Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Products that REALLY work with improving complexion

Default Products that REALLY work with improving complexion

I'm 24 now and feel as though I have battling with my complexion since I was probably 12/13 years old. I don't know what is like to actually wake up with clear skin, don't feel comfortable swimming because my make up will come off and have been in an 8yr relationship where my partner has never actually seen my face without make up.

My skin completely effects every single aspect on my life. It's not vanity per se, but I check my skin constantly. It's oily and I've tried mattifying products. Its dry in places, I've tried rich moisturisers. I have tried drinking 2-3litres of water a day in an attempt to improve it but nothing seems to help. It doesn't get worse around the time of my period, its just totally hit and miss so can cause loads of stress in the run up to a big event.

On occasion I've called in sick with a "headache" because of my bad skin, stayed in from nights out and not gone out with friends for a couple of drinks after work because I dont have my makeup with me and feel like what I already have on would need a refresh before I could go out. I'm staying home with my family at the moment, and I even put concealor on to walk the 3 feet from my bedroom into the bathroom first thing in the morning in case my dad, mum or brother is in the hallway and catches me without makeup.

Even if my spots were improved, my skins itself is still bad. I have freckles which I had IPL laser treatment for once but which didn't help and my general pigmentation is pasty. I feel like my skin makes me look unhealthy and dehydrated even though I'm not.

I need SOMETHING... ANYTHING as my skins has now been affecting my lifestyle for over 10 years and is completely limiting the activities I can take part in. Even staying over on a girlie weekend with some friends where I was sharing a room with 2 other female friends caused my intense panic and a work bonding day that involved quad biking was impossible for me in case mud splattered my face.

To someone who hasn't experienced the devestating affects of bad skin I know this doesn't seem like a major issue, but it genuinely is. I look with absolute jealously at girls with lovely skin and just cannot comprehend what it must be like to wake up looking halfway decent.

I feel like I have tried every single skin treatment, face mask and medication and pill that the doctors are able to offer and have run out of ideas. Nothing seems to work for me, so no way I'm kind of looking for a miracle!

Is there anybody out there with the same issue, anybody in the same boat, or are there any 'miracle' treatments out there?

Fed up.

Save your money on any miracle cures and get yourself to a dermatologist. You may need to try a few before you get the right one for you, but your money is much better spent there.
    ...of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.

I agree with Abbey ... also, I used to have awful skin until I stopped all products, only washed with water and moisturized with jojoba oil. I'm not kidding at all - awful skin. Turns out I have a corn allergy and virtually ALL beauty products have vegetable glycerin, corn starch or some other corn derivitive in them. You may have a larger issue than just acne!

Get to the source of the problem. In the meantime, if you can bear it, I would cut out all of the concealer and makeup, etc. It's probably not making the situation better.

Quote Originally Posted by burnt_toast View Post
    I agree with Abbey ... also, I used to have awful skin until I stopped all products, only washed with water and moisturized with jojoba oil. I'm not kidding at all - awful skin. Turns out I have a corn allergy and virtually ALL beauty products have vegetable glycerin, corn starch or some other corn derivitive in them. You may have a larger issue than just acne!

Get to the source of the problem. In the meantime, if you can bear it, I would cut out all of the concealer and makeup, etc. It's probably not making the situation better.
    yes to the bolded part...i'm thinking that it could be some kind of allergy or systemic issue.

good luck...i hope that you find a solutuion!
    white, black, puerto rican/everybody just a freakin'/good times were rollin'.

Sounds like you need Accutane. Have you tried it?

Wow, that must suck for you...
    I suffered with psoriasis for a few months which covered my entire body (including my face) so I do understand what you are going through. Luckily it was cureable.
    I still get the occasional break-out of spots (at 29!!) but nothing that affects my life too adversely. I find tea-tree oil helps.

I'm afraid I can't offer any great advice about products, but I do think that it is probably not as bad as you think it is. It sounds a little like you have made it a really big issue in your head, I don't mean that unkindly...I had issues with my bikini line for years (I'm a hairy mary) and it has stopped me from swimming and going to the beach and any other activities that involve showing THAT area (including sex as well!) but I have learnt with time that it is not as bad as I think it is, I have to live with it, and generally other people don't care that much anyway. It sounds like one of the things you need to do is come to terms with the fact that it will be a part of your life. Maybe go out without makeup for once (even go to a different town if that is better) and be amazed that people don't point and stare in horror at you. Could the fact that you wear lots of make-up be a factor? Maybe you should ease off on the make-up, it might be making the condition worse.

