me seems the lesser of two evils.
    Plus who wants to get close to an oily face? I have people getting close to me and being near my face. Someone help. Magic potion please.

Bronze Member

I use Proactiv. It doesn't clear my skin of acne but it does dry it out for a while.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information