Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nail Polish

Default Nail Polish

So it has been 34 days since I last chewed my nails (I can't believe I succeeded in quitting this time! I am so proud of myself!! Lol, anyway...), and because I chewed them for 18 years, my nailbeds are kind of short, but I'm hoping that perhaps they might lengthen up in the future. So for now, I'd like to paint them. Especially since I've never been able to do it before and have them look good! And the point of this post is, basically, what is the best brand of nailpolish, and what colours would you guys suggest as like a neutral every day kind. Rest assured, I'm not about to go out and buy like firetruck red!

Default Re: Nail Polish

Sally Hanson is really great and makes the nails strong. And congrats on breaking the habit!

I usually polish my nails with Maybelline clear, but after kicking that habit, I'm sure you want something a little flashier. But I wanted to say congrats to you on laying off your nails. That's quite an achievement after 18 years!

Thanks for the congrats. The only time before I managed to quit even temporarily was when I went to Greece last spring break, because I was too busy travelling to chew my nails! But I started again when we got home, and it was only 12 days. It will be 5 weeks tomorrow that I haven't chewed. I feel like an recovered addict, counting the days I've been sober! My nails aren't actually as weak as I expected them to be too, I've only broken one and that's because I work as a dishwasher and I got it stuck on one of the holes in a large colander.

Bronze Member

I have this same problem....i quit chewing my nails a few years ago and am tired of either clear nail polish or........the dreaded french manicure......any color just does not look right.....i just bought OPI in samoan sand......the best i can describe it is nude. I haven't used it yet.....I'll let ya know how it works.

Hit By Ban Bus! UndercoverGator's Avatar

Estee or MAC. They stay on a long time.

Loreal 'Jet Set' is pretty good for the money. And it dries quickly.....

OPI makes nice polish... but I always went with the cheap stuff so I could have a huge collection. I had over 50 bottles at one point. Now I don't own any.

I would go with a sheer pink most of the time. I found that certain pale shades didn't work with my skintone, though, so you have to be careful.

Maybe you should go get a manicure and ask for shade suggestions?

I can't keep nailpolish on my fingernails more than a few days max before they chip, no matter the brand or if they're fresh manicures or what. So I just buff my fingernails.

My toenails I keep polished, though. They generally keep a week without it coming off. And when it does, it usually starts with one of my middle toes, and the polish literally pops off.

I have some base and top coat I got from Sally's Beauty Supply - their brand I think. I mentioned a while back that my daughter gets a discount at the "real" beauty supply store, so I get OPI for $3.75, I think. I love it. They have great shades.

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyMix
    For every day wear, I just like to use a sheer natural color( like a really light beige)...not clear, mind you. It makes the nails look healthy and clean.
    Same. I like OPI (a bit over-priced tho), L'Oreal (good quality for the money), and China Glaze. I've tried everything from Dior to Chanel and Revlon, and I keep going back to those three. There are some salon polishes that are good, too.

OPI is a really good nail polish, it stays shiny for a long time.

A great salon brand is Develop 10. I recently found a bottle in my collection that is at least 15 years old and it goes on perfectly. It hasn't thickened, and the colour is shiny and wonderful.

I'll buy more if I can find it.

Lil

I never do my fingernails, but always have painted toenails once the weather is warm enough for sandals. My top tip would be to use a base coat as it makes the colour go on more evenly, and stops your nails getting stained if you are using strong colours. Do two thin coats rather than one thick one, and then put top coat on - makes it shinier and harder wearing. I get a good week out of each painting if I do it properly.

I used to use lots of quirky colours on my toes, but recently came over all traditional and used lots of reds and strong pinks. My favourite brands last summer were YSL - they do several really fabulous reds, really deep, strong colours - and OPI, which others have also said.
    A big boy did it and ran away.

Quote Originally Posted by moocow
    I can't keep nailpolish on my fingernails more than a few days max before they chip, no matter the brand or if they're fresh manicures or what. So I just buff my fingernails.
    I buff my fingernails too and they look great but since doing so I have noticed that nailpolish does not last long at all. We are most probably buffing away the texture that un-buffed nails have that help the polish to 'stick' to. I'va also noticed that they split more easily too so I'm now wary about over buffing.

Oh for sure, you have to watch over-buffing. I've heard that if you're going to use nail polish, don't use the polish side of the buffer.

I buff out the ridges, then do the polish part. I have a much softer buffer now, so it's not like sanding it down the way some do.

At any rate, I use the buffer to make up for the fact that I don't use nailpolish on my fingernails.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information