I'm sorry I'm not very helpful but I do understand what you're going through.

Hit By Ban Bus!

I feel for you. Definitely get to a dermatologist. You will wonder why you waited so long.

I recommend dead sea salt products. But I generally do nothing to my face and I have good skin. I don't even wash it daily beyond a bit of dove and water. So? Maybe all these treatments are the problem.

I completely sympathize. And I tried to get on Accutane, but there's so much involved including constant blood work that my mom told me it didn't sound safe and she wouldn't let me do it (being under 18, I needed her permission). Anyway, my acne isn't completely horrible but it's bad enough to where I don't feel comfortable without makeup on either.

But since both of my parents had acne and theirs went away eventually, I'm assuming/hoping/praying mine will too.

Have you tried an oral antibiotic?

A dermatologist sounds the key - agree with other posters.

I went on Accutane and it was a miracle product for me. There are some side effects, but I knew about them and had products ready to counteract them. (Eg dry lips, so I used Amalin and kept a supply with me throughout the day and used it at night before sleeping). I was desperate too and know exactly how you feel.

A*O

Quote Originally Posted by Wiseguy View Post
    A dermatologist sounds the key - agree with other posters.

I went on Accutane and it was a miracle product for me. There are some side effects, but I knew about them and had products ready to counteract them. (Eg dry lips, so I used Amalin and kept a supply with me throughout the day and used it at night before sleeping). I was desperate too and know exactly how you feel.
    Agree. My daughter struggled for many miserable years with acne and after taking Roaccutane for a month it completely vanished, and stayed gone. Yes there are some side-effects - mainly dry lips/eyes and you mustn't get preggo while taking it - but it was totally worth the mild inconvenience of keeping some lip balm handy. I don't use the word "miracle" very often but in this case it's true. Go and see a dermatologist ASAP or perhaps your GP will prescribe it for you.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

I use ProActive every morning/night... I don't use all 3 of the products it comes with, just the face scrub. I hated it at first as it dried out my skin, but once I kept using it my skin was clear and no dry side effects.

I'll break out before my period.. but other then that it works like a charm!

A*O

We tried Pro Active too but it didn't work. The medication really is a last resort but if you've tried everything else without success it's worth it. You only need to take it for up to 6 months. I forgot, you do need a couple of blood tests too (can't remember why) but again, if acne is making your life absolute hell it's well worth it.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    We tried Pro Active too but it didn't work. The medication really is a last resort but if you've tried everything else without success it's worth it. You only need to take it for up to 6 months. I forgot, you do need a couple of blood tests too (can't remember why) but again, if acne is making your life absolute hell it's well worth it.
    Can you please explain this to my mother? She freaks out about blood tests and all that so she wouldn't let me get on it, never mind all the trouble I've gone through with acne.

It's worth seeing a doctor because bad skin can sometimes be due to hormone imbalances - especially oily skin, it's linked to excess testosterone or being too stressed out - causes the hormones to go haywire. And I know it's difficult, but wearing makeup won't help your skin improve. The best thing for your skin is letting it breathe. Seriously try going without when you can. You might suffer at first and feel self conscious as I did but when it starts looking better, you won't look back. I think constant foundation wearing dulls the skin. For years I didn't wake up with the glow I have now that I only wear foundation when it's absolutely necessary - and usually only at night. Makeup can be part of the problem. It also doesn't disguise poor skin as well as you think, and it can look so much worse when its obvious you're trying to hide it. On top of looking bad, it also isn't helping the skin. It really is BEST to go natural, and not aggravate spots with foundation because no matter how well you clean it off later, it had all day (and night) to sink into your skin and cause more damage. If you're using a good cleanser or start taking medication, smothering your face in makeup is just going to defeat the purpose. A dermatologist told me that wearing makeup is a temporary fix for people who don't think about/don't care what will happen to their skin in the long-run. I'm not talking wearing foundation ocassionally, I mean EVERY DAY use, where the skin doesn't get a break. Also, drink plenty of water too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